Salanter Akiba Riverdale Academy
|Salanter Akiba Riverdale Academy (SAR Academy)|
|Type||Private coeducational primary, middle, and secondary|
|Principal||Rabbi Binyamin Krauss|
|Location||Riverdale, Bronx, New York, New York, USA|
|Colors||Blue and White/ Black and Yellow|
|Mascot||A giant bee|
Salanter Akiba Riverdale Academy, better known by the acronym, SAR Academy, is a coeducational, private Modern Orthodox Jewish day school. The school is located in the Riverdale section of the New York City borough of the Bronx. Its name derives from the three schools which merged to form it, Salanter (named after Rabbi Yisrael Salanter), Akiba, and the Riverdale Academy, all Orthodox yeshiva day schools. The three schools merged in 1968 and adopted the current name.
The school's founding principal was Rabbi Sheldon Chwat, who was followed by former Assistant Principal Rabbi Yonah Fuld, who was then succeeded by then assistant principal Rabbi Joel Cohn, all of whom subsequently moved to Israel. The principal since the 2005–06 academic year has been Rabbi Binyamin Krauss, who is helped by associate principals Sharon Richter and Milly Rosner.
The school is closely affiliated with SAR High School, which is headed by the former assistant principal of the Academy, Rabbi Naphtali Harcsztark, and is made up mostly of students from the elementary school.
SAR requires students to take a dual curriculum, taking both General Studies courses as well as Judaic Studies. General Studies classes include Math, Science, English and Social Studies. The Judaic Studies courses are Hebrew language, Mishnah, Talmud (Gemara) and Bible studies (Tanach).
Awards and honors
During the 1991–92 school year, Salanter Akiba Riverdale Academy was recognized with the Blue Ribbon School Award of Excellence by the United States Department of Education, the highest award an American school can receive.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (June 2013)|
- Brian Ash, screenwriter, producer
- Ari Gold, singer-songwriter
- Ralph Lauren, fashion designer (Salanter).
- Achinoam Nini, singer-songwriter
- Chaim Potok, author (graduated from Salanter)
- Regina Spektor, singer-songwriter
- Jonathan Tropper, novelist
- Rav Zvi Sobolofsky, Rosh Yeshiva RIETS
- Joe David, Renowned Potpourri Manufacturer
- SAR | Contact and Administration
- Blue Ribbon Schools Program: Schools Recognized 1982-1983 through 1999-2002 (PDF), United States Department of Education. Accessed May 11, 2006.
- CIBA cited as one of the best by Education Department, Journal Inquirer, November 16, 2006. "The Blue Ribbon award is given only to schools that reach the top 10 percent of their state's testing scores over several years or show significant gains in student achievement. It is considered the highest honor a school can achieve."
- Viers Mill School Wins Blue Ribbon; School Scored High on Statewide Test; The Washington Post. September 29, 2005 "For their accomplishments, all three schools this month earned the status of Blue Ribbon School, the highest honor the U.S. Education Department can bestow upon a school."
- Gross, Michael. "Genuine Authentic", via Google Books, p. 41, HarperCollins, 2004 ISBN 0-06-095848-0. Accessed December 31, 2008.