S. Barry Cooper
S. Barry Cooper (born 1943) is a British mathematician and computability theorist. He is currently Professor of Mathematical Logic at the University of Leeds. His book Computability Theory (Chapman & Hall/CRC) has made this basic but technical research area accessible to a new generation of students. He is a leading mover of the return to basic questions of the kind considered by Alan Turing, and of interdisciplinary developments related to computability. He is currently President of the Association Computability in Europe, and is Chair of the Turing Centenary Advisory Committee (TCAC) which is co-ordinating the Alan Turing Year.
Barry Cooper graduated from Jesus College, Oxford in 1966, and in 1970 earned his Ph.D from University of Leicester under the supervision of Reuben Goodstein and C.E.M. Yates, with a thesis entitled Degrees of Unsolvability.
- Home page of S. Barry Cooper
- S. Barry Cooper's Mathematics Genealogy Page
- Computability in Europe Homepage
- The Alan Turing Centenary Homepage
Some books and papers
- S. B. Cooper, 2004. Computability Theory, Chapman & Hall/CRC. ISBN 1-58488-237-9
- S. B. Cooper; J. van Leeuwen (eds.), 2013. Alan Turing - His Work and Impact, New York: Elsevier, ISBN 978-0-123-86980-7
- S. B. Cooper, B. Löwe, A. Sorbi (eds.), 2008. New Computational Paradigms - Changing Conceptions of What is Computable, Springer. ISBN 978-1-58488-237-4
- Cooper, S. B.; Harrington, L.; Lachlan, A. H.; Lempp, S.; Soare, R. I. (1991). "The d.r.e. degrees are not dense". Annals of Pure and Applied Logic 55 (2): 125–151. doi:10.1016/0168-0072(91)90005-7.
- Cooper, S. B. (2006). "Definability as hypercomputational effect". Applied Mathematics and Computation 178: 72–82. doi:10.1016/j.amc.2005.09.072.
- Cooper, S. B. (2004). "The incomputable Alan Turing". British Computer Society, Electronic Workshops in Computing. Invited paper from 'Alan Mathison Turing 2004: A celebration of his life and achievements, Manchester University, 5 June 2004.
- Cooper, S. B.; Odifreddi, P. (2003). "Incomputability in Nature". In S. B. Cooper and S. S. Goncharov. Computability and Models: Perspectives East and West. Plenum Publishers, New York, Boston, Dordrecht, London, Moscow. pp. 137–160.
- Cooper, S. B. (1999). "Clockwork or Turing U/universe?". In S. B. Cooper and J. K. Truss. Models and Computability. London Mathematical Society Lecture Notes Series 259, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, New York, Melbourne. pp. 63–116.