2007–08 Süper Lig
|Goals scored||786 (2.57 per match)|
|Top goalscorer||Semih Şentürk (17)|
|Biggest home win||Galatasaray 6–0 Konyaspor
(16 September 2007)
|Biggest away win||Gaziantepspor 0–5 Fenerbahçe
(20 January 2008)
|Highest scoring||Galatasaray 6–3 Manisaspor (9 February 2008) (9 goals)|
The 2007–08 Süper Lig season, (also known as the Turkcell Süper Lig for sponsorship reasons), was the 50th anniversary of top-flight professional football in Turkey. It was won by Galatasaray, who won their 17th championship.
Since Turkey had climbed from fifteenth to fourteenth place in the UEFA association coefficient rankings at the end of the 2006–07 season and Champions League-bound Zenit St. Petersburg won the UEFA Cup 2007-08, the domestic cup winner, Kayserispor, which had qualified for the 2nd qualifying round of the UEFA Cup 2008-09, was promoted to the 1st round, filling the unused title holder spot.
The three relegated clubs would be replaced by 3 promoted clubs from the Bank Asya 1. Lig. Gençlerbirliği OFTAŞ and İstanbul Büyükşehir Belediyespor earned automatic promotion. Altay S.K., Diyarbakırspor, Kasımpaşa S.K., and Malatyaspor played in the play-off tournament, with Kasımpaşa coming out victorious, becoming the third and last club to be promoted to the Turkcell Super League.
- 1 Events
- 2 League table
- 3 Coaches
- 4 Statictics
- 5 Assist Table
- 6 Tablewise results
- 7 Kit and shirt sponsors
- 8 Stadiums
- 9 Teams promoted/relegated
- 10 2007/8 Fixtures
- 11 References
The league started with a surprise score. Istanbul Büyükşehir Belediyespor managed to defeat the national powerhouse Fenerbahçe with a clear score of 2–0. Another important event of the first week was the record of Hakan Şükür. By scoring two goals, he managed to reach to the record of the most goals scored domestically. The Trabzonspor-Sivasspor match was suspended due to "player and fan trouble", just minutes before the referee would end it. Federation declared a Sivasspor victory of 0–3 afterwards. This caused a harsh opposition from the Trabzonspor side.
The first derby of the season was the main event of this week but the decision of Karl Heinz Feldkamp became the center of the discussion rather than the match between Galatasaray and Beşiktaş because he decided to exclude two important players of his team, Şükür and Lincoln, from the match squad. The reason was their disciplinary problems. This week is also worth mentioning because none of the matches ended with a draw.
Fenerbahçe, after collecting five points in three Champions League matches, faced the newcomer of the league, Kasımpaşa. Fenerbahçe hardly won the game which they were expected to dominate. On the other field of the competition, Galatasaray secured the victory in the last minutes and the surprise leader of the 9th Week, Sivasspor, was defeated by the desperate Konyaspor. One of the key events of the week was the transfer of Ersun Yanal, former national team manager, to Trabzonspor. Ziya Doğan left his seat after the shocking defeat at the hands of Beşiktaş in the 9th week where Trabzonspor lost its early advantage of 2–0 and ended up losing the game 2–3.
Beşiktaş hosted Galatasaray on their 319th randez-vous. Both teams had critical absences such as injured Bobo and suspended Lincoln. Beşiktaş won the game with final score of 1–0. Mert Nobre have scored to Galatasaray for the 6th time in his career as he already scored 3 whilst his Fenerbahçe spelling. Nobre could only score once in the first halve of season, then he accelerated his form and earned 6 goals until 24th week. Thereby, Beşiktaş captured the top of table after 137 weeks of the league. Almost entire Beşiktaş squad and board including chairman Yıldırım Demirören and coach Ertuğrul Sağlam had achieved the top position of the league for the very first time in their personal careers; squad exceptions were Serdar Özkan, Gökhan Zan, and captain İbrahim Üzülmez.
The most important match up of the weekend was between Beşiktaş and Fenerbahçe. Sarı Kanaryalar had already captured the leadership previous week, Beşiktaş was on target to overtake them again as the home side winner on last 6 weeks.
Fenerbahçe started the match well with the header of Alex after Colin Kazım-Richards' cross from the right side. Kazım will have been to score against Chelsea on next match in Champions League. Beşiktaş equalized the scoresheet with Serdar Özkan's goal; however, Alex closed the curtain with his second goal as he became the man of the match. This was a big impact on Beşiktaş due to the victory of Sivasspor as they even lost the second place which they would lose the chance to join Champions League next season. During the match, Yıldırım Demirören's mother got feel faint, it was diagnosed that she had a sudden hypertension. Demirören had to leave the match in early minutes. Alex was protested by Beşiktaş supporters after manupulated the situations during the corner kicks. More interestingly, referee had added 4 and 8 minutes of stopagge time, sum of 12.
Galatasaray was fined by TFF and played against Gaziantepspor with no audience. This was the 6th match without the supporters this season due to be disciplined; nevertheless Cimbom was able to win 5 times that far. They had a 0–0 draw with Gaziantep.
Turkish Professional Discipline Board fined Beşiktaş for two matches, one to play in a neutral stadium and one with no audience due to manifestations consisting oaths on TFF and the referees in the match against Fenerbahçe previous weekend.
The most unexpected news was the resignation of Karl-Heinz Feldkamp from Galatasaray. Club officials declared that the reason was the opinion gap between Feldkamp and club board. On the later emerging news on the papers, it was claimed that the very last reason was Feldkamp's tactical changes on the team and selection before the match against Gençlerbirliği which did not consist Hakan Şükür, Hasan Şaş and Okan Buruk.
Sivasspor hosted Beşiktaş as Fenerbahçe did for Kayserispor in the very crucial encounters of the weekend. Galatasaray was the guest of Gençlerbirliği. All three matches finished with narrow scores, therefore Fenerbahçe kept going as the leader. Lincoln was the scorer for Cimbom.
At the biggest game of the season, Galatasaray defeated Fenerbahçe 1–0 at the Ali Sami Yen Stadium and went three points clear at the top of the table. Çaykur Rizespor were relegated to Bank Asya 1. Lig, after their away match loss against Kayserispor with a 3–0 score.
Vestel Manisaspor were relegated to Bank Asya 1. Lig, after a home loss against relegated Kasımpaşa with a 2–1 score. Galatasaray defeated Sivasspor 5–3 at an away match and took a big step to the title. Fenerbahçe defeated Gençlerbirliği 3–2 at home and guaranteed UEFA Champions League qualification.
Galatasaray won their 17th championship in its history by defeating Gençlerbirliği Oftaş 2–0. Fenerbahçe finished 2nd losing 2–0 to Trabzonspor. Beşiktaş finished 3rd and captured a UEFA Cup spot by winning 5–1 against relegated Vestel Manisaspor. Sivasspor won 2–0 against Gençlerbirliği, but could only qualify for UEFA Intertoto Cup after finishing 4th, behind Fenerbahçe and Beşiktaş, because of a poor head to head record against those two teams.
||Qualification or relegation
|1||Galatasaray A.Ş. (C)||34||24||7||3||64||23||+41||79||2008–09 UEFA Champions League Third qualifying round|
|2||Fenerbahçe A.Ş.||34||22||7||5||72||37||+35||73||2008–09 UEFA Champions League Second qualifying round||FEN:12 pts
BEŞ:3 pts, 5–7
SİV:3 pts, 4–8
|3||Beşiktaş A.Ş.||34||23||4||7||58||32||+26||73||2008–09 UEFA Cup Second qualifying round|
|4||Sivasspor||34||23||4||7||57||29||+28||73||2008 UEFA Intertoto Cup Second round|
|5||Kayserispor||34||15||10||9||50||31||+19||55||2008–09 UEFA Cup First round 1|
|8||MKE Ankaragücü||34||11||10||13||36||44||−8||43||GAZ 2–1 ANG
ANG 1–0 GAZ
|10||Osmanlıspor Futbol Kulübü||34||10||11||13||35||38||−3||41|
|12||İstanbul B.B.||34||10||8||16||44||47||−3||38||BUR 2–2 İBB
İBB 1–0 BUR
|16||Manisaspor (R)||34||7||8||19||42||62||−20||29||MAN:7 pts
|17||Çaykur Rizespor A.Ş. (R)||34||7||8||19||32||64||−32||29|
|18||Kasımpaşa A.Ş. (R)||34||8||5||21||26||56||−30||29|
Updated to games played on 25 September 2008.
Rules for classification: 1) points; 2) goal difference; 3) number of goals scored
1winner of Turkish Cup.
(C) = Champion; (R) = Relegated; (P) = Promoted; (E) = Eliminated; (O) = Play-off winner; (A) = Advances to a further round.
Only applicable when the season is not finished:
(Q) = Qualified to the phase of tournament indicated; (TQ) = Qualified to tournament, but not yet to the particular phase indicated; (RQ) = Qualified to the relegation tournament indicated; (DQ) = Disqualified from tournament.
Below is the list of coaches who left their teams after the start of the season.
|Team||Name||Nationality||Weeks in charge|
|Kasımpaşa S.K.||Ömer Kadri Özcan||1–7|
|Kasımpaşa S.K.||Werner Lorant||9–14|
|Çaykur Rizespor||Safet Sušić||4–20|
Top goal scorers
- Last updated on 10 May 2008
|Filip Hološko||Vestel Manisaspor / Beşiktaş||15|
|Antonio de Nigris||Gaziantepspor / Ankaraspor||14|
|Necati Ateş||Ankaraspor / Istanbul Büyükşehir Belediyespor||11|
|Mohamed Ali Kurtuluş||Sivasspor||10|
- Last updated on 21 December 2008
|Erman Kılıç||Istanbul Büyükşehir Belediyespor||10|
|Filip Hološko||Manisaspor / Besiktas||10|
|Sinan Kaloğlu||Bursaspor||Gençlerbirliği||3–1||25 August 2007|
|Antonio de Nigris||Gaziantepspor||Kayserispor||4–3||16 September 2007|
|Adriano Padilha Nascimento||İstanbul BB||Manisaspor||4–1||30 September 2007|
|Alex de Souza||Fenerbahçe||Ankaraspor||4–2||24 November 2007|
|Murat Hacıoğlu||Konyaspor||Manisaspor||4–2||9 December 2007|
|Shabani Nonda||Galatasaray||Çaykur Rizespor||5–2||12 January 2008|
|Burak Yılmaz||Manisaspor||Denizlispor||3–2||27 January 2008|
|Hakan Şükür||Galatasaray||Manisaspor||6–3||9 February 2008|
|Ivan Tsvetkov||Sivasspor||Kasımpaşa||4–0||30 March 2008|
|Arda Turan||Galatasaray||Sivasspor||5–3||4 May 2008|
Last updated on 4 May 2008
|Home / Away||ANG||ANK||BJK||BUR||ÇRZ||DEN||FEN||GSY||GAZ||GBR||GOF||İBB||KAS||KAY||KON||SİV||TRB||VMN|
|İstanbul BŞ Belediye||1–2||0–1||2–1||1–0||2–1||0–2||2–0||0–3||1–2||0–0||1–0||2–0||1–1||5–0||0–2||1–2||4–1|
Kit and shirt sponsors
|Büyükşehir Belediyespor||Atatürk Olympic Stadium||82,000|
|Fenerbahçe||FB Şükrü Saracoğlu Stadium||55,509|
|Beşiktaş||BJK İnönü Stadium||32,086|
|Kayserispor||Kayseri Atatürk Stadium||25,918|
|Galatasaray||Ali Sami Yen Stadium||23,785|
|Konyaspor||Konya Atatürk Stadium||22,459|
|Trabzonspor||Hüseyin Avni Aker Stadium||19,649|
|MKE Ankaragücü||Ankara 19 Mayıs Stadium||19,209|
|Gençlerbirliği||Ankara 19 Mayıs Stadium||19,209|
|Gençlerbirliği Oftaşspor||Ankara 19 Mayıs Stadium||19,209|
|Bursaspor||Bursa Atatürk Stadium||18,587|
|Denizlispor||Denizli Atatürk Stadium||15,459|
|Kasımpaşa||Recep Tayyip Erdoğan Stadium||13,500|
|Gaziantepspor||Gaziantep Kamil Ocak Stadium||14,325|
|Sivasspor||Sivas 4 Eylül Stadium||11,500|
|Çaykur Rizespor||Rize Atatürk Stadium||10,459|
|Vestel Manisaspor||Manisa 19 Mayıs Stadium||10,025|
|Ankaraspor||Yenikent Asaş Stadium||25,000|
- Kasımpaşa temporarily played their first 12 home matches at Atatürk Olympic Stadium, due to ongoing renovations at their home stadium. Her stadium's capacity was extended from 9,576 to 13, 5000 during the renovations.
- Galatasaray temporarily played their first home match at Atatürk Olympic Stadium, due to ongoing renovations at their home stadium.
The teams promoted from the TFF First League for the 2006–07 season:
The teams relegated to the TFF First League for the 2006–07 season:
- "Turkish-soccer.com". Archived from the original on 13 May 2007. Retrieved 4 May 2007.
- Opinions of football columnists about Fenerbahçe Retrieved on 12 September 2007
- UEFA news about Hakan Şükür Retrieved on 12 September 2007
- Yönetim Kurulu Kararları
- Can coach Ersun Yanal Deliver at Trabzonspor?
- Trabzonspor:2 Beşiktaş:3
- BJK-GS derbi tarihinden ilginç notlar Eng:(Interesting notes of derby matches history
- Lincoln'e Taciz (Eng:Lincoln was teased in half time
- Derbiden Koltuk Çıktı
- Galatarasay'ın Belalısı Nobre Eng:(Nobre,troubler of Gala
- Zirvedeli 5 takımın son 10 maçı
- Galatasaray'ı Yenen Beşiktaş Lider
- Beşiktaş'ta ilk kez liderlik yaşayanlar
- "Derbi Maca Dogru Ilk 11'ler". 29 March 2008. Archived from the original on 31 March 2008. Retrieved 3 May 2008.(Turkish)
- "Kartal Ağır Yaralı". hurriyet.com.tr. 29 March 2008. Archived from the original on 3 June 2008. Retrieved 5 May 2008.(Turkish)
- "İnönü Sambacısı". hurriyet.com.tr. 29 March 2008. Retrieved 2 May 2008.(Turkish)
- "Maç Sonucu". milliyet.com.tr. 29 March 2008. Archived from the original on 28 April 2008. Retrieved 5 May 2008.(Turkish)
- "Demiroren'i Korkutan Olay". hurriyet.com.tr. 29 March 2008. Retrieved 5 May 2008.(Turkish)
- "Once kivrandi, sonra kullandi.". hurriyet.com.tr. 29 March 2008. Retrieved 4 May 2008.(Turkish)
- "Galatasaray sessizliği seviyor". milliyet.com.tr. 29 March 2008. Archived from the original on 31 May 2008. Retrieved 5 May 2008.(Turkish)
- "Beşiktaş'a Şok Ceza". hurriyet.com.tr. 8 April 2008. Retrieved 8 May 2008.(Turkish)
- "Beşiktaş'a Seyircisiz Oynama ve Saha Kapatma Cezası". haberler.com. 8 April 2008. Archived from the original on 16 April 2008. Retrieved 8 May 2008.(Turkish)
- "Galatasaray Teknik Direktoru Feldkamp Istifa Etti.". hurriyet.com.tr. 4 April 2008. Retrieved 12 April 2008.(Turkish)
- "İşte Kallinin Son Çılgınlığı". milliyet.com.tr. 7 April 2008. Archived from the original on 11 April 2008. Retrieved 17 April 2008.(Turkish)
- "Kallinin İpini Çeken Şok İddia.". hurriyet.com.tr. 7 April 2008. Retrieved 17 April 2008.(Turkish)
- "Lincoln Çamurdan Çıkardı.". hurriyet.com.tr. 6 April 2008. Retrieved 5 May 2008.(Turkish)
- "Avcı için karar günü". hurriyet.com.tr. 6 April 2008. Retrieved 5 May 2008.(Turkish)
- "Nouma: Şampiyon Beşiktaş olacak". hurriyet.com.tr. 6 April 2008. Retrieved 5 May 2008.(Turkish)
- "Şampiyon Gibi". hurriyet.com.tr. 4 May 2008. Retrieved 4 May 2008.(Turkish)
- "Takibe Devam". hurriyet.com.tr. 4 May 2008. Retrieved 8 May 2008.(Turkish)
- "Kim şampiyon, kim UEFA'da?". milliyet.com.tr. 10 May 2008. Archived from the original on 13 May 2008. Retrieved 10 May 2008.(Turkish)
- http://www.haber3.com/haber.php?haber_id=268510 for the list at the beginning of the season
- Yeni Şafak – Spor – Briegel, Ankaragücü'ne veda etti – 25.10.2007
- Safet Susiç Ankaraspor’da
- Kurtar gitti, Denizli hırslandı
- Galatasaray'da sorumlu Cevat Güler
- Genclerbirliği Spor Kulübü Resmi Web Sitesi Mesut Bakkal imzayı attı
- Konyaspor, Raşit Çetiner'le anlaştı
- Manisaspor Levent Eriş ile anlaştı]
- Vestel Manisaspor Yılmaz Vural ile yollarını ayırdı]
- Hürriyet Spor – Çaykur Rizespor Metin Diyadin'le anlaştı – 2 Mayıs, 2008
- Çaykur Rizespor Erdoğan Arıca ile yollarını ayırdı
- Çaykur Rizespor, Erdoğan Arıca ile anlaştı / Spor / Milliyet İnternet
- Ersun Yanal Trabzonspor’da
- Hikmet Karaman başkent ekibinde | haber7com
- Ligtv.com.tr – Haber – "Korkmaz'la karşılıklı feshettik"
- CNN TÜRK.com – Haberler – Spor Futbol – Trabzonspor'da Doğan istifa etti – 22 Ekim, 2007
- Aykut Kocaman istifa etti | haber7com
- G.Birliği hocasız kaldı | haber7com
- Efsane Fotopor Fotospor Haber: Kadir Özcan istifa etti (2 October 2007)
- Sağlam istifa etti! YENİÇAĞ – Güncel haberler, yazarlar,siyaset, son dakika, haber, anında haber, spor,yeniçağ ,Yeni çağ, milliyetçilik,atatürk
- VE SAMET AYBABA İSTİFA ETTİ! – Futbol – Ajansspor.com
- Bülent Korkmaz Gençlerbirliği’nde... / Spor / Milliyet İnternet
- Werner Lorant the end! / SPOR 3
- Mesut Bakkal zehir zemberek / SPOR 3
- Nurullah Sağlam Gaziantep’e döndü
- Vestel Manisaspor'da Giray Bulak istifa etti
- Karl Heinz Feldkamp istifa etti
- www.kuzeyhaber.com | Karadeniz Bölgesi'nin Online Gazetesi
- Nurullah Sağlam Gaziantep’e döndü
- Goal.com – Turkcell Süper Lig – Gençlerbirliği'nde Bülent Korkmaz'ın görevine son verildi
- Ankaraspor, Hikmet Karaman İle yollarını ayırdı
- CNN TÜRK.com – Haberler – Spor Futbol – Konyaspor'da Karaman imzaladı – 28 Eylül, 2007
- Konyaspor teknik direktörü Ünal Karaman görevinden istifa etti
- Denizlispor Güvenç Kurtar ile yollarını ayırdı
- Süper Lig Panorama
- Türkiye Futbol Federasyonu Turkcell Süper Lig Puan Cetveli ve Fikstürü
- Turkish Football Federation TFF Home Page – Turkcell Super League 1. Week Results
- Radikal-çevrimiçi / Spor / Skor 3–0, Sivasspor ikinci
- Türkiye Futbol Federasyonu Stad Arama