SCE Worldwide Studios
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2013)|
|Type||Division of Sony Computer Entertainment|
Computer and video games
|Founded||September 14, 2005|
|Number of locations||United States,
|Key people||Shuhei Yoshida (President)|
|Parent||Sony Computer Entertainment|
Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios, officially abbreviated SCE Worldwide Studios, is a group of video game developers owned by Sony Computer Entertainment which was established in 2005. It is a single internal entity overseeing all wholly owned development studios within SCE. It is responsible for the creative and strategic direction of development and production of all computer entertainment software by all SCE-owned studios, all of which is produced exclusively for the PlayStation family of consoles.
- Guerrilla Games, developers of the Killzone series, was acquired by Sony Computer Entertainment as part of its SCE WWS.
- 989 Studios, developers of various sport games, was closed.
- Zipper Interactive, developers of the SOCOM series, was acquired by Sony Computer Entertainment as part of its SCE WWS.
- Evolution Studios and Bigbig Studios, developers of the MotorStorm series and Pursuit Force series, were acquired by Sony Computer Entertainment as part of its SCE WWS.
- Media Molecule, developers of the PlayStation 3 game LittleBigPlanet, was acquired by Sony Computer Entertainment as part of its SCE WWS.
- Sucker Punch Productions, developers of the Sly Cooper series and Infamous series, was acquired by Sony Computer Entertainment as part of its SCE WWS.
- Bigbig Studios, developers of the Pursuit Force series, was closed.
- Zipper Interactive, developers of the SOCOM, MAG and Unit 13 series, was closed.
- SCE Studio Liverpool - developer of the Wipeout series, was closed.
- Sony renames SCE Cambridge Studio to "Guerrilla Cambridge" studios; now will be a sister studio to Guerrilla Games.
SCE Worldwide Studios contains seventeen production studios worldwide:
- SCE Japan Studio - Tokyo, Japan.
- Team Ico part of Japan Studio. Creators of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus.
- Project Siren part of Japan Studio. Creators of Siren and Gravity Rush.
- PlayStation C.A.M.P. - Creator Audition Mash-up Project part of Japan Studio, that collaborates with various independent developers. Creators of Tokyo Jungle and Rain.
- J.S.E.D.D. - Japan Studio External Development Department part of Japan Studio, that usually collaborates with various well-known development studios. Creators of Soul Sacrifice and Freedom Wars.
- Polyphony Digital - Tokyo, Japan. Creators of Gran Turismo.
- Naughty Dog - Santa Monica, California, USA
- ICE Team part of Naughty Dog
- SCE Bend Studio - Bend, Oregon, USA
- SCE Foster City Studio - Foster City, California, USA
- SCE San Diego Studio - San Diego, California, USA
- SCE Santa Monica Studio - Santa Monica, California, USA
- Sucker Punch Productions - Bellevue, Washington, USA
- Evolution Studios - Runcorn, UK
- Guerrilla Games - Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Guerrilla Cambridge - Cambridge, UK
- XDev - External development studio
- SCE London Studio - London, UK
- Media Molecule - Surrey, UK
In addition, Naughty Dog is home to the ICE Team, one of Sony's World Wide Studios central technology groups. The term ICE originally stands for Initiative for a Common Engine which describes the original purpose of the studio. The ICE Team focuses on creating core graphics technologies for Sony's worldwide first party published titles, including low level game engine components, graphics processing pipelines, supporting tools, and graphics profiling and debugging tools. The ICE Team also supports third party developers with a suite of engine components, and a graphics analysis, profiling, and debugging tool for the RSX. Both enable developers to get better performance out of PlayStation hardwares.
Within European and PAL territories, XDev team manages titles from independent development studios, which are to be published by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. Based within SCE's Studio Liverpool facility, XDev has collaborated with studios such as Quantic Dream, Relentless Software, Eurocom and Sumo Digital, as well as Media Molecule, Evolution Studios and Guerrilla Games, prior to their incorporation into the SCE Worldwide Studios network. XDev has helped to create and publish, award-winning titles such as LittleBigPlanet, the Buzz! series, and Heavenly Sword. As well as funding projects, XDev offers full game production, project management and game design support. Titles are also supported with community management, online production and dedicated outsourcing management facilities. XDev titles are published by the SCE Europe, America and Japan distribution network.
Quantic Dream, a game development studio located in Paris, France, whilst not a 1st-party developer for SCE Worldwide Studios, they have created Sony exclusive games since 2010, and recently stated that they have no interest in ending that exclusivity. "We're certainly not going to change partner for the sake of making more money; that's not the philosophy behind our studio. As long as we can create the games we want to create, we'll stay with Sony." Quantic Dream's latest video game, Beyond: Two Souls, was released the 8th October 2013, and they also have a PlayStation 4 exclusive in the works. 
Zingagi Games is studio specialized in move-based games.
Tarsier Studios made various games for Sony.
- "SCE Establishes SCE Worldwide Studios" (PDF) (Press release). Sony Computer Entertainment. September 14, 2005. Retrieved 2005-09-14.
- "Sony Computer Entertainment Acquires Guerrilla Games" (Press release). London: Sony Computer Entertainment. December 8, 2005. Retrieved 2010-03-23.
- "Sony Computer Entertainment Acquires Zipper Interactive" (Press release). Foster City: Sony Computer Entertainment. January 24, 2006. Retrieved 2010-03-23.
- "Sony Computer Entertainment Acquires Evolution Studios and Bigbig Studios" (Press release). Tokyo: Sony Computer Entertainment. September 20, 2007. Retrieved 2010-03-23.
- "Sony Computer Entertainment Acquires Media Molecule." (Press release). London: Sony Computer Entertainment. March 2, 2010. Retrieved 2010-03-23.
- "Sony Computer Entertainment Acquires Sucker Punch Productions" (Press release). Sony Computer Entertainment. August 2, 2011.
- http://www.edge-online.com/news/sony-close-studio-liverpool[dead link]
- Zuylen, Victor (December 24, 2012). "Happy Holidays from Guerrilla Games!". PlayStation.Blog. Sony Computer Entertainment America. Retrieved December 24, 2012.
- Mark Cerny's "Road to the PS4" @ Gamelab 2013. YouTube (2013-06-27). Retrieved on 2013-07-16.
- Naughty Dog Careers. Naughtydog.com. Retrieved on 2013-07-16.
- Sony’s Secret Super Development Team. PS3 Attitude (2009-06-05). Retrieved on 2013-07-16.
- News: Quantic Dream has no interest in ending Sony exclusivity, says co-CEO. ComputerAndVideoGames.com (2013-03-22). Retrieved on 2013-07-16.
- Quantic Dream confirms PS4 game in the works, will be story and character-driven. Polygon (2013-03-21). Retrieved on 2013-07-16.