SBTRKT performing at Liverpool Sound City
|Origin||London, United Kingdom|
|Genres||Post-dubstep, indie pop, electronic|
SBTRKT (pronounced "subtract") is the musical project led by Aaron Jerome. SBTRKT has remixed songs by artists such as M.I.A, Radiohead, Modeselektor, Basement Jaxx, Mark Ronson and Underworld, and has released singles, EPs, and a self-titled album. His music has been placed in rotation by BBC Radio 1 and BBC Radio 6 Music.
SBTRKT also has performed live with frequent collaborator Sampha. The live show to 2012 consisted of Jerome utilizing electronic and acoustic drums, synthesisers and effects with Sampha playing two keyboards and singing.
The reason Jerome uses the project's title as opposed to him using his own name is to support the concept of anonymity. Jerome has explained "[I'd] rather not talk about myself as a person, and let the music speak for itself. The name SBTRKT is me taking myself away from that whole process. I'm not a social person, so having to talk to DJs to make them play a record is not something I want to do. It's more about giving them a record as an anonymous person and seeing whether they like it or not. If they play it, they play it."
To further support SBTRKT's anonymity, SBTRKT wears modern interpretations of native society ceremonial masks designed by Hidden Place.
- 2010: 2020 (Brainmath Records)
- 2010: Step In Shadows
- 2014: Transitions I
- 2014: Transitions II
- 2014: Transitions III
- 2009: "LAIKA" (Brainmath Records)
- 2013: Live (with Sampha)
- 2013: IMO (taken from the Young Turks 2013 Compilation)
- Break Off/Evening Glow (with Sampha) (2010) - Ramp Recordings
- Midnight Marauder (with Sinden) (2010) - Grizzly
- Soundboy Shift (2010)
- Nervous (with Jessie Ware) (2010) - Numbers
- Living Like I Do (with Sampha) (2011, 12" Ltd)
- Ready Set Loop / Twice Bitten (2011, 12" Ltd, Gre) - SBTRKT
- Wildfire (with Yukimi Nagano of Little Dragon and Drake) (2011, 12" Ltd)
- Hold On (with Sampha) (2012, 12" Ltd)
- Lester, Paul (21 June 2011). "New band of the day - No 1,048: SBTRKT". London: Guardian News and Media Limited.
- Jama, Zainab. "Introduce Yourself: Debut". Billboard.
- "BBC - Music - SBTRKT". bbc.co.uk. BBC. 2011. Retrieved 15 July 2011.
- "SBTRKT: Unmasked Elation - City Arts Blog - City Arts Magazine". City Arts magazine.
- "Less Is More - SBTRKT Interview". Clash Music.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to SBTRKT.|