S. L. Puram Sadanandan
S. L. Puram Sadanandan (1928–2005) was a famous playwright and film scriptwriter of Kerala, India. He was a trailblazer of the theatre movement in Kerala. He was born on April 15, 1928, in S.L.Puram in Alappuzha district to P.Narayanan and Karthyayani. He started writing plays while studying in school and associated himself with the trade union activities in his village. He became a strong sympathizer of the Indian Communist Party witnessing the hardships of the poor workers around him and had close contacts with Communist leaders like R.Sugathan. He took part in the Punnapra-Vayalar uprising and was arrested and imprisoned and could not pursue his formal studies further . However he withdrew himself from active politics following the split in the Communist party. He was founder of Kalpana Theatres and Suryasoma Theatres at S.L. Puram. He has written more than 60 plays .His first drama, Kudiyirakku, was staged when he was only 16 years old.He entered the filmworld by writing the dialogues for the film Sreekovil in 1962. He had written script for famous Malayalam film of '60s, Chemmeen.He wrote scripts for more than 150 films and many of them won state and national awards. In 1965 he got the national award for the best screen play for the film 'Agniputhri'.
- Kerala Sahithya Akademi award for the drama Kakkapponnu
- Silver medal of the Indian Government for the script of the cinema Kavyamela
- National Film Award for the script of the film Agni Puthri
- State award for the script of the cinema Oru Penninte Katha
- State award for the script of the film Yavanika
As the owner of the Sooryasoma drama troupe he was a tough taskmaster, says V. Mohanan, secretary of the troupe. He was particular that the actors should act as per his ideas but in his personal relations with them he was humane and always ensured that they were promptly paid. He died on September 16, 2005.
Oral koodi Kallanayi
Vila kuranja Manushyar
Kallu kondoru Pennu
- Akhilavijnanakosam; D.C.Books; Kottayam
- Sahithyakara Directory ; Kerala Sahithya Academy,Thrissur
- S. L. Puram Sadanandan at the Internet Movie Database
- S.L. Puram Sadanandan cremated
- A communist who became doyen of theatre