The S&P SmallCap 600 Index, more commonly known as the S&P 600, is a stock market index from Standard & Poor's. It covers roughly the small-cap range of US stocks, using a capitalization-weighted index. As of January 2015, the market capital of companies included in the S&P SmallCap 600 Index ranged from US$ 400 million to US$ 1.8 billion. These smallcap stocks cover a narrower range of capitalization than the companies covered by the Russel 2000 Smallcap index which range from $169 million to $4 billion.  The market valuation for companies in the SmallCap Index and other indices change over times with inflation and the growth of publicly traded companies. The S&P 400 MidCap index combined with the SmallCap 400 compose the S&P 1000, and the S&P 1000 plus the S&P 500 comprise the S&P 1500. The index covers roughly three percent of the total US stock market. The index was launched on October 28, 1994. 
The following exchange-traded funds (ETFs) attempt to track the performance of the index:
- Index Fund: iShares Core S&P Small-Cap ETF (NYSE Arca: IJR)
SPDR S&P 600 Small Cap ETF (NYSE Arca: SLY)
- Growth Index Fund: iShares S&P Small-Cap 600 Growth ETF (NYSE Arca: IJT)
SPDR S&P 600 Small Cap Growth ETF (NYSE Arca: SLYG)
- Value Index Fund: iShares S&P Small-Cap 600 Value ETF (NYSE Arca: IJS)
SPDR S&P 600 Small Cap Value ETF (NYSE Arca: SLYV)
The "S&P 600" generally quoted is a price return index; there is also "total return" version of the index. These versions differ in how dividends are accounted for. The price return version does not account for dividends; it only captures the changes in the prices of the index components. The total return version reflects the effects of dividend reinvestment.
Annual returns of the S&P 600 Index from its introduction in 1994 to the last completed year are tabulated below.
|Year||Price return||Total return|
- S&P U.S. Indices Methodology, Jan. 2015, McGraw Hill
- "S&P SmallCap 600 -- Overview". Standard and Poors. Retrieved 2012-08-15.
- Small Caps: S&P 600 Vs. Russell 2000
- http://www.indexuniverse.com/sections/research/6065-a-tale-of-two-benchmarks.html A Tale Of Two Benchmarks
- Index Differences Crucial in Evaluating Small-Cap ETFs - Yahoo Finance Yahoo! Finance
- Standard & Poors white paper, A Tale of Two Benchmarks
- S&P SmallCap 600 Factsheet, 
- Yahoo Finance page for ^SP600
- Bloomberg page for SML:IND
- Standard & Poor's page for S&P SmallCap 600 Index
|This finance-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|