SIG Sauer Mosquito
|SIG SAUER Mosquito|
SIG Mosquito with sight-rail and red-dot sight
|Place of origin||
|Cartridge||.22 Long Rifle|
|Feed system||10-round detachable magazine|
The SIG Mosquito is a blowback-operated, semi-automatic pistol based on the SIG Sauer P226, but 10% smaller in size and chambered for the .22 LR cartridge. The pistol is manufactured with an aluminum-zinc alloy slide and polymer frame. The controls are similar to those present on full-size models and include (from front to rear) a left takedown lever, a left decocking lever, reversible magazine catch and ambidextrous manual safety. In addition, the pistol is provided with an integral safety lock located at the rear of the magazine well which when enabled prevents cycling of slide, hammer fall, and trigger action. The pistol is available in five different configurations: Standard model, Sport, Threaded barrel, Two-tone, Reversed two-tone, and four special editions having different colors.
All models have an accessory rail on the frame.
The Mosquito is offered in different configurations/ color schemes:
- Mosquito: Standard model
- Mosquito Sport: 4.9 inch barrel with weight for increased accuracy and longer sight radius
- Mosquito with threaded barrel: Barrel is threaded for a suppressor
- Mosquito Two-Tone: Black frame and stainless slide
- Mosquito Reversed Two-Tone: Black slide and "stainless" finished polymer frame
- Mosquito Pink Two-Tone: Black slide and pink polymer frame
- Mosquito Flat Dark Earth: FDE frame and slide with polymer grips
- Mosquito Olive Drab: OD Green frame and slide with polymer grips.
- Mosquito Multicam: Multicam frame and slide with polymer grips.
Along with extra magazines and holsters, optional accessories include a polymer bridge mount that makes it possible to mount a red dot sight or other optical accessory. Its accessory rail makes it possible to mount lights and/or lasers.
The standard Mosquito model is chambered in .22 LR and has a double-action/single-action (DA/SA) trigger. Single action trigger pull is 4.4 lbs while Double-action is 12.4 lbs. The polymer frame and small size (compared to the SIG P226) allow the pistol with magazine to weigh little more than 24.6 oz. The overall height is 5.3 inches with a barrel length of 3.9 inches. The Mosquito's frame has an accessory rail, a ten-round capacity magazine, and adjustable sights. The Mosquito used to be made in America, but is now made under license by German Sport Guns GmbH.
- Ramage, Ken; Sigler, Derrek (2008). Guns Illustrated 2009. Iola, Wisconsin: F+W Media, Inc. p. 112. ISBN 0-89689-673-0.
- Pearsall, Jennifer (27 August 2012). Gun Digest Illustrated Guide to Modern Firearms. Iola, Wisconsin: Gun Digest Books. pp. 83–84. ISBN 1-4402-3253-9.