S. S. Rajamouli
|S. S. Rajamouli|
S. S. Rajamouli in 2012
|Born||1973 (age 41–42)
Bhimavaram, Andhra Pradesh, India
|Residence||Hyderabad, Telangana, India|
S. S. Rajamouli (born Koduri Srisaila Sri Rajamouli) is an Indian film director, screenwriter, and action choreographer who works primarily in the Telugu cinema. He is known for directing blockbuster films like Magadheera and Eega both of which won the National Film Award for Best Special Effects.
He has directed super hits like the sports drama film Sye, and the social problem film Vikramarkudu, which was premiered at the International Film Festival of India in the mainstream section. The melodrama's Maryada Ramanna, and Chatrapathi were remade in various Indian languages, with successful reviews.
In 2012, he directed Eega, which has garnered awards for the Most Original Film, and Best Film to watch with a crowd, in the 8th Annual Edition Toronto After Dark Film Festival. The film was also screened in the Panorama section of the 16th Shanghai International Film Festival, and Puchon International Fantastic Film Festival. The film was screened in the Marché du Film section of the 66th Cannes Film Festival on 20 May 2013, 
He has also garnered the Star World India, "Entertainer of The Year 2012" for Makkhi.He is referred to as Indian James Cameron for the engaging screenplay and commercial success his movie offer. He is currently directing Baahubali, touted to be the most expensive Indian film. The film was featured in BBC's documentary on 100 Years of Indian cinema directed by Sanjeev Bhaskar. The film was shot using Arri Alexa XT camera marking Rajamouli's first film using digital camera.
Rajamouli was born to Screen writer and director, K. V. Vijayendra Prasad. He lives in Hyderabad in close association with cousins M. M. Keeravani, Kalyani Malik, S. S. Naaga, and S. S. Kanchi. He is married to Rama Rajamouli.
Early career and television
Rajamouli started directing Telugu soap operas on Eenadu Television, under the guidance of K. Raghavendra Rao. His first shot at Telugu films was Student No.1 with Jr. NTR which was a big hit in 2001. It took two long years for Rajamouli to come up with his second blockbuster, Simhadri.
His next movie was Sye. It was a first-of-its-kind movie in Tollywood, in that it was based on a rugby game. This movie was also the first instance where Rajamouli collaborated with K. K. Senthil Kumar.
With his next flick Chatrapathi, Rajamouli again evoked emotions with the audience. The music of M. M. Keeravani and cinematography by Senthil Kumar added to the film's success. In his next stint Vikramarkudu, Rajamouli worked with Raviteja. The movie was a big success and was remade into Hindi as Rowdy Rathore by Prabhu Deva with Akshay kumar in the lead, into Tamil as Siruthai, and in Kannada as Veera Madakari.
He then directed Yamadonga, a socio-fantasy film praised by critics. Next was the biggest film in Telugu Cinema at the time, Magadheera starring Ram charan Teja, Magadheera became one of the biggest commercial successes in Telugu Cinema. He won the Nandi Award for Best Director and Filmfare Award for Best Director – Telugu for the film. This film also won the National Film Award for Best Choreography.
His comedy thriller film Maryada Ramanna (2010) had actor Sunil as the male lead. This was the biggest hit of that year. It was remade in Hindi as "Son of Sardar". In one of the popular MAA TV shows, Mee Star, Rajamouli said Maryada Ramanna is his personal favorite movie among all the movies he has directed.
His next film Eega was released in Telugu and Tamil (Naan Ee) on 6 July 2012. It is a fictional film, with major part for Visual effects (VFX), received positive reviews from audience and critics as well.
- National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Telugu (director) – Eega (2012)
- Filmfare Award for Best Director – Telugu – Magadheera (2009)
- Filmfare Award for Best Director – Telugu – Eega (2012)
- CineMAA Award for Best Director – Magadheera (2009)
- Other Honours
- Star World India – The Front Row With Anupama Chopra – "Entertainer of The Year 2012" for Makkhi
|2001||Student No.1||Telugu||Dubbed into Hindi as Aaj Ka Mujrim
Remade into Tamil as Student Number 1
|2003||Simhadri||Telugu||Remade into Tamil as Gajendra
Dubbed into Hindi as Yamraaj Ek Faulaad
|2004||Sye||Telugu||Dubbed into Hindi as Aar Paar-The Judgement Day
Dubbed into Malayalam as Challenge
|2005||Chatrapathi||Telugu||Dubbed into Malayalam as Chatrapathi
Dubbed into Hindi as Hukumat Ki Jung
Dubbed into Tamil as Chandramouli
Remade in Kannada as Chatrapathi
Remade in Bengali as Refugee
|2006||Vikramarkudu||Telugu||Remade into Kannada as Veera Madakari
Remade into Tamil as Siruthai
Remade into Hindi as Rowdy Rathore
Remade into Bengali as Bikram Singha
Remade into Bangladesh Bengali as Ulta Palta 69
Dubbed into Hindi as Pratighat
Dubbed into Malayalam as Vikramathithya
Dubbed into Bhojpuri as Vikram Singh Rathod IPS
|2007||Yamadonga||Telugu||Dubbed into Hindi as Lok Parlok
Dubbed into Oriya as Yamraja
|2009||Magadheera||Telugu||Nandi Award for Best Director
Filmfare Award for Best Director – Telugu
Dubbed into Tamil as Maaveeran
Dubbed into Hindi as Magadheera
Dubbed into Malayalam as Dheera – The Warrior
Remade into Bengali as Yoddha – The Warrior
|2010||Maryada Ramanna||Telugu||Remade into Hindi as Son of Sardaar
Remade into Tamil as Vallavanukku Pullum Aayudham
Being remade in Malayalam as Ivan Maryadaraman
Remade into Bengali as Faande Poriya Boga Kaande Re
|2011||Rajanna||Telugu||Directed action sequences only|
|2012||Eega||Telugu||Dubbed into Malayalam as Eecha
Dubbed into Hindi as Makkhi
National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Telugu
|Naan Ee||Tamil||Simultaneously shot with the Telugu version Eega|
Simultaneously shot with the Telugu version Baahubali
- K. V. VijayPrasad
- M. M. Keeravani
- K. K. Senthil Kumar
- Kotagiri Venkateswara Rao
- Kalyani Malik
- Anuj Gurwara
- wife name
- "SS Rajamouli voted Best Telugu Director of 2012". oneindia.in. Retrieved 19 January 2013.
- Kumar, Anuj (18 October 2012). "Flight of imagination". The Hindu (Chennai, India).
- "60th National Film Awards Announced" (PDF) (Press release). Press Information Bureau (PIB), India. Retrieved 18 March 2013.
- South director SS Rajamouli wants to direct Aamir Khan – Express India
- "'SOS' director wants SS Rajamouli to see his film – The Times of India". The Times of India.
- "Rajamouli's Eega continues to win awards". The Times of India. 3 November 2013. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- IANS (15 May 2013). "SS Rajamouli's Eega to be screened at Cannes, Shanghai film festivals". bollywoodlife.com. Retrieved 15 May 2013.
- "'Makkhi' Review: Revenge comes in all sizes!". Zeenews.india.com. Retrieved 13 October 2012.
- "Eega to be screened at Cannes!". 123telugu.com. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- In conversation with S.S.Rajamouli on The Front Row. – YouTube
- "Hindustan Times".
- "Times of India".
- "Rajamouli-Prabhas new movie budget". The Times of India. 14 October 2012. Retrieved 23 February 2013.
- "Baahubali's team gets a rare honour". The Times of India. 21 May 2014. Retrieved 19 July 2014.
- "Rajamouli's Bahubali finds place in BBC's documentary". The Hans India. 22 May 2014. Retrieved 19 July 2014.
- "Rajamouli goes digital for Bahubali". The Times of India. 26 June 2014. Retrieved 19 July 2014.
- "'Baahubali' movie release date". IndiaGlitz. 17 June 2014. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- Son Of Sardar Review
- South director SS Rajamouli wants to direct Aamir Khan – Express India
- Magadheera (2009) – IMDb
- "Microsoft Word - 57th_NFA_Press_Release.doc" (PDF). Retrieved 28 April 2012.
- "SS Rajamouli about Maryada Ramanna interview – Telugu Cinema interview – Telugu film director". Idlebrain.com. Retrieved 28 April 2012.
- Singh song | Rajeev Masand – movies that matter
- Shekhar (7 July 2012). "Eega – Movie Review: A graphical wonder | – Oneindia Entertainment". Entertainment.oneindia.in. Retrieved 19 September 2012.
- Nandi Awards 2009 Winners List – Telugu Movie News
- "Filmfare Awards winners". The Times of India. 9 August 2010.
- Filmfare Awards (South): The complete list of Winners
- In conversation with S.S.Rajamouli on The Front Row – YouTube