S12 and S11 (ZVV)
|S12 and S11 (ZVV)|
An S12 train arrives at Brugg, 2006.
|Termini||Seuzach / Winterthur Seen
|Operator(s)||Zürcher Verkehrsverbund (ZVV)|
|Rolling stock||RABe 511|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in)|
The S12 and S11 are regional railway lines of the S-Bahn Zürich on the Zürcher Verkehrsverbund (ZVV), Zürich transportation network. The S12 is one of the network's lines connecting the cantons of Zürich and Aargau, whilst the S11 is a short-working of the S12.
- Brugg – Zürich HB – Winterthur HB – Seuzach/Seen
Operates non stop between Stettbach and Winterthur.
- Zürich Hardbrücke – Zürich HB – Winterthur HB
Supplementary express trains.
Line S12 commences at Brugg station, in the canton of Aargau, and follows the Olten to Zürich line as far as Zürich Hardbrücke station and the approaches to Zürich Hauptbahnhof station. Passing through the lower level platforms at this station, the line then passes through the Hirschengraben and Zürichberg tunnels, and Stettbach station, before joining the Zürich to Winterthur line.
The S12 follows this line as far as Winterthur Hauptbahnhof station, running non-stop between Stettbach and Winterthur. At Winterthur, alternate trains take different routes, running either over the Tösstalbahn as far as Winterthur Seen station, or over the Winterthur to Etzwilen line as far as Seuzach station.
Trains on the S12 usually run every 30 minutes, with a journey time of around 70 to 75 minutes. The alternation of trains to Seuzach and Winterthur Seen provides an hourly service to each terminus. Trains on the S11 provide an additional half-hourly service during peak-periods only, with trains running from Winterthur in the morning peak, and to Winterthur in the evening peak.
Stations served by all S12 trains
- Zürich Altstetten
Stations served by all S12 and S11 trains
Stations served by trains on the S12 Seuzach branch
Stations served by trains on the S12 Winterthur Seen branch
Until February 2012 all services were operated by Re 450 class locomotives pushing or pulling double-deck passenger carriages. In February 2012 6 car RABe 511 units were introduced. These units are run in single formation (6 car) at off-peak periods and in double (12 car) formation during the peak.
- "S-Bahn trains, buses and boats" (PDF). ZVV. Retrieved 2015-04-15.
- Eisenbahnatlas Schweiz. Verlag Schweers + Wall GmbH. 2012. pp. 12–13. ISBN 978-3-89494-130-7.
- Eisenbahnatlas Schweiz. Verlag Schweers + Wall GmbH. 2012. pp. 64–65. ISBN 978-3-89494-130-7.
- "S-Bahn Zürich: Brugg AG–Zürich HB–Stadelhofen–Winterthur–Seuzach/Seen" (PDF). Bundesamt für Verkehr. 2015. Retrieved 2015-04-16.
- "Zürich–Winterthur" (PDF). Bundesamt für Verkehr. 2015. Retrieved 2015-04-16.
Media related to S-Bahn Zürich at Wikimedia Commons