|Founder||Sara Miller McCune and George D. McCune|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Headquarters location||Thousand Oaks, California|
|Key people||Blaise R. Simqu, Mike Soules, Sara Miller McCune|
|Publication types||Academic books, journals, and reference products|
|Nonfiction topics||Social science, Science, Medicine, Humanities, Technology|
|Imprints||Corwin, CQ Press, Pine Forge Press, Learning Matters|
Sage Publications is an independent publishing company founded in 1965 in New York by Sara Miller McCune. Sage has more than 1,500 employees globally from principal offices in Los Angeles, London, New Delhi, Singapore, and Washington DC. Sage’s publishing program includes more than 700 journals and over 800 books, reference works and electronic products covering business, humanities, social sciences, science, technology and medicine.
In 2012 Sage was named the Independent Publishers Guild Academic and Professional Publisher of the Year.
Sara Miller McCune is executive chairman of Sage Publications, which she founded in 1965 in New York City. The company moved to Southern California in 1966. McCune remained president for 18 years and became chairman in 1984, developing the company with her husband George D. McCune.
Sage Publications was a founding member of the Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association when it was established in 2008. In November 2013 Sage's membership was placed under review for six months after a Sage journal, the Journal of International Medical Research, published a false and intentionally flawed paper created and submitted by a reporter for Science as part of a "sting" to test the effectiveness of the peer-review processes of open access journals (see Who's Afraid of Peer Review?). Sage's membership was reinstated at the end of the review period following changes to the journal's editorial processes.
- Journals published by Sage
- Cambridge University Press v. Patton, a copyright infringement case in which Sage Publications is a plaintiff
- "Sage Publications". Sage at a glance. Sage Publications. Retrieved 13 April 2012.
- "Sage Imprints". Sage Imprints Page. Sage Publications. Retrieved 1 May 2012.
- "Sage Publications USA acquires CQ Press from Times Publishing Co — May 30, 2008 - M&A Deal Snapshot". AlacraStore.com. Retrieved 2010-08-08.
- "Sage acquires Learning Matters". The Bookseller. Retrieved 13 April 2012.
- Verma, Henrietta (October 11, 2012). "SAGE Acquires Adam Matthew". Reviews. Library Journal.
- Shine, Bridget (March 2012). "The IPG Independent Publishing Awards 2012". Independent Publishers Guild. Archived from the original on 14 April 2012. Retrieved 25 September 2013.
IPG Academic & Professional Publisher of the Year - SAGE
- Brynko, Barbara (June 2011). "Simqu: Leading the Change at SAGE Publications". Information Today. Retrieved 23 April 2014.
- Malakoff, David (11 November 2013). "Open-Access Group Sanctions Three Publishers After Science 'Sting'". Science Insider. Retrieved 23 April 2014.
- Shaffi, Sarah (29 April 2014). "OASPA reinstates Sage membership". The Bookseller. Retrieved 29 April 2014.
- "About this space," Methodspace.com, (accessed 24 March 2013)