S. P. Jain Institute of Management and Research
|S. P. Jain Institute of Management and Research|
|Motto||अमृतं तु विद्या|
Motto in English
|Knowledge is Nectar|
|Type||Private business school|
|Dean||Dr. Manesh L. Shrikant|
|Director||Dr. Sesha Iyer|
|Approximately 40 core and 70 visiting|
|Students||240 (2-year PGDM program) 120(1-year PGPM program)|
|Location||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
|Campus||Andheri (Urban area)|
|Nickname||SP Jain, SPJIMR|
|Affiliations||Association of Indian Universities, Association of MBAs|
S.P. Jain Institute of Management and Research (SPJIMR) is a constituent of the Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan and is recognised as one of the premier business schools of India. The Institute grew rapidly in eminence from one of the three B-schools in Mumbai in 1981 to one of the top ten B-schools in the country by 1994-1995. The Philosophical pillars upon which rests the edifice of SPJIMR’s educational pedagogy and development are Influencing Practice and Promoting value-based growth
SPJIMR sits on a sprawling 45 acre campus in the western suburbs of Andheri in Mumbai. The Institute has an annual intake of some 700 students under various programmes. Its oldest programme is the two year Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM), which attracts some 70 applications for every seat. SPJIMR runs a Post Graduate Family Managed Business (PGFMB) programme, the 15 month Post Graduate Programme in Management (PGPM), the Post Graduate Executive Management Programme (PGEMP), the Post Graduate Certificate in International Management (PGCIM) programme, the Post Graduate Certificate in Development Management (PGCDM) programme. The Institute runs several shorter term programmes like the PMP Preparatory Programme, the Post Graduate Certificate in Advanced Project Management, Doing Business in India (DBI), Start Your Business (SYB) and Grow Your Business (GYB).
- 1 History
- 2 Programmes
- 3 Rankings
- 4 Research Centers
- 5 Events
- 6 Accreditation
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Inaugurated in 1981 by the then British Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher, SPJIMR had modest beginnings as a small extension of the campus of Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan. The institute was named after Sahu Shreyans Prasad Jain of the Sahu Jain family, who financed the institution in its early years. At the time of its establishment, SPJIMR was among the three business schools in Mumbai. After the financing from the Sahu Jain family stopped, the dean Manesh Shrikant decided to make the institute self-sufficient by offering better courses which the management education aspirants would find more attractive. The institute disaffiliated itself from Bombay University to provide itself with more freedom in curriculum decision-making and pedagogy design.
Post Graduate Diploma in Management
SPJIMR’s Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM) is a two year full-time residential programme equivalent to an MBA. The programme offers specialisations in Finance, Operations, Marketing and Information Management.The programme has consistently been ranked among the top 10 in the country.It is accredited by AICTE. Also Our other global linkages support an overall learning environment that builds among participants a global outlook. It prepares them to face challenges and exploit opportunities in a globalised economy that is marked by volatility, uncertainty, complexity and ambiguity – the so-called VUCA world. SPJIMR has introduced an international immersion programme called the ‘Global Fast Track’ (GFT) where participants will travel to a globally top-ranked B-School, in order to gain cutting-edge inputs in their area of specialisation. The programme considers CAT, XAT and GMAT scores for admission but places more emphasis on academic performance, versatility in extracurricular activities and relevant work experience.
The programme has seen much pedagogical experimentation over the years, including social projects and business plans, use of theatre to learn management, Assessment and Development of Managerial Potential (ADMAP, a programme where students participate in the administration of the college) and India-specific cases. SPJIMR does not have a traditional summer internship projects like most other Indian B-schools. Instead, the students are required to work with NGOs in the rural areas during the summer as part of their Development of Corporate Citizenship (DOCC) projects. Corporate internships happen during autumn instead.
Post Graduate Programme in Management
The Post Graduate Programme in Management (PGPM), formerly known as Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM), is a 15 months (3 months of foundation coureses through web learning), full-time residential programme accredited by the Association of MBAs. It offers specialisations in Marketing, Finance, Operations, and Information Management. The specialisations are chosen at the time of admission. The programme admits working professionals from domains and leading industries to enable knowledge sharing and peer learning. The unique aspect of the programme is its focus on the specific role and domain of interest to the participant. The programme considers CAT, XAT and GMAT scores but places more emphasis on academic performance, versatility in extracurricular activities and a minimum work experience of five years. The course starts in January and ends in December. Admission process typically starts in June with interviews scheduled through August.
Executive Management Programme
The Executive Management Programme (EMP) is a non-residential programme, for working professionals, similar to an EMBA, with 60 full-day classes on campus, spread over 21 months and contact sessions. The programme considers graduates with minimum five years of experience along with a good track record. The programme mandates the support of the candidate's company.
Family Managed Business programme
The Family Managed Business (FMB) programme is designed for candidates to lead their family businesses. The duration of the program is two years and includes a foreign visit. The participants spent a week at the institute to learn and the remaining three weeks of the month at their workplace, to apply the learning. The duration of the Owner Manager Programme is only twelve months. The programme considers graduate candidates with a significant stake in a family business. Selection requires sponsorship from the business, a test and a personal interview. The degree awarded is a Post Graduate Programme in Management.
Other short-term programmes
SPJIMR offers (or has offered in the past) other short term programmes such as:
- Start Your Business (SYB)
- Grow Your Business (GYB)
- Advanced Program in Project Management (APPM)
- Certificate Programme in Resource Mobilization & Management (CPRMM)
- Program in Political Governance for Women (PPGW)
- Management Development Programmes (MDPs) for specific sectors (such as the NGOs)
Over the years, SPJIMR has entered into collaboration with many corporate entities, academic organisations and non-profits to offer specialised programmes, seminars, workshops and symposiums. The process of course design and deployment is done in collaboration with the industry. For example, in 2003, it rolled out a course on service management by incorporating feedback and guest faculty support from GE, while in 2007, it partnered with Patni Computer Systems to create specialised courses in the area of Supply Chain Management.
In 2004, SPJIMR partnered with Virginia Tech to offer a two-year programme titled PGDSM- MIT, which led to a Master's Degree in Information Technology from Virginia Tech and Post Graduate Diploma in Systems Management from SPJIMR. The course had to be later discontinued, since AICTE did not approve this campus-sharing model between Virginia Tech and SPJIMR. The same year, it partnered with Motilal Oswal Securities to conduct a course on equity research. Also in 2004, the institute launched a six-month diploma programme, Women and Political Governance, aimed at educating women who plan to join politics. The course was jointly created by the Times Foundation, Women's Movement for Peace and Prosperity (WMPP) and SPJIMR.
In 2007, SPJIMR signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Standard Chartered bank to introduce a special training programme on corporate banking for graduates through Bhavan's Centre for Inter Disciplinary Studies (BCIDS).
|Business – International|
|Business – India|
SPJIMR was ranked No. 16 by the QS Global 200 Business Schools Report in the Asia-Pacific region for 2012. In India, it was ranked No. 10 by the Business Today 50 best business schools of 2011 and No. 9 by the Hindustan Times' India's top 50 business schools of 2011 and the 2012 edition of CNBC-TV18's Top B-Schools in India.
- Centre for European Business Studies
- The Centre for European Business Studies, funded by the European Union was launched in 2009, in collaboration with ESB Reutlingen of Germany.
- Center for DOCC
- The Centre for Development of Corporate Citizenship (DOCC) was established in the year to hone management skills of future managers in social sectors and to create awareness about the need to contribute to the society. DOCC works closely with NGOs and corporates by undertaking various consultancy and research assignments. The Centre for DOCC has its origins in SPJIMR's research project for ASSOCHAM, which addressed the issue of socio-economic development of rural India.
- Center for FMB
- The Centre for Family Managed Business (FMB) offers the Family Managed Business Programme for young family business managers.
- Center for Entrepreneurship
- SPJIMR has set up a Centre for Entrepreneurship Development, and has partnered with the Wadhwani Foundation to launch the National Entrepreneurship Network (NEN).
- Center for Executive Education
- The Centre for Executive Education offers the Executive Management Programme (EMP), and Management Development Programs (MDPs) for practising Executives.
- Center for Project Management
- Established in 2000, the Project Management (PM) Cell focuses on institutionalising PM in the corporate community, through research, assessments, training, engagements and benchmarking.
- Center for IT
- The Centre for IT (CIT) at SPJIMR was instituted in 1999. CIT engages in creation and delivery of knowledge pertaining to the use of IT in providing competitive edge to business by appropriate deployment of technology and best of clan practice in the field.
- SPJIMR Business-Academia Conclave (formerly known as SPJIMR Academic Conclave)
- SPJIMR Business-Academia Conclave (SBAC) is a platform for fostering business-academia integration targeted exclusively at the corporate participants. Initiated in 2010, SBAC has been witnessing increasing participation from the industry in all the six conclaves – Finance, Marketing, Operations, Information Management, Consulting and HR conclave. Primarily featured through keynote addresses, panel discussions, seminars, symposia, case-study presentations by the corporate participants, etc., SBAC 2015 promises to deliver a unique and enriching experience over four packed days— 9–10 January 2015 and 16–17 January 2015 at the SPJIMR Mumbai campus. Six of the most prominent, contemporary and relevant industry issues across different domains would be presented as themes in SBAC 2015.
- Ojas, the business festival of SPJIMR, was launched in 2009 and replaced the earlier disparate specialisation-specific festivals. It emerged as an umbrella event to cover student contests, and the four corporate events that were earlier held separately: Khoj (finance), Shrinkhala (operations), BhavITva (IT) and BuZZ-aaR (marketing). In 2009, it included a variety of business and cultural contests for students under the name Mélange.
- Sprint is SPJIMR's annual sports meet. Launched in 2008, it aims to provide a platform for fostering competitive spirit, group dynamics and ability to deliver under pressure by pitching together the best sports talent from the top Indian B-schools. The Sprint events include athletics (12 categories), cricket, football, swimming, chess, carom, basketball, badminton, volleyball and throwball.
- Lock, Stock & Trade (LST)
- Lock, Stock & Trade is an annual national-level entrepreneurship event organised by SPJIMR in association with the National Entrepreneurship Network (NEN). LST is a mock investment game in which the student teams participate as entrepreneurs (who establish public companies) and the investors (who buy the company shares). Two student teams win the game: the "investors" with the highest-value portfolio and the "entrepreneurs" with the company having maximum oversubscription. The keynote speakers for LST have included Kiran Mazumdar (2004), Subroto Bagchi (2005), Chetan Maini (2006) — the founder of the REVA Electric Car Company, Capt. Gopinath (2007 edition, held in January 2008) and Sharath Babu, CEO Foodking (2011).
- GASP (Guild of Actors @ SP) organises a play every year, after months of preparation. The participants put to use the management and administrative principles they learn during the course in organising this play.
- Spandan is the annual alumni reunion event organised by the Alumni Committee of SPJIMR. It is held at the Mumbai campus in December. Lots of notable alumni turn up for the event and interact with students and faculty.
- SPeak is the Public Speaking Club of SPJIMR. It aims to provide the students an encouraging platform to practice and improve their spoken communication skills. They have weekly meetings and invite speakers of all skill levels.
The Association of MBAs (AMBA) has accorded accreditation to SPJIMR's two-year PGDM, one-year PGPM and the Executive Management Programme (EMP). The PGDM programme is approved by AICTE and received "A" grade accreditation from the National Board of Accreditation (NBA) of India in 2003. The Association of Indian Universities (AIU) recognises the two-year PGDM course as equivalent to an MBA degree of an Indian university.
- "Fortune 500 co to support Mumbai slum". Rediff.com. 28 June 2006. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- "Social Projects: SPJIMR Alumni". The Financial Express. 23 December 2003. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- "All the B-world's a stage". Calcutta: The Telegraph. 23 December 2007. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- "Self-Reliance – SPJIMR Saga: S.P. Jain Institute of Management combines management studies with social responsibilities". India Business Insight. 8 June 2003. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- Kalpana Pathak (6 April 2006). "Studying Sonia". Business Standard. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- Nivedita Mookerji (11 April 1999). "Self-study at SPJIMR this season". The Indian Express. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- "Mumbai-based B-schools Go Beyond Summer Projects". The Financial Express. 1 April 2003. Retrieved 4 January 2004.
- "Short haul MBA". Calcutta: The Telegraph. 28 September 2006. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- EMBA Home[dead link]
- "SPJIMR in Course Alliance With GE". The Financial Express. 16 July 2003. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- "B-schools Stress on Feedback of Course Relevance". The Financial Express. 24 May 2003. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- "SPJIMR Partners with Patni for Courses in Supply Chain Management". IT News Online. 19 January 2007. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- "SPJIMR ties up with Virginia Tech to offer IT Master's degree in Mumbai". The Hindu Business Line. 16 October 2004. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- "B-schools Rope in Corporates To Deploy Courses". The Financial Express. 6 January 2004. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- "Women bring in value-based politics: Gujrathi". The Times of India. 9 March 2004. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- "Stanchart to train grads in corporate banking". Business Standard. 19 December 2007. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- Della Bradshaw (9 November 2009). "Schulich launches MBA in India". Financial Times. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- Eric Emin Wood (7 December 2009). "York opens MBA school in Mumbai". metronews.ca. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- "QS World University Rankings". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2011. Retrieved February 12, 2012.
- "The 50 best business schools". Business Today. 28 October 2012. Retrieved 28 October 2012.
- "India's top 50 business schools" (jpg). Hindustan Times. 30 August 2011. Retrieved 26 December 2011.
- "Top B-Schools in India". CNBC-TV18. 12 January 2012. Retrieved 13 February 2012.
- "EU Centre for European Business Studies at SPJIMR". Education Times (The Times of India). 20 November 2009. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- Center for DOCC[dead link]
- Center for FMB[dead link]
- Center for Entrepreneurship[dead link]
- Center for Executive Education[dead link]
- Center for Project Management[dead link]
- Center of IT[dead link]
- S.P. Jain's new programme to groom students. The Hindu. 25 September 2008.
- "Accredited MBA Programmes". AMBA. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- "Name of the Institutions whose Postgraduate Diploma in Management has been equated with MBA Degree". Association of Indian Universities (AIU). Retrieved 4 January 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to S. P. Jain Institute of Management and Research (SPJIMR).|