SGUL Teddy Bear Hospital
||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (June 2010)|
Teddy Bear Hospital (TBH) is an international project, whose aim is to reduce childhood anxiety about medical environments, procedures and professionals. TBH exists at 21 Medical Schools in the UK and at 8 Medical Schools in Australia.
At St George's University of London TBH is operated as a project under Medsin, although it is considered its own society. It is run by a dedicated committee and has trained around 200 Teddy Bear Doctors, each of whom has been CRB checked and holds a NSPCC Child Protection Awareness Certificate.
Projects run by TBH at St George's, University of London:
- Talks/lectures promoting child health (FGM Talk)
- Fundraising (Fun Run, Harrod’s donations for Paeds wards)
- Puppet Shows
The clinics are the main focus of the society and form the main method of achieving its aim. Clinics have been run for schools, beaver scouts, and Student Action for refugees’ after-school club in South West London since March 2009 and have received outstanding feedback. The society currently offers 12 stations for clinics. They use a creative and multi-sensory approach, which is inclusive for all children. The majority of the time is spent with the children doing tasks. Aspects of the stations compliment or cover parts of the KS1/KS2 curriculum, in particular PHSE. Children are asked to bring along a teddy tear to the clinic on which new skills are learnt and practised. If the Teddy Bear is already sick, its even better!
Stations on offer at clinics:
- First Aid
- Smoothie making and healthy living
- Eye and Ear
- Vital Signs
- Scrubbing and Infection Control
Talks The FGM talk took place at St George's University London in 2009. With a large number of people attending, it was informative and increased awareness on the topic.
Fundraising Our highlight this year has been the TBH Fun Run in Hyde Park in May 
- "Teddy Bear Hospital". Medsin-UK. 2009-04-12. Retrieved 2010-07-01.
- "Teddy Bear Hospital : What is the Teddy Bear Hospital?". St. George's Student's Union. Retrieved 2010-07-01.
- "5km fun run for Teddy Bear Hospital". LivingWandsworth. 2010-05-22. Retrieved 2010-07-01.