The S-500 is a new generation surface-to-air missile system, designed for intercepting intercontinental ballistic missiles and for defense against Airborne Early Warning and Control, Airborne Warning and Control System, and jamming aircraft. It is not an upgraded version of the S-400. With a planned range of 600 km (373 mi) Anti Ballistic Missile (ABM) and 400 km for the air defense, the S-500 would be able to detect and simultaneously engage up to 10 ballistic supersonic targets flying at a speed of 5 km/s, limit of 7. 6 years later have already spoken of height of 185 km and range of 3500, (3500 or more). However, the missile is not ready yet, but the possibility of other components will be made within such limits (as stated). The system is highly mobile and can easily be installed where there is a threat. Some experts believe that may affect the intercontinental ballistic missiles at the end and the middle portion, but it is obvious that the external target designation (RLS Voronezh-DM and missile defense system A-135 radar Don-2N).
In 2009, the system was under development at the design stage at Almaz-Antey, and had been planned to be completed in 2012. In February 2011, it was announced that the first S-500 systems should be in serial production by 2014. Under the State Armament Programme 2020 (GPV-2020), it is planned to purchase 10 S-500 battalions for the Russian Aerospace Defense (VKO).
In 2013, a prototype was unveiled in Moscow and military spokesmen said it worked spectacularly.
The main components of the S-500 will be:
- the launch vehicle 77P6, based on the BAZ-69096 10x10 truck;
- the command posts 55K6MA and 85Zh6-2 on BAZ-69092-12 6x6;
- the acquisition and battle management radar 91N6A(M), a modification of the 91N6 (Big Bird) towed by the BAZ-6403.01 8x8 tractor;
- the 96L6-TsP acquisition radar, an upgraded version of the 96L6 (Cheese Board) on BAZ-69096 10x10;
- the multimode engagement radar 76T6 on BAZ-6909-022 8x8;
- the ABM engagement radar 77T6 on BAZ-69096 10x10;
There is also a version of the system called S-1000, but it is not known what the difference between the two versions is.
In 2012, stated that the possibility of a C-500 RLS can detect targets at a distance of 3000 km (instrumental range) ballistic missile from a distance of 2000 km (0.9-0.95 probability of success) and a warhead of a target with the range 1300–1400 km (EPR 0.1 square meters) (these figures are given the media but not the government), comparing capabilities of the original S-300B to detect warhead missiles with a range of up to 1100 km constituted only 100 km.
Although sharing a similar designation, the relationship between this new S-500 and the S-500U project of the 1960s is unclear. The S-500U multichannel antiaircraft system was a 1968 initiative by the Soviet Air Defence Forces, Soviet Navy, Ministry of the Radio Industry (Ministerstvo Radio Promyshlennosti SSSR), and Ministry of the Shipbuilding Industry to create a unified complex for the National Air Defense Troops, Navy and Ground Troops. Missiles of the S-500U complex were supposed to engage enemy aircraft at a range up to 100 km. The S-500U SAM complex project was rejected by the Soviet Army, which had a requirement to engage not only enemy aircraft, but also short range ballistic missiles. Consequently the S-300 family (SA-10 and SA-12) was developed instead. Russia is developing two plants to produce the S-500 in 2015 (production) but some say the earliest will be 2017 (delivery to units). 5 batteries of S-500 missiles are to be in service by 2020. The S-500s will work with S-400s and will replace S-300 air defense missiles. The Russian military will start deploying S-500 missile systems in 2016, with a total of 10 batteries to be ordered. Development will be completed in 2015, and the system could enter service by 2017. The first units will be deployed around Moscow and the country's center area, with targets it will defend against to include medium-range ballistic missiles, hypersonic missiles, unmanned aerial vehicles, low-orbit satellites, and space weapons launched from hypersonic aircraft, drones, and hypersonic orbital platforms. A naval version is the likely armament for the new Leader-class air-defense destroyers due to enter service in 2023-25.
- "S-500/S-1000 (Russian Federation), Defensive weapons". Jane's Strategic Weapon Systems. 2009-02-10. Retrieved 2009-08-11.
- Paper, RU: RIA Novosti, 2009-12-17.
- "-500". Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- "Russia set to finish development of new air defense system". RIA Novosti. 16 September 2009. Retrieved 15 September 2009.
- "Russia creating new aerospace defence system". ITAR-TASS. 2009-08-11. Retrieved 2009-08-11.
- "TASS: Russia - First S-500 missile complex to be put on combat alert in central Russia". TASS. Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- "Статьи: Lenta.ru: Наука и техника: На уровень выше". Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- [vpk/0/ "-500"]. Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- "-500". Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- "Russia to revamp air-space defenses by 2020 — Air Force chief". RIA Novosti. 2009-08-11. Retrieved 2009-08-11.
- Military news, RU: RIA Novosti, 2009-12-17.
- Valeriy Ivanov on VKO, S-500, S-400 | Russian Defense Policy
- Almaz-Antey S-500 Triumfator M Self Propelled Air / Missile Defence System / SA-X-NN / Самоходный Комплекс Противоракетной / Противосамолетной Обороны С-500 «Триумфатор-М»
- In 2012, stated that the possibility of a C-500 RLS can detect targets at a distance of 3000 km (instrumental range) ballistic missile from a distance of 2000 km (0.9-0.95 probability of success) and a warhead of a target with the range 1300-1400km (EPR 0.1 square meters), comparing capabilities of the original S-300B to detect warhead missiles with a range of up to 1100km constituted only 100km.
- "Комплекс С-500: информация к размышлению". Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- Russian army will be equipped with S-500 new surface-to-air missile defense system for 2020 - Armyrecognition.com, 28 November 2013
- Russian armed forces will start deploying S-500 new long-range air defense missile system in 2016 - Armyrecognition.com, 10 August 2014
- First regiment of S-500 new air defense missile system will protect Moscow and center of Russia - Armyrecognition.com, 21 August 2014
- "New-generation missile destroyer under development in Russia". ITAR-TASS. 21 October 2014. Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- "S-500 Prometheus". Missile Threat. Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- "- .name". Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- "Ракетно-зенитный комплекс С-400 «Триумф» vs PATRIOT vs «Хома»". Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- "-400 Patriot". Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- Technical Report APA-TR-2011-0602 Almaz-Antey S-500 Triumfator M, Air Power Australia, 2011-06-16.
- System detail, Missile Threat.
- First S-500 missile complex to be put on combat alert in central Russia ITAR-TASS News Agency, 20 August 2014.