The SELCHP Plant in 2007
|Official name||South East London Combined
Heat and Power Plant
|Thermal power station|
|grid reference TQ356781|
SELCHP is a major incineration plant located in South Bermondsey, London. SELCHP is an acronym for "South East London Combined Heat and Power" energy recovery facility. The combined heat and power system was designed for a district heating scheme that has never been implemented and the plant generates only electricity. The plant can generate up to 35 MW of power using a steam turbine. It can take up to 420,000 tonnes per year of municipal solid waste.
In 1986, faced with the increasing scarcity and environmental problems of landfill, the local authorities of Lewisham, Southwark, and Greenwich came together to search for and identify a realistic alternative. In 1988, they formed an organisation - the South East London Combined Heat and Power Consortium - from which SELCHP now takes its name.
In 2002 SELCHP was subject to direct action by Greenpeace UK. They were concerned about the potential negative health effects of the dioxins produced during the incineration of waste at the site. The plant was shut down for three and a half days when protesters entered the main tipping hall and climbed the chimney. The standoff was resolved when bailiffs entered the building and removed the protestors. As a result of the action both Liberal Democrats on Lewisham Council and the Shadow Environment Secretary Peter Ainsworth pledged their support to the campaign.
SELCHP is currently operated by Veolia Environmental Services.
- How SELCHP works, www.selchp.com, Retrieved 28.11.06
- South East London Combined Heat and Power Limited, www.energy.rochester.edu, Retrieved 28.11.06
- Greenpeace UK, www.greenpeace.org.uk, Retrieved 11.4.09
- Greenpeace UK - Liberal Democrats support greenpeace wake-up call, www.greenpeace.org.uk, Retrieved 11.4.09
- Greenpeace UK - Tories urge government to act on greenpeace dioxin claims, www.greenpeace.org.uk, Retrieved 11.4.09
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to SELCHP.|