The System Display and Search Facility (SDSF) feature of IBM mainframes running z/OS allows users and administrators to be able to view and control various aspects of the mainframe's operation and system resources. Batch job output, status of running Unix processes, system information, workload scheduling,External device monitoring such as printers,initiators . SDSF is primarily used to access the batch and system log files and dumps.
SDSF was originally known as SPOOL Display and Search Facility - when it was a field-developed program offering. The word SPOOL was changed to System when it became a program product in the late 1980s.
Prior to z/OS Release 10, SDSF was only supported for use with JES2 and not JES3, although ISV products from Phoenix Software International and Tone Software are available with similar functionality for JES3. At and beyond z/OS Release 10, SDSF now fully supports JES3, with some new commands (JDS and ODS) to display the data/sets and job output for JES3 jobs.
With the release of z/OS V1R13, SDSF came packed with some interesting features like cursor sensitive sort or point and shoot sort and extensive support for oper logs from Rexx and Java programmed environments.
Some of the options available are:
- LOG: To see the current log of system activity.
- DA: "Display Active" or running processes.
- I: Input Queue - shows jobs waiting execution.
- H: Jobs on HOLD - either waiting to be released into Input or Output or actual copies of job JCL (Job Control Language) or previously executed jobs.
- ST: Displays current status of all jobs
- PR: Displays printers.
- INIT: Displays Initiators (areas where jobs execute or run).
- O: Output Queue
- LINE: Network Job Entry (NJE) Lines
- SR: System Requests
- MAS: Members in a MAS (Multiple Access Spool)
- JC: Job Classes
- PS: z/OS UNIX Processes
- RES: WLM (WorkLoad Manager) Resources
- ENC: Enclaves
- SE: Scheduling Environments
- PUN: Punches
- RDR: Readers
- NODE: NJE (Network Job Entry) Nodes
- SO: Spool offload
- SP: Spool volumes
- RM: Resource monitor
- CK: Health checker
- ULOG: User session log
- PRE: Prefix (List jobs with a specified prefix)
Jobs lists via SDSF can be selected with the following commands:
- C: Cancel a running job
- S: Select job (view only)
- SE: Select edit job (view in edit mode)
- SJ: Show job (view original JCL of the job)
- P: Purge a job (remove entirely)
- Wood, Chip. "Share Presentation covering z/OS R10 SDSF including the new support for JES3" (PDF). Retrieved 2008-11-02.[dead link]
|This software article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This mainframe computer-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|