S. Ward Casscells (1952 – 2012) was a cardiologist who served with the Army in Iraq and later was Assistant Secretary of Defense for Health Affairs. Among other honors, he was the recipient of the Distinguished Public Service Medal, the Army's Order of Military Medical Merit, and the General Maxwell Thurman Award.
- ^ Ronald C. Merrell and Charles R. Doarn. "In Memoriam" Telemedicine and e-Health. December 2012, 18(10): 722-723. doi:10.1089/tmj.2012.9984.
- "S. Ward Casscells III dies at 60; cardiologist and Army reservist served in Iraq and Pentagon" by Emily Langer, Washington Post Oct 16, 2012.
- "Casting the 'Net for a Replacement", by Bob Brewin, NextGov. February 19, 2009.
- “Soft Power with Guns”, by Peter Buxbaum, International Relations and Security Network- Security Watch. January 16, 2009.
- “Culture War”, by Bob Brewin. Government Executive Magazine. January 12, 2009.
- "Health Chief Discusses AHLTA, Other Issues", by Jerry Harben - Mercury News. January 2009.
- "Health Care Champion: An Interview with S. Ward Casscells, M.D. Assistant Secretary of Defense for Health Affairs", by Chaz Vossburg - Military Medical Technology. December 2008.
- “Healing Environments for America’s Heroes”, by Michelle Ossmann, Clay Boenecke, Barbara Dellinger. Healthcare Design Magazine. November 2008.
- “Walking the Deck”, by Bob Brewin. Government Executive Magazine. September 2008.
- “Engine of Innovation: US Healthcare from Military to Private Sector", by Divya Sood. Future Healthcare Magazine. 3Q 2008.
- “Agencies Dispatch Health Care Workers; Mission Responds To PTSD” Audrey Hudson. The Washington Times. June 5, 2008.
- "A Lion in Autumn: How a middle-aged doctor wound up on the battlefield in Iraq", by Evan Thomas. Newsweek. November 19, 2007.
- "Try Advil instead - Department of Defense bans aspirin" by Leo Shane, Stripes Central April 29, 2009.
- “Delaware Native Comes To Military Career Late But Ascends To Top”, By Nicole Gaudiano. Gannett News Service. March 28, 2007.
- “Swiftly Confirm: Wartime Pentagon Needs A Top Health Official, and Houston's Ward Casscells Is Right Man for the Job” (Editorial). Houston Chronicle. March 27, 2007.
- “Delaware Native On Call For Veterans Health Crisis” By Nicole Gaudiano. Gannett News Service
- “Departments Of Defense And Veterans Affairs Working Together” The Montgomery Advertiser. December 27, 2007.
- “Pentagon Official Praises Staff For Hospital's Recovery” Wire Reports. Fort Worth Star-Telegram