The S&P MidCap 400 Index, more commonly known as the S&P 400, is a stock market index from S&P Dow Jones Indices. The index serves as a barometer for the U.S. mid-cap equities sector and is the most widely followed mid-cap index in existence. To be included in the index, a stock must have a total market capitalization that ranges from roughly $750 million to $3.3 billion. The index was launched on June 19, 1991.
It has set a series of all-time highs since the Federal Reserve announced its third round of recent quantitative easing in mid-September 2012. At the weekly and monthly close of November 30, 2012, the index settled at the 1,000 point mark, and it has continued to rise in early 2013, setting new records above 1,200 by mid-May.
Its current record close is 1,445.16, set on July 1, 2014.
Its current all-time intraday high is 1,452.01, reached on July 1, 2014.
The following exchange-traded funds (ETFs) attempt to track this index and sub-indexes:
- Index Fund: SPDR S&P MidCap 400 ETF (NYSE Arca: MDY) & iShares Core S&P Mid-Cap ETF (NYSE Arca: IJH)
- Growth Index Fund: iShares S&P MidCap 400 Growth ETF (NYSE Arca: IJK)
- Value Index Fund: iShares S&P Mid-Cap 400 Value ETF (NYSE Arca: IJJ)
The SPDR fund was first, but the iShares fund is bigger; also they have different structures.
The "S&P 400" generally quoted is a price return index; there are also "total return" and "net total return" versions of the index. These versions differ in how dividends are accounted for. The price return version does not account for dividends; it only captures the changes in the prices of the index components. The total return version reflects the effects of dividend reinvestment. Finally, the net total return version reflects the effects of dividend reinvestment after the deduction of withholding tax.
|Year||Price return||Total return||Net total return|
- "Standard & Poor’s Announces Update to the U.S. Market Cap Guidelines and Changes to U.S. Indices" (PDF). Standard & Poor’s. December 18, 2008. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- MDY - SPDR S&P MidCap 400 ETF State Street Global Advisors (SSgA)
- iShares Core S&P Mid-Cap ETF (IJH): Overview iShares
- Mid-Cap ETFs Find a Sweet Spot Yahoo Finance
- S&P MidCap 400 Factsheet
- Yahoo Finance page for ^MID
- Bloomberg page for MID:IND
- Standard & Poor's page for S&P MidCap 400 Index
|This article about stock exchanges is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|