South Carolina Highway 170
|Maintained by SCDOT|
|Length:||35.2 mi (56.6 km)|
|Existed:||1931 – present|
|West end:||SR 25 at Ga. state line|
| US 17 near Limehouse
US 278 in Bluffton
US 21 in Beaufort
US 21 Bus. in Beaufort
South Carolina Highway 170 (SC 170) is a 35.1-mile (56.5 km) state highway, connecting northern Beaufort County with southern portions of Beaufort and Jasper counties. Due to increased population growth in both areas, the majority of the road is four lanes wide, with certain areas retaining the original two lane configuration.
||This article or section is written in the wrong direction. U.S. road articles are generally written in a south-to-north and west-to-east direction in order to follow the order of their mileposts.|
The route travels generally in a northeast to southwest direction, beginning in Beaufort and ending at the Georgia state line at the Savannah River, where it continues as Georgia State Route 25 into Port Wentworth.
Beginning in Beaufort at an angular intersection with US 21 Business, the road is known as Robert Smalls Parkway for approximately five miles as it travels in a southwesterly direction across Port Royal Island. After intersecting with US 21 and SC 128, SC 170 crosses the Broad River over a 1.7 miles (2.7 km) four-lane bridge built in 2004, replacing a previous 2-lane drawbridge. The route crosses Lemon Island and surrounding marshes before crossing over the smaller Chechesee River and enters the southern portion of Beaufort County. This particular stretch is quite scenic, with panoramas of marshes and surrounding islands extending for miles.
Shortly after the intersection with Snake Road and Callawassie Island's entrance road, the route crosses briefly into Jasper County before running exactly along the boundary between Beaufort and Jasper County for approximately eight miles. The route is mostly rural, though new commercial and light industrial development has begun to appear along the Jasper County side of the road.
The route crosses fully into Beaufort County and passes under US 278 at an intersection known locally as McGarvey's Corner and shortly after that intersection is reduced from four to two lanes. It skirts the eastern edge of the Sun City Hilton Head development before intersecting with Bluffton Parkway, which provides direct access to Bluffton. It continues for another two miles (3 km) before reaching SC 46 at a traffic circle.
SC 170 and SC 46 are co-signed for approximately three miles as they cross into Jasper County before splitting at an intersection five miles (8 km) southeast of downtown Hardeeville. Shortly past that intersection, SC 315 (formerly SC 170 Alternate) splits from the road by continuing straight while SC 170 makes a right onto Freedom Parkway. SC 170 continues along the extent of the road before intersecting with US 17 in the unincorporated Limehouse community.
US 17 and SC 170 are co-signed for approximately two miles on a four lane, divided highway configuration. The highways split after passing by a former truck weigh station, with US 17 continuing to Savannah and SC 170 heading into the Savannah National Wildlife Refuge. The route emerges from a densely wooded area and crosses nearly two miles of marshes before reaching the Savannah River and the Georgia state line. The road continues onward to Port Wentworth as Georgia State Route 25.
Established around 1931 as a new primary routing from US 17 (today Levy Road S-27-34) to SC 33 (today SC 46). In 1939, it was extended north to where US 278 exists today. In 1940, it was extended north again to SC 368, near Coosawhatchie; and again by 1942 to US 17 in Coosawhatchie. In 1949, SC 170 was extended west from Coosawhatchie to SC 128, near Gillisonville, a renumbering of SC 366. In 1958, SC 170 was rerouted to US 21 in Beaufort, via the Broad River Bridge, replacing part of SC 169; its old alignment north through Coosawhatchie was renumbered to SC 462. Around 1975, SC 170 was extended slightly south over an old alignment of US 17 as mainline US 17 was placed on a new bypass west of Limehouse. In 1995, SC 170 was extended south into Georgia, replacing of mainline US 17.
|Jasper||State line||0.0||0.0||SR 25 south – Port Wentworth||Bridge over Little Back River|
|3.2||5.1||US 17 south – Savannah||South end of US 17 overlap|
|Limehouse||4.8||7.7||US 17 north – Hardeeville||North end of US 17 overlap|
|8.6||13.8||SC 315 south – Savannah|
|8.9||14.3||SC 46 west (Plantation Drive) – Hardeeville||West end of SC 46 overlap|
|Beaufort||Bluffton||11.5||18.5||SC 46 east (May River Road) / New Riverside Road – Bluffton||East end of SC 46 overlap; roundabout|
|16.0||25.7||US 278 (Fording Island Road) – Hilton Head Island, Hardeeville|
|Jasper||20.1||32.3||SC 462 north (LowCountry Drive) – Ridgeland|
|23.5||37.8||Snake Road / Callawassie Island Road – Ridgeland, Callawassie, Spring Island|
|Beaufort||Broad River||29.0||46.7||Broad River Bridge over the Broad River|
|Port Royal||30.3||48.8||SC 128 east (Savannah Highway) – Parris Island, Port Royal, Sea Islands||Formerly the southern terminus for SC 802|
|Beaufort||33.4||53.8||US 21 (Parris Island Gateway) – Parris Island, Charleston, Columbia|
US 21 Bus. (Boundary Street) – Beaufort, Charleston, Columbia
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
Levy alternate route
|Location:||Levy, South Carolina|
|Length:||6.1 mi (9.8 km)|
Established around 1972 as a new primary routing from US 17 Alt to SC 170; an upgrade to secondary road S-27-117 (built in the late 1950s) and part of S-27-92 (Belinger Hill Road). Its existence created a rare alternate spur, but provided a more direct routing between Bluffton and Savannah. In 2010, it was renumbered as SC 315.
The entire route is in Jasper County.
|0.0||0.0||US 17 (Speedway Boulevard) – Hardeeville, Savannah|
|6.1||9.8||SC 170 (Freedom Parkway / South Okatie Highway) to SC 46 – Bluffton, Hilton Head Island|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Google Inc. "South Carolina Highway 170". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=SC-170+W%2FAlligator+Alley&daddr=32.2422909,-81.0052479+to:Robert+Smalls+Pkwy&hl=en&ll=32.292357,-80.768738&spn=0.505564,0.891953&sll=32.294679,-80.722733&sspn=0.505551,0.891953&geocode=FeDP6gEd9A8q-w%3BFXL66wEdQfUr-ylvfkBRPpD7iDF9cp-gnpButA%3BFUwB7wEdyo0w-w&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=11&via=1&t=p&z=11. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- South Carolina Department of Transportation (1940) (PDF). General Highway Map, Jasper County, South Carolina (Map). Cartography by SCDOT. http://digital.tcl.sc.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/scrm/id/327/rec/2. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- South Carolina Department of Transportation (1952) (PDF). General Highway Map, Jasper County, South Carolina (Map). Cartography by SCDOT. http://digital.tcl.sc.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/scrm/id/278/rec/1. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- South Carolina Department of Transportation (1959) (PDF). General Highway Map, Jasper County, South Carolina (Map). Cartography by SCDOT. http://digital.tcl.sc.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/scrm/id/616/rec/3. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- South Carolina Department of Transportation (1967) (PDF). General Highway Map, Beaufort County, South Carolina (Map). Cartography by SCDOT. http://digital.tcl.sc.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/scrm/id/714/rec/2. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "Bridgehunter.com - Broad River Draw Bridge". Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- South Carolina Department of Transportation (1979) (PDF). General Highway Map, Jasper County, South Carolina (Map). Cartography by SCDOT. http://digital.tcl.sc.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/scrm/id/191/rec/4. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- Google Inc. "South Carolina Highway 170 Alternate". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=S+Carolina+315+N%2FS+Okatie+Hwy&daddr=S+Carolina+315+N%2FS+Okatie+Hwy&hl=en&ll=32.199874,-81.033268&spn=0.118822,0.222988&sll=32.227914,-81.022325&sspn=0.007424,0.013937&geocode=Faae6gEdxTMr-w%3BFbnI6wEdSrQr-w&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=17&t=m&z=13. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- Media related to South Carolina Highway 170 at Wikimedia Commons
- Mapmikey's South Carolina Highways Page: SC 170-179