S. Y. Quraishi
|Shahabuddin Yaqoob Quraishi|
|Chief Election Commissioner of India|
30 July 2010 – 10 June 2012
|Preceded by||Navin Chawla|
|Succeeded by||V. S. Sampath|
11 June 1947 |
Shahabuddin Yaqoob Quraishi (born 11 June 1947) is a former Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) of India. He was appointed as the CEC as the successor to Navin Chawla on 30 July 2010. He has also served as a Secretary in the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.
While responding to Karan Thapar on the Devil's Advocate programme on the television channel CNN-IBN, he opposed the ideas of Right to Recall and Right to Reject advocated by Anna Hazare as not possible in India. However after some time in a TV interview he said that Right to Reject can be considered. 
- Balaji, J. (28 July 2010). "Quraishi new Chief Election Commissioner". The Hindu. Retrieved 10 June 2013.
- Government of India appointed Youth Affairs and Sports Secretary S Y Quraishi as Election Commissioner for a five-year term from IndiaDaily.Com
- S.Y. Quraishi appointed as election commissioner of India from YaHind.Com
- "V S Sampath is new Chief Election Commissioner". 6 June 2012.
- "CIC gets a galaxy of honorary professors that include famous scientists, academicians, bureaucrats".
- "CEC not for Right to Reject, Recall, suspects will destabilise country". Indiavision news. Retrieved 2011-10-16.