SHV Holdings is a privately owned Dutch trading company, regarded as one of the world's largest private trading groups. SHV have interests in transport, retail, oil and financial services, including part of the Makro cash-and-carry chain.
SHV Holdings were founded in 1896 as "Steenkolen Handels-Vereeniging" in the Netherlands through the merger of eight coal wholesalers, as a response to the formation of the German Rheinisch-Westfälisches Kohlen-Syndikat. They started to diversify their interests in the following years, moving into shipping and retail. The company grew astronomically under the guidance of Frits Fentener van Vlissingen (1882-1962) who managed to secure a monopoly on coal transport in the Netherlands. After World War II, SHV expanded their energy interests into oil and petrol, and in 1964 established the Makro cash-and-carry stores. By 1995 they were the largest trading company in the Netherlands.
Companies owned by SHV Holdings
- SHV Energy - Liquefied Petroleum Gas
- Primagaz - SHV Energy used name in some countries
- Makro - Food & non food consumer articles
- Dyas - E&P of oil & gas
- Prins Autogas - World leader in the alternative fuel systems
- EVAS - One of the largest LPG Cylinders and Automotive LPG Tanks manufacturers in Europe
- TCEC - Investment in renewable energy
- NPM Capital - Private equity
- Mammoet - Heavy lifting, transport & salvage
- ERIKS - Equipment supply, technical & logistic services and maintenance
- Ipragaz - Liquefied Petroleum Gas