Society for Education Action and Research in Community Health
||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (April 2012)|
Society for Education Action and Research in Community health (SEARCH), is an non-governmental organization in Gadchiroli, Maharashtra, India, which works in the field of rural health services and research. It was founded by Drs. Abhay and Rani Bang in 1986.
Domain of work
SEARCH has its domain of work in the following areas.
- Home Based Neonatal Care. SEARCH’s strategy to curb infant deaths relies on training community health workers to diagnose and treat newborn diseases and has been dramatically successful in reducing infant mortality. Over a span of 15 years, SEARCH has been able to reduce infant mortality in its intervention area by 75% to around 30, by providing home-based newborn care (HBNC).
- Women's health/men health
- Surgery camps
The SEARCH approach is to "Go to the people, Live among them, Love them, Listen to them, Learn from them, Begin with what they know, Build up on what they have."
Search has many publications in many medical journals. Below is a list of few of the publications.
- Bang, Abhay T.; Bang, Rani A.; Tale, O; Sontakke, P; Solanki, J; Wargantiwar, R; Kelzarkar, P. (1990-07-28). "Reduction in Pneumonia mortality and total childhood mortality by means of community-based intervention trial in Gadchiroli, India". The Lancet 336 (8709): 201–206. PMID 1973770.
- Bang, Abhay T.; Bang, Rani A.; the SEARCH team (1992). "Diagnosis of causes of childhood deaths in developing countries by Verbal Autopsy: Suggested Criteria". Bulletin of the World Health Organization 70 (4): 499–507.
- Bang, Abhay T.; Bang, Rani A.; Baitule, Sanjay B.; Reddy, M. Hanimi; Deshmukh, Mahesh D. (1999-12-04). "Effect of home-based neonatal care and management of sepsis on neonatal mortality: field trial in rural India". The Lancet 354 (9194): 1955–1961. PMID 10622298.
- "Neonates in Gadchiroli - Field trial of HBNC in India (1993-2003)". Journal of Perinatology 25 (Supplement 1).
- Bang, Abhay T.; Reddy, M. Hanimi; Deshmukh, Mahesh D. (2002-12-07). "Child Mortality in Maharashtra". Economic and Political Weekly 37 (49): 4947–4965.
- "Partners: Society for Education Action and Research in Community Health (SEARCH)". Healthy Newborn Network. Retrieved 2013-12-19.
- Chinai, Rupa (2003-04-17). "NGO trains women in state as barefoot neonatologists". The Times of India.
- Bhattacharya, Pramit (2012-04-17). "Gadchiroli's trudging doctors spell hope". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 2013-12-19.
- "The Approach". Society for Education, Action and Research in Community Health.
- "Tailoring community-based health care to address the unique challenges of India's rural poor". John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation.
- "Grants to Society for Education, Action & Research in Community Health - See more at: http://www.macfound.org/grantees/732/#sthash.bgs1TBXb.dpuf". John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation. Retrieved 2013-12-19.