|Music by||George Gershwin|
|Lyrics by||Ira Gershwin|
|Original artist||Adele Astaire and Allen Kearns (1927)|
|Recorded by||Bing Crosby, Julie London, Helen Merrill, Ella Fitzgerald, Susannah McCorkle, Rita Reys, Skylab, Rod Stewart, Brian Wilson|
The song is considered a standard and has been recorded by many artists, especially jazz artists. In 1928, Adele Astaire, who introduced the song on stage the previous year, recorded one of the earliest versions with Bernard Clifton. Other vocal versions include those of Brian Wilson, Anita O'Day, Gene Kelly, Ella Fitzgerald, Judy Garland, Joe Williams, John Pizzarelli, Sarah Vaughan, Karrin Allyson, Diana Krall, João Gilberto and Engelbert Humperdinck. There have also been purely instrumental recordings, for example, by Dave Grusin, Ray Conniff, Lee Konitz and Lennie Tristano, Sonny Stitt, and Lionel Hampton with Oscar Peterson.
The song was included in the 1951 movie An American in Paris, where it was sung by Gene Kelly and Georges Guétary, as well as in the 1957 American musical film Funny Face, in which it was performed by Audrey Hepburn and Fred Astaire. Doris Day also sang it in Starlift (1951) and Dean Martin sang it during the opening credits of the 1964 film Kiss Me, Stupid.
- Adele Astaire and Bernard Clifton (1928)
- Fred Astaire - The Astaire Story (1952)
- Count Basie & Joe Williams - The Greatest!! Count Basie Plays, Joe Williams Sings Standards (1956)
- Shirley Bassey - The Fabulous Shirley Bassey (1959)
- Royce Campbell - Get Happy (2007)
- June Christy - A Friendly Session, Vol. 1 (2000) with the Johnny Guarnieri Quintet
- Chris Connor - Warm Cool: The Atlantic Years (2000)
- Bing Crosby – The Bing Crosby CBS Radio Recordings (1954–56)
- Mark Eitzel - soundtrack of "Vidal Sassoon - The Movie" (2011)
- Ella Fitzgerald – Ella Fitzgerald Sings the George and Ira Gershwin Songbook (1959)
- Diana Krall - The Look of Love (2001).
- Julie London – Julie Is Her Name (1955)
- Susannah McCorkle – Someone to Watch Over Me—Songs of George Gershwin (1998), Most Requested Songs (2001)
- Helen Merrill – Helen Merrill, featuring Clifford Brown (1954)
- Anita O'Day - Anita Sings the Most (1957)
- Rosa Passos - Amorosa (2004)
- Rita Reys – Live at Carré (2007)
- Skylab – Red Hot + Rhapsody (1998)
- Whispering Jack Smith (1928)
- Rod Stewart – Stardust: The Great American Songbook, Volume III (2004)
- Sarah Vaughan - The Divine Sarah Sings (1954)
- Brian Wilson – Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin (2010)
- João Gilberto – Amoroso (1977)
- Billman, Larry (1997). Fred Astaire – A Bio-bibliography. Connecticut: Greenwood Press. p. 62. ISBN 0-313-29010-5.
|This jazz composition-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|