|Stable release||1.0 SPS8 / May 31, 2014|
|Written in||C, C++|
|Website||SAP Community Network|
SAP HANA, short for "High-Performance Analytic Appliance" is an in-memory, column-oriented, relational database management system developed and marketed by SAP AG. It runs massively parallel, thus exploiting the maximum out of multicore processors and subsequently enabling very fast query execution.
SAP HANA originates from developed or acquired technologies, including TREX search engine, an in-memory column-oriented search engine, P*TIME, an in-memory OLTP database acquired by SAP in 2005, and MaxDB with its in-memory liveCache engine. In 2008, teams from SAP AG working with Hasso Plattner Institute and Stanford University demonstrated an application architecture for real-time analytics and aggregation, mentioned as "Hasso's New Architecture" in SAP executive Vishal Sikka's blog. Before the name HANA settled in, people referred to this product as New Database.
The product was officially announced in May 2010. In November 2010, SAP AG announced the release of SAP HANA 1.0, an in-memory appliance for business applications and business Intelligence allowing real-time response. The first product shipped in late November 2010. By mid-2011, the technology had attracted interest but the conservative business customers still considered it "in early days". HANA support for SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse was announced in September 2011 for availability by November.
In January 2013, SAP enterprise resource planning software from its Business Suite was announced for HANA, and became available by May. In May 2013, a software as a service offering called the HANA Enterprise Cloud service was announced.
The focal point of the community of developers on SAP HANA platform is SAP HANA Developer Center or "the DevCenter". The DevCenter offers general information, education materials, community forums, plus access to SAP HANA database with free licenses hosted in the public cloud (like CloudShare, Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure). Access to some materials and features may require free registration.
- SAP HANA Certification materials containing materials to prepare for SAP HANA Certification.
- Jeff Kelly (July 12, 2013). "Primer on SAP HANA". Wikibon. Retrieved October 9, 2013.
- SAP HANA - The Column Oriented (Based) Database on YouTube (December 8, 2012)
- Vey, Gereon; Krutov, Ilya (January 2012). "SAP In-Memory Computing on IBM eX5 Systems". Retrieved 22 October 2013.
- SAP AG (June 17, 2012). "SAP HANA Timeline". SlideShare. Retrieved October 9, 2013.
- "What is SAP HANA Database". Gucons web site. 2011. Retrieved October 9, 2013.
- Chris Kanaracus (October 19, 2010). "SAP's in-memory analytics boxes set for November release". Info World. Retrieved October 9, 2013.
- Chris Kanaracus (December 1, 2010). "SAP launches HANA for in-memory analytics: The in-memory analytic appliance will compete with next-generation data-processing platforms such as Oracle's Exadata machines". Info World. Retrieved September 24, 2013.
- Chris Kanaracus (September 15, 2011). "SAP's HANA is hot, but still in early days". Network World. Retrieved October 15, 2013.
- Courtney Bjorlin (November 9, 2011). "SAP Begins BW on HANA Ramp-Up, First Big Test for the HANA Database". ASUG News. Retrieved October 15, 2013.
- Trevis Team (April 30, 2012). "SAP Headed For $71 On Cloud, Mobile And HANA Growth". Forbes. Retrieved October 9, 2013.
- Doug Henschen (October 17, 2012). "SAP Launches Cloud Platform Built On Hana". Information Week. Archived from the original on October 19, 2012. Retrieved October 15, 2013.
- Brian McKenna (January 11, 2013). "SAP puts Business Suite on HANA, joins transactional to analytical". Computer Weekly. Retrieved October 15, 2013.
- "Sapphire 2013: Business Suite on HANA goes to general availability". Computer Weekly. May 15, 2013. Retrieved October 15, 2013.
- Chris Kanaracus (May 7, 2013). "SAP unveils HANA Enterprise Cloud service: Customers will be able to run their applications on the HANA-powered cloud". Network World. Retrieved October 15, 2013.
- "Update III: The SAP HANA FAQ - answering key SAP In-Memory questions". Bluefin Solutions. John Appleby. Retrieved October 9, 2013.
- Mellisa Tolentino (May 14, 2012). "Your SAP HANA Cheat Sheet: Milestones, Terms and More". Silicon Angle blog. Retrieved October 9, 2013.