S. Bear Bergman
|S. Bear Bergman|
|Born||September 22, 1974|
|Notable work(s)||"Butch Is A Noun"|
Bergman was educated at Concord Academy, was one of the founders of the first Gay–straight alliance and a member of the Governor of Massachusetts' Safe Schools Commission for LGBT youth. He received a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from Hampshire College in 1996.
Bergman's first book, Butch Is A Noun, was released in September 2006 by Suspect Thoughts Press and was nominated for a Lambda Literary Award in the GLBT Nonfiction category. A new edition was published by Arsenal Pulp Press in 2010. Bergman's second book, The Nearest Exit May Be Behind You, was released by Arsenal Pulp Press in the fall of 2009 and was a Lambda Literary Award finalist in the Transgender category. His most recent book for adults, co-edited with genderqueer author Kate Bornstein is Gender Outlaws: The Next Generation, which won a 2011 Lambda Literary Award in the LGBT Anthology category and a special Judges Award from the Publishing Triangle. He is also the author of two books for children (one of which, The Adventures of Tulip, Birthday Wish Fairy, was a 2013 Lambda Literary Award finalist in the LGBT Children’s/Young Adult category) and has a sixth book titled Blood, Marriage, Wine & Glitter published September 23, 2013 from Arsenal Pulp Press.
In addition, Bergman continues to lecture and perform solo shows at universities, festivals and theatres throughout the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom. These solo shows have received judges' awards at each of the last three the biennial National Gay & Lesbian Theatre Festival in Columbus, Ohio, including Best of the Festival and Best New Work. In 2005, Bergman was awarded a Massachusetts Cultural Council grant for playwriting, as well as a Millay Colony for the Arts Fellowship award. He has also been given an assortment of honors for service to the transgender community, including The Spirit of Stonewall Award, the Trans 100 and similar.
Bergman lives in Toronto, Ontario, and is married to activist J Wallace. They have one son, Stanley.
- Blood, Marriage, Wine & Glitter 2013, Arsenal Pulp Press, ISBN 978-1-55152-511-2
- The Adventures of Tulip, Birthday Wish Fairy 2012, Flamingo Rampant, ISBN 978-0987976307
- Backwards Day 2012, Flamingo Rampant, ISBN 978-0987976314
- Gender Outlaws: The Next Generation co-edited with Kate Bornstein. 2010, Seal Press ISBN 978-1-58005-308-2
- The Nearest Exit May Be Behind You 2009, Arsenal Pulp Press, ISBN 978-1-55152-264-7
- Butch Is A Noun 2006, reissued 2010, Arsenal Pulp Press, ISBN 978-1-55152-369-9
- "Day Of Remembrance."
- "The Place We Don't Name."
- "Protection." Homewrecker. New York: Soft Skull Press, 2005, ISBN 1-932360-93-X
- "Broken Open." Lodestar Quarterly, 2005
- "Skin." Gay and Lesbian Review. Jan/Feb 2006
- "Shameless" and "In My Mouth." Pinned Down By Pronouns. Boston: Conviction Books, 2004, ISBN 0-9727027-1-7
- "Dragon" and "Liar's Dice." The Second Coming. Boston: Alyson Publications, 1998, ISBN 1-55583-281-4 (writing as Bear).
- "The Nearest Exit May Be Behind You." From Discord to Discourse: A Collection of Contemporary Canadian Essays. Whitby, ON: McGraw-Hill Ryerson, 2011
- “Brother Dog” Persistence: Still Butch and Femme. Vancouver, BC: Arsenal Pulp 2011
- “Sex, Lies, and Communication” Jewish Voice, Jewish Choices: Sex and Ethics. Philadelphia: Jewish Publication Society, 2010
- “Part Time Fatso.” The Fat Studies Reader. New York: NYU Press 2009
- “Just A Phase.” I Like It Like That. Vancouver, BC: Arsenal Pulp, 2009
- “(Open) Log.” XYZ Journal Of Urban Space. Spring, 2009
- "A Letter To My Mother." Second Person Queer. Vancouver, BC: Arsenal Pulp Press, 2009
- "Open Log." with j wallace Women & Environments. Vol 78/79, Fall/Winter 2009.
- "Part Time Fatso." Fat Studies Reader. New York: NYU Press, 2009
- “Transgender Health Issues.” LGBTQ America Today. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 2008
- "O Unwelcome Herald." Breakthrough Bleeding. San Francisco: She Devil Press, 2008 (forthcoming)
- "Gay Men, Queer Men, and Me" Invert(e). San Francisco: Suspect Thoughts, 2007, ISBN 0-9789023-3-5
- "On Politeness." First Person Queer. Vancouver, BC: Arsenal Pulp Press, 2007 ISBN 1-55152-227-6
- "The Sadder But Wiser Bear." Sodom and Me. San Francisco: Suspect Thoughts, 2007 ISBN 0-9763411-7-4
- "Breasts" and "Fire The Copyeditor." Transgender Tapestry, Winter 2007
- "Pardon Me, Have You Seen My Sexual Orientation?" Labris: 2005 (Serbian translation. “Izvinite, da li ste videle/i moju seksualnu orijentaciju?”)
- "Forget Marriage, Have a Wedding." I Do/I Don't:Queers On Marriage. San Francisco: Suspect Thoughts, 2004, ISBN 0-9746388-7-0
- "Lifeguard." Pinned Down By Pronouns. Boston: Conviction Books, 2004, ISBN 0-9727027-1-7
- "Lesbears & Transbears." Bears On Bears. San Francisco: Alyson Publications, 2002, ISBN 1-55583-578-3
- Foreword. National Transgender Theater Festival Reader. New York: Renegade, 2005.
Solo theater performances
- The Virginity Lost & Found
- Monday Night in Westerbork
- Clearly Marked
- You'll Never Piss In This Town Again
- Ex Post Papa
- "My Conversation With Customs/Immigration Upon Returning To Canada Today (Unedited)". S Bear Bergman's blog. Retrieved September 25, 2011.
- Standing Out, Standing Together: The Social and Political Impact of Gay-Straight Alliances. Miceli, Melinda. NYC, 2005. Routlege
- Making Schools Safe for Gay and Lesbian Youth: Breaking the Silence in Schools and in Families: Education Report The Governor's Commission on Gay and Lesbian Youth, February 25, 1993
- Graduates of Hampshire College/Alumni of Hampshire College; Graduates of Note (48 Items). Ranker.com (June 15, 2012).
- "22nd Annual Lambda Literary Awards". Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- "23rd Annual Lambda Literary Awards". Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- "Publishing Triangle 2011 Awards".
- "25th Annual Lambda Literary Award Winners Announced!". Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- Award Winners Of The 2004 Festival. Columbustheatrefestival.com.
- Writers. Millay Colony.
- "100 Amazing Trans Americans You Should Know".
- "Small Person Acquisition Project". CBC News.
- S. Bear Bergman's Author page at Arsenal Pulp Press
- Butch Is A Noun ISBN 978-1-55152-369-9
- The Nearest Exit May Be Behind You ISBN 978-1-55152-264-7