SIG Sauer P250
SIG P250 9mm.
|Place of origin||Switzerland
|Used by||See Users|
|Designer||Adrian Thomele, Thomas Metzger, Michael Mayerl, Ethan Lessard|
|Manufacturer||SIG Sauer GmbH, Eckernfoerde, Germany; SIG SAUER Inc., Exeter, NH, USA|
|Variants||Full-size, Compact, Subcompact|
|Weight||29.4 oz (830 g) P250 Full Size (incl magazine)
26.9 oz (760 g) P250 Compact (incl magazine)
24.9 oz (710 g) P250 Subcompact (incl magazine)
|Length||8.0 in (203.2 mm) P250 Full Size
7.2 in (182.9 mm) P250 Compact
6.7 in (170.2 mm) P250 Subcompact
|Barrel length||4.7 in (119.4 mm) P250 Full Size
3.9 in (99.1 mm) P250 Compact
3.6 in (91.4 mm) P250 Subcompact
|Width||1.4 in (35.6 mm) P250 Full Size
1.3 in (33.0 mm) P250 Compact
1.1 in (27.9 mm) P250 Subcompact
|Height||5.5 in (139.7 mm) P250 Full Size
5.16 in (131.1 mm) P250 Compact
4.7 in (119.4 mm) P250 Subcompact
|Action||Short recoil operated, locked breech|
|Rate of fire||Semi-automatic|
|Feed system||17-round box magazine
(9×19mm Parabellum P250 Full Size)
14-round box magazine
(.357 SIG, .40 S&W P250 Full Size)
10-round box magazine
(.45 ACP P250 Full Size)
15-round box magazine
(9×19mm Parabellum P250 Compact)
13-round box magazine
(.357 SIG, .40 S&W P250 Compact)
9-round box magazine
(.45 ACP P250 Compact)
12-round box magazine
(9×19mm Parabellum, .380 ACP P250 Subcompact)
10-round box magazine
(.40 S&W P250 Subcompact)
6-round box magazine
(.45 ACP P250 Subcompact)
|Sights||Fixed iron sights, front—blade, rear—ncotch|
The SIG Sauer P250 is a semi-automatic pistol made by J.P. Sauer & Sohn, and SIG Sauer of Exeter, New Hampshire. The SIG Sauer P250 can be chambered in .357 SIG, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 9×19mm Parabellum, and .380 ACP. The P250 chambered in 9×19mm Parabellum was introduced in the North American market on November 7, 2007 followed by the .45 ACP compact model at SHOT Show 2008 in February. The last of the models were introduced in late 2009.
Like other SIG-Sauer pistols, the P250 pistol is a short recoil operated, locked breech pistol. It uses the typical SIG-Sauer cam-operated barrel, which locks into the ejection port on the slide.
A key feature of the pistol is its modular design. The main module of the P250 is an internal stainless steel frame fire control unit which consist of the integrated fire control group (trigger, hammer and all necessary linkage and springs), ambidextrous slide release (one on each side of the pistol), ejector and four slide rails. This steel receiver unit is used in every P250 grip module, top end, and chambering combination and is inserted into the grip frame module and held in place by the axis pin of the disassembly lever. The firearm's serial number is on the fire control unit instead of the grip module. The fire control unit allows the operator to interchange differently-sized slide assembly or top end modules and polymer grip frame modules and trigger shoes and (limited) chambering conversions to adapt the gun to the individual user and address different needs.
The P250 was designed to be ambidextrous in handling, sporting an ambidextrous slide catch lever and user reversible magazine catch. All other operating controls are designed so they can be operated from either side. The firearm can be field stripped with no tools.
The full-size and compact grip modules feature an integral Picatinny rail mounting-bracket at the lower forward edge of the module to allow the mounting of laser sights, tactical lights, and other accessories. Before the introduction of the Picatinny rail SIG used a differing Rail Integration System on the P250 Compact.
The P250 pistol is offered in three glass-reinforced polymer grip module sizes—small, medium, and large—in each of the full-sized, compact, and subcompact P250 variants. The pistol top ends also come in full-sized, compact, and subcompact variants that will fit the correspondingly sized grip modules. Every chambering can be converted by the user with a caliber exchange kit. The 9×19mm Parabellum, .40 S&W, and .357 SIG chamberings share their polymer grip frame modules and this offers the possibility to interchange these three chamberings by swapping the top end—consisting of the slide, recoil spring assembly, barrel and the box magazine. Due to the significantly larger external dimensions of the .45 ACP cartridge compared to the other P250 chambering options, the .45 ACP chambering uses slightly wider .45 ACP specific polymer grip modules with an enlarged magazine well.
The manufacturer offers caliber exchange kits or Caliber X-Change kits consisting of a slide, recoil assembly, barrel, box magazine and grip module in the varying frame sizes, grip module sizes and chambering variants in which the P250 pistol is offered. These kits enable a user to switch between the various P250 configurations without the use of tools.
The P250 has no manual safeties to promote instant readiness. Instead of manual safeties an automated firing pin safety ensures safe carrying of the weapon whilst preventing accidental discharges if the gun is dropped or roughly handled.
The trigger is a self-decocking DAO trigger system with spurless and recessed hammer. The trigger system has a pull weight of about 5.5 lbf (3.9 kgf, 38 N) and will not reset until completely released.
The P250 trigger is available in standard or short configurations meaning two user interchangeable trigger shoe variants are offered. The short reduced reach trigger shoe configuration can be reached and operated better by users with relatively short fingers.
The P250 is available with a 3.60 in (91.4 mm), 3.86 in (98.0 mm), or 4.7 in (119.4 mm) barrel depending on the size (sub compact, compact, or full-sized, respectively).
The pistol feeds from metal detachable box magazines with a six to 17 round magazine capacity, depending on chambering and pistol size. The butt plates at the bottom of the magazines are made of polymer. The magazines of the early P250 pistols do not fit in later produced pistols due to technical changes.
The P250 comes with three-dot combat-type iron sights of which the front sight element can be drifted to the left or right in its dovetail to adjust for windage. There are three rear sight heights and six front sight heights available to adjust for elevation. Self-luminous tritium powered SIGLITE Night Sights in differing heights are optional. SIGLITE night sights are optional, but come standard in exchange kits.
The factory accessories consist of spare magazines, caliber exchange kits, a short reduced reach trigger shoe, handgun holsters, a polymer double magazine carrier, and the STL-900L Tactical Light/Laser unit.
The handguns are available with a dark colored Nitron slide surface finish, two tone finish, where the stainless steel slide has an untreated surface, and a Diamond-plated finish.
Product evolution changes
The grip modules on the P250 Compact have been changed in 2009. This change makes that the original and new style grip modules use different magazines. These old magazines are not compatible with new grip modules; the accessory rail was changed as well from a curved rail to a Picatinny rail. The factory holsters of the original grip modules do not fit newer grip modules featuring Picatinny rails. In 2012, Sig Sauer introduced a new subcompact version of the P250 with the Picatinny rail. The previous versions of the subcompact did not have this. Also introduced was a .380ACP caliber version in the subcompact frame.
- Hong Kong: Crime Wing of Hong Kong Police Force (notably Organised Crime and Triad Bureau, Criminal Intelligence Bureau, Commercial Crime Bureau, Narcotics Bureau) 
- For Dutch police service the Dutch government intended to order about 45,000 PPNL pistols (a P250 DCc variant) in 2011 to replace the Walther P5 used by the police and Glock 17 in use as a stopgap measure by the Arrestatieteam (the SWAT team of the Dutch police). In March 2011 the Dutch government informed the Dutch parliament that Heckler & Koch and Walther had sought a preliminary injunction against the intended order for PPNL pistols. The Volkskrant newspaper wrote: "the choice of the SIG Sauer earlier this year evoked surprise with representatives of both the arms industry and police unions. During police tests there was a strong preference for a pistol made by Heckler & Koch." According to the court verdict of 28 March 2011 there were no manipulations involved during the public tender process and the order was finalized.
- On 8 November 2011 the Dutch Minister of Security and Justice formally declared SIG-Sauer in default and immediately dissolved the order following the fourth negative production sample test of PPNL pistols firing Dutch police issue RUAG ACTION 4 NP ammunition by a reputable independent German testing institute (Beschussamt Ulm). Minister Ivo Opstelten found that SIG-Sauer could not deliver the requisite quality in a mass production setting and had some harsh comments on SIG-Sauer: "On the basis of the results of these tests I no longer find it responsible to continue with this pistol. There is no longer enough confidence in the quality of the pistol, nor in the capacity of the manufacturer to improve the quality or safeguard it. All this brings a risk to the safety of police officers on the street." The Minister delegated a (legal) review to examine the possibility of coming to an agreement with one of the other suppliers that has had their pistol operationally tested in the procurement procedure.
- The Federal Air Marshal Service signed a multi-million dollar contract for procurement of the SIG Sauer P250 Compact chambered for the .357 SIG cartridge in 2009. The order was cancelled and the FAMS continue to carry the current P229.
- "Sig Sauer Introduces New P250 Pistol To US Market".
- Sauer: P250 DCc
- YouTube - Sig P250 Reset
- SIG Sauer STL-900L Tactical Light/Laser unit
- "Sig Sauer P250 Now Offered In Two Tone Finish".
- PRODUCT ANNOUNCEMENT December 1st 2009
- PRODUCT ANNOUNCEMENT, December 1st 2009
- PRODUCT ANNOUNCEMENT January 2012
- "> Law Enforcement". Sig Sauer. Retrieved 2012-03-03.
- Crime officers to receive training on new pistol
- SIG Sauer P250 DCc
- "Nieuw pistool voor Nederlandse politie, www.rijksoverheid.nl (Dutch)". 2011-01-27. Retrieved 2011-01-29.
- "New Gun for Dutch Police, www.rijksoverheid.nl". 2011-01-27. Retrieved 2011-01-29.
- "Nederlandse politie krijgt nieuw pistool, www.volkskrant.nl (Dutch)". 2011-01-27. Retrieved 2011-01-29.
- "Aankoop politiepistool niet zuiver, ww.nu.nl (Dutch)". 2011-01-28. Retrieved 2011-01-29.
- Arrestatieteams nemen Glock 17 in gebruik, De Blauwe Baret
- "Het nieuwe politie pistool deel 1, SAM Wapenmagazine 156 (Dutch)" (PDF). Retrieved 2010-06-29.
- "Het nieuwe politie pistool deel 2, SAM Wapenmagazine 158 (Dutch)" (PDF). Retrieved 2010-06-29.
- "Het Nieuwe Nederlandse Politiepistool, www.politieparcours.eu/npnp.htm (Dutch)". 2011-01-28. Retrieved 2011-01-30.
- "Sig Sauer is de winnaaar, Politievakblad "Blauw" (Dutch)" (PDF). 2011-02-19. Retrieved 2011-03-23.
- "Langer wachten op nieuw pistool door kort geding, www.volkskrant.nl (Dutch)". 2011-03-04. Retrieved 2011-03-04.
- "'Corrupte agent speelde rol bij koop dienstwapen', www.volkskrant.nl (Dutch)". 2011-03-23. Retrieved 2011-03-23.
- "'Meer kogels en geschikt voor grote en kleine handen', www.windesheim.nl (Dutch)". 2011-03-28. Retrieved 2011-09-29.
- "'Procedure politiepistool niet gemanipuleerd', www.volkskrant.nl (Dutch)". 2011-03-28. Retrieved 2011-03-28.
- "Court decision LJN: BP9335, Rechtbank 's-Gravenhage , 387099 / KG ZA 11-158 en 387180 / KG ZA 11-163, www.rechtspraak.nl (Dutch)". 2011-03-28. Retrieved 2011-03-28.
- "Opstelten besluit overeenkomst SIG-Sauer over nieuw politiepistool te beëindigen (press release), www.rijksoverheid.nl (Dutch)". 2011-11-08. Retrieved 2011-11-08.
- "Ontbinding overeenkomst aanschaf nieuw dienstpistool politie (letter to the Dutch parliament), www.rijksoverheid.nl (Dutch)". 2011-11-08. Retrieved 2011-11-08.
- "Nieuw politiepistool afgekeurd, www.rijksoverheid.nl (Dutch)". 2011-11-09. Retrieved 2011-11-09.
- SIG SAUER, INC. SECURES A MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR PISTOL CONTRACT FOR THE FEDERAL AIR MARSHAL SERVICE
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to SIG Sauer P250.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to SIG P250 DCc.|
- Official website P250 page
- Modern Firearms SIG-Sauer P250 DCc Pistol
- SIG P250 awarded Tactical Handgun of the Year
- SIG P250 9mm 2SUM Semi-Auto Pistol Package