||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (October 2009)|
S.A. Griffin speaking at Beyond Baroque Literary Arts Center, Los Angeles.
|Born||March 16, 1954
San Antonio, Texas
Born in San Antonio, Texas and raised primarily in Richmond, California in what was once Easter Hill, Griffin lived in many small cities in the East Bay during his childhood. Graduated from Castro Valley High school in 1972. After a volunatry tour of duty in the United States Air Force, he lived in the Haight-Ashbury district of San Francisco before moving to Los Angeles in 1978 to pursue a successful career as an actor.
A Los Angeles-based poet, DJ for killradio.org and co-editor of The Outlaw Bible of American Poetry, awarded The Firecracker Award as best in alternative press, and named Best Performance Poet by Wanda Coleman for the LA Weekly in 1989, Griffin has traveled extensively throughout the Western United States and Canada with Los Angeles based poetry/performance ensemble, The Carma Bums.
Widely published and anthologized as a poet, he has also written for the LA Weekly and is a contributing writer for The Underground Guide to Los Angeles, which remained on The Los Angeles Times bestseller's list for nine weeks.
Griffin served honorably as a clerk typist in the United States Air Force from 1972–1976, and was stationed at Warner Robins Air Force Base in Georgia and Eielson Air Force Base in Alaska. He was an accomplished vocalist and performed as the lead singer with a local rock cover band while serving in Alaska.
Griffin is also a Dramalogue Award recipient, having played roles in films by several notable film directors, including Oliver Stone's World Trade Center (2006), Clint Eastwood's Pale Rider (1985), and Ivan Reitman's Twins (1988). Notable television guest star credits include Perry Mason, Matlock, Alien Nation, Designing Women, Melrose Place, Las Vegas, Dexter, Days of our Lives and appears as Dr. Osiris in the ride film In Search of the Obelisk directed by Douglas Trumbull at the Luxor Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada since 1992.
Griffin has appeared in over 150 commercials and was awarded the Kari Award Canada, as Best Actor in commercials.
- A One Legged Man Standing Casually On Hollywood Blvd. Smoking A Cigarette, (Shelf Life Press, 1989)
- etc., (Rose of Sharon Press 1993)
- Heaven Is One Long Naked Dance, (Rose of Sharon Press, 1993)
- Alien Landing pad by S.A. Griffin, Iris Berry, and Pleasant Gehman (Rose of Sharon Press, 1995)
- Twisted Cadillac by the Carma Bums (Sacred Beverage Press, 1996)
- The Bad Thing, (Phony Lid Publications, 2000)
- Unborn Again, (Phony Lid Publications, 2001)
- Duckwalking Thru The Apocalypse, (Bottle of Smoke Press, 2003)
- Armageddon Outta Here! by The Carma Bums: Scott Wannberg, S.A. Griffin, Mike M. Mollett, Mike Bruner, Doug Knott (2004)
- Harvey Keitel Harvey Keitel Harvey Keitel by S.A. Griffin, Scott Wannberg and John Dorsey (Butcher Shop Press, 2005)
- 2 by S.A. Griffin and John Dorsey, (Green Panda Press, 2006)
- Virgin Erotica by S.A. Griffin and John Dorsey (Green Panda Press, 2006)
- Numbskull Sutra, (Rank Stranger Press, 2007)
- John & Sarah Do D.C., (Bottle of Speech Press, 2008)
- The Fucker Inside, (Tainted Coffee Press, 2008)
- The Electric President, (Rose of Sharon Press 2008)
- The Feedbag by S.A. Griffin, John Dorsey, Jason Neese, David Smith and Jacob Johanson (Off Beat Pulp Press, 2008)
- Greatest Hits 1980-2007, (Pudding House, 2008)
- The Holy Spectacle by S.A. Griffin, John Dorsey, Jason Hardung, David Smith, Scott Wannberg and Iris Applequist (Off Beat Pulp Press, 2009)
- They Swear We Don't Exist, (Bottle of Smoke Press, 2010)
- The Open Ended It official site.
- S.A. Griffin at the Internet Movie Database
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmLxbVmF-Qo&feature=related - Video of S.A. Griffin's poem Walt Whitman's Beard.