||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (December 2013)|
|Chancellor||Professor Cham Tao Soon|
|President||Professor Cheong Hee Kiat|
|Affiliations||International Association of Universities|
SIM University (Abbreviation: UniSIM; Chinese: 新跃大学; Malay: Universiti SIM; Tamil: சிம் பல்கலைக்கழகம்) is the only private university in Singapore and is highly funded by the government. Established in 2005, the university is started as a result of the Singapore Government mandate to set up a university for working adults. In 2012, UniSIM was granted National University status and became the republic's 6th local university. The university currently admits only part-time students but will begin to offer full-time publicly funded university places starting 2014. In October 2013, it is announced that SIM University has been selected to house Singapore's third law school. Though a private university, eligible students are able to enjoy government tuition fee subsidy, government loans and bursaries for their undergraduate education. The university is managed separately from the SIM Global Education arm of the Singapore Institute of Management Group.
As of 2014[update] the patron of the university was Tony Tan Keng Yam, President of Singapore. The Chancellor of the university is Professor Cham Tao Soon, who was the founding president of Nanyang Technological University (NTU). The Founding President of SIM University is Professor Cheong Hee Kiat, former deputy president of NTU.
- 1 Milestones
- 1.1 Year 2005: Establishment
- 1.2 Year 2006: First Student Intake
- 1.3 Year 2008: Government Subsidy
- 1.4 Year 2011: Enhanced Government Subsidy
- 1.5 Year 2012
- 1.6 Year 2013
- 2 Academic schools
- 3 Admissions
- 4 Offices
- 4.1 Office of the President
- 4.2 Office of the Provost
- 4.3 Office of the Registrar
- 4.4 Office of the Vice-President (Learning Services)
- 4.5 UniSIM College
- 4.6 Corporate Office
- 4.7 Office of Academic Services
- 4.8 Office of Admissions
- 4.9 Office of Graduate Studies
- 4.10 Office of Student & Alumni Relations
- 4.11 Campus IT Services Division
- 5 Centres
- 6 Industry Collaborations
- 7 Campus
- 8 Campus Development
- 9 See also
- 10 References
- 11 External links
Year 2005: Establishment
Singapore Institute of Management received Ministry of Education (MOE) mandate to start a private university for working adults. SIM University (UniSIM), the first and only university in Singapore dedicated to adult learners, was established. The university will be housed at the SIM Headquarters, the largest and most comprehensive campus among Singapore's private education industry.
Year 2006: First Student Intake
UniSIM commenced classes officially with the first student intake in January.
Year 2008: Government Subsidy
The Singapore Government announced a government tuition fee subsidy of up to 40% of tuition fees to eligible UniSIM undergraduates. The government tuition fee subsidy will be granted to eligible Singapore Citizens and Permanent Residents (PR).
Year 2011: Enhanced Government Subsidy
The Government tuition fee subsidy was increased up to 55% of tuition fees.
Local University Status
Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, in the National Day Rally 2012, announced that Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT) and SIM University (UniSIM) will become the republic's 5th and 6th universities. Both institutions will participate in the Government’s plan to increase the number of publicly funded full-time university places.
Extension of Financial Aid
The government bursaries and loans, which are currently only available to full-time students in the autonomous universities, will be extended to UniSIM’s part-time students.
Setting up of Third Law School
Announcement of publicly funded Full-time programmes
UniSIM, together with SIT, will launch full-time publicly funded degree programmes in 2014. New programmes offered by both universities will take on the new 'Applied Degree' pathway which will heavily emphasize practice-oriented teaching. UniSIM will first offer programmes in Accountancy, Finance and Marketing.
SIM University currently offers more than 50 academic programmes through four academic schools.
School of Arts & Social Sciences
The School offers a diverse range of programmes in Languages and Literatures, Social Sciences and Translation. It also offers Certification Examinations for Professional Interpreters. The school also offers the first and only Translation & Interpretation bachelor's degree programme in Singapore.
School of Business
The School offers a diverse range of Business and Management programmes. It also offers the first Master of Taxation programme in Singapore in collaboration with the Tax Academy of Singapore.
The School of Business has the largest enrolment of students in the university.
School of Human Development & Social Services
The School offers a range of programmes in Counselling, Early Childhood Education, Human Resource Management and Social Work. It offers Singapore's first counselling degree programmes at the undergraduate and postgraduate level, first early childhood bachelor's degree as well as the first Gerontology programme at the postgraduate level.
School of Science & Technology
The School offers a range of programmes in Aerospace & Aviation, Building, Engineering, Military Studies and Technology. It also offers an industrial PhD programme.
A candidate applying to SIM University must either be a Singapore Citizen, Permanent Resident or a resident in Singapore. In addition, the candidate must meet the relevant entry requirements.
Office of the President
The Office of the President provides the overall leadership to the operations of the university.
Office of the Provost
The Office of the Provost formulates, implements and reviews academic policies and programmes. The Office also oversees the activities and initiatives of the four academic schools as well as the UniSIM College, Office of Graduate Studies and the Centre for Applied Research.
Office of the Registrar
The Office of the Registrar formulates, implements and reviews administrative policies, processes and procedures. The Office provides effective and efficient support services through the Offices of Admission, Academic Services and Student & Alumni Relations.
Office of the Vice-President (Learning Services)
The Office of the Vice-President (Learning Services) develops, implements and reviews the effectiveness of teaching and learning support services. The cluster consists of the Educational Technology & Production Department and Teaching & Learning Centre.
The UniSIM College (UC) is a new unit set up for the development of curricula and programmes for SIM University's full-time programmes. UC seeks to develop self-directed learners and job-ready graduates for the ever-changing and increasingly globalised work environment by offering applied, practice-oriented programmes that include a Professional Major and several Major-Minor combinations.
 The Corporate Office consists of the following departments:
- Communications Department
- Organisation Development Department
- Planning & Finance Department
- Quality Assurance Unit
Office of Academic Services
The Office of Academic Services provides academic-related services to the faculty, associates and students in the areas of student records, curriculum administration, course materials management, assignment and examinations, class scheduling, and appointment of associate faculty. The Office consists of the following departments:
- Associates Administration Department
- Curriculum Administration Department
- Examination Administration Department
- Logistics and Scheduling Department
- Student Records Department
Office of Admissions
The Office of Admissions administers matters pertaining to the promotion of the UniSIM's undergraduate programmes, student recruitment activities, admission of new students and management of the student awards scheme including scholarships, sponsorships and study grants. The Office consists of two departments:
- Student Recruitment Department
- Student Admissions Department
Office of Graduate Studies
 The Office of Graduate Studies currently supports ten postgraduate programmes:
- Doctor of Philosophy
- PhD Chinese Language and Literature
- MA Chinese Language and Literature
- Master of Community Leadership and Social Development
- Master of Counselling
- Master of Engineering
- Master of Human Capital Management
- Master of Taxation
- Graduate Diploma and Master of Gerontology
- Graduate Diploma and Master of Social Work
Office of Student & Alumni Relations
The Office of Student and Alumni Relations acts as a "bridge" between UniSIM students, alumni and schools/administrative departments by serving as the first point of contact for students and alumni, and enhancing the overall student support and services and relationship-building with its alumni. The Office consists of two departments:
- Alumni Relations Department
- Student Support Department
Campus IT Services Division
The Campus IT Services Division (CITS) provides in-house application development services and maintain UniSIM's growing IT infrastructure. The division consists of two departments:
- Application Development Department
- IT Operation Department
Centre for Applied Research
The Centre for Applied Research (CFAR) undertakes, administers and facilitates research and related activities. It also serves as an incubation centre for research programmes and projects. CFAR, being UniSIM’s knowledge hub, maintains a repository of the knowledge output of all faculty, staff and students.
The research focus is primarily on applied work with industry relevance. This is in line with its aim to contribute to the society in a tangible manner. In the same spirit, CFAR undertakes collaborative research with industry partners and public institutions on various issues of direct interest to the business community and to the society at large.
CFAR also actively promotes and undertakes case writing for the purpose of deployment in UniSIM’s graduate and undergraduate programmes to ensure that as a tertiary institution we continue to offer holistic academic programmes with a good balance between academics and practice.
The Centre, headed by the Director of Research and assisted by highly trained research associates, also runs a seminar series to showcase the research output of UniSIM.
UniSIM Centre for Chinese Studies 新跃中华学术中心
The UniSIM Centre for Chinese Studies (UCCS) aims to raise awareness and understanding of the Chinese language, culture and contemporary Chinese society among Singaporeans through the University’s programmes, courses, research, publications, events/activities and external relations. The Centre serves as SIM University’s one-stop resource centre to monitor trends and developments in the wider Chinese-speaking world to aid in making necessary adjustments in curriculum development and academic activities, provide a channel for the general public to enhance their understanding of the Chinese language and culture, and contemporary Chinese society, and provide a common platform for interaction in these areas among UniSIM’s staff, associates, students and alumni, the general public and the international community.
The university currently has the following industry-linked academic programmes:
School of Arts & Social Sciences
- UniSIM - Singapore Centre for Chinese Language (SCCL) Partnership - Bachelor of Chinese Language Education
School of Business
- UniSIM - Partnership with 5 Accounting Firms (KPMG, Don Ho & Associates, Foo Kon Tan Grant Thornton, Nexus Public Accounting Corporation, RSM Chio Lim) - Bachelor of Accountancy
- UniSIM - Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts (NAFA) Partnership - BA Visual Communication with Business
- UniSIM - Singapore Police Force (SPF) Partnership - BSc Management & Security Studies
- UniSIM - Sift Analytics Group Partnership - BSc Business Analytics
- UniSIM - Singapore Logistics Association (SLA) Partnership - BSc Logistics & Supply Chain Management
- UniSIM - Financial Planning Association of Singapore (FPAS) Partnership - Bsc Finance
- UniSIM - Tax Academy of Singapore (TA) Partnership - Master of Taxation
School of Human Development & Social Services
- UniSIM - Singapore Workforce Development Agency (WDA) Professional Conversion Programme - Bachelor of Social Work
- UniSIM - SEED Institute Partnership - Bachelor of Early Childhood Education with Management
- UniSIM - Singapore Centre for Chinese Language (SCCL) Partnership - Bachelor of Early Childhood and Chinese Language Education
- UniSIM - Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) Counselling Centre Partnership - Bachelor of Counselling
- UniSIM - Singapore Accredited Estate Agencies Ltd (SAEA) Partnership - General Studies Programme
- UniSIM - People's Association (PA) Partnership - Master of Community Leadership and Social Development
School of Science & Technology
- UniSIM - Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) Partnership
- UniSIM - Singapore Polytechnic (SP) - Building and Construction Authority (BCA) Academy Partnership - BSc Facilities and Events Management
- UniSIM - Construction Industry Joint Committee (CIJC) - Building and Construction Authority (BCA) Academy Partnership - Bachelor of Building and Project Management
- UniSIM - ST Aerospace Partnership - Aviation Degree Programmes
- UniSIM - Pico Art Partnership - BSc Facilities and Events Management
SIM University has agreements with established organisations to co-develop programmes, courses and activities as well as the sharing of expertise between both parties. Some of these organisations will provide industrial attachments to students as well as offer job opportunities to graduating students. UniSIM will receive extensive support from different organisations in the form of provision of strategic plans, programme feedback, scholarships and sponsorships for students, provision of infrastructure, case studies development for programmes as well as networking opportunities. UniSIM will also provide sponsorships of programmes to selected affiliated members of certain organisations. The following organisations have agreements with the university:
- Building and Construction Authority (BCA)
- Business China
- Construction Industry Joint Committee (CIJC)
- Council for Third Age
- Creative Media Academy (CMA)
- Don Ho & Associates
- Financial Planning Association of Singapore (FPAS)
- Foo Kon Tan Grant Thornton
- Land Transport Authority (LTA)
- MAJ Aviation
- Ministry of Defence (MINDEF) Defence Psychology Department
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) Diplomatic Academy
- Motorola Solutions
- National Council of Social Service (NCSS)
- National Kidney Foundation (NKF)
- National Trades Union Congress (NTUC)
- Nexia Public Accounting Corporation
- Ong Teng Cheong Labour Leadership Institute (OTCLLi)
- People's Association (PA)
- Playware Studios Asia (PWS)
- Pico Art International
- Raffles Dental, Raffles Medical Group
- Red Hat
- Republic of Singapore Air Force (RSAF)
- RSM Chio Lim
- Science Centre Board (SCB)
- Singapore Armed Forces
- Singapore Association for Counselling (SAC)
- Singapore Association of Social Workers (SASW)
- Singapore Computer Society (SCS)
- Singapore Federation of Chinese Clan Associations (SFCCA)
- Singapore Film Society (SFS)
- Singapore Logistics Association (SLA)
- Singapore Police Force (SPF)
- Singapore Table Tennis Association (STTA)
- Singapore Teachers' Union (STU)
- Singapore Workforce Development Agency (WDA)
- Sift Analytics Group
- SPRING Singapore
- ST Aerospace
- ST Electronics Large-Scale Systems Group
- ST Electronics Info-Comm Systems
- ST Kinetics
- ST Medical Services (STMS)
- Tax Academy of Singapore
- Thatz International
- The Institution of Engineers, Singapore (IES)
- Transition Systems Asia
SIM University is housed in SIM Headquarters, a big modern sprawling campus along Clementi Road that it shares together with SIM Global Education (SIM GE). The SIM Headquarters is the largest and most comprehensive campus among Singapore's private education industry.
As at 2013, some of the facilities in SIM Headquarters include:
- 67 Lecture Theatres of various sizes
- 68 Seminar Rooms (classrooms) of various sizes
- 27 Computer/Science Laboratories
- 5 Multi-Purpose Halls
- Tay Eng Soon Library
- 4 Eating Outlets (Food Court, MegaBites Cafe, Food Fest Cafe and Souperlicious SIM HQ outlet)
- Popular Bookstore (SIM HQ outlet)
- Student Activity Hub
- Students' Lounge
- Childcare Centre
- 247-room Hostel (For SIM GE students only)
- Basement Carpark
- Completely WiFi-enabled
SIM announced a Campus Development Master Plan to expand its Clementi campus at a platform topping up ceremony on 9 October 2009. The ceremony was officiated by then President S. R. Nathan and Mrs Nathan.
The Master Plan, which cost $300 million and is expected to be completed by 2014, comprises two phases. Upon full completion, it will render an additional 63,000 square metres of space, more than double its current campus, thus consolidating its position as the largest private tertiary institution in Singapore, both in terms of total campus size and student enrolment.
Phase 1, a 30,000 sq m Annex Building adjacent to the existing SIM HQ Building, was completed in December 2010. It was officially launched by President Tony Tan Keng Yam on 16 March 2012.
Phase 2 construction commenced in February 2012 and is expected to be completed by 2014.
The expanded campus will cater primarily to the growing needs of SIM University. UniSIM has seen a substantial jump in its enrolment. It now has over 13,000 students, compared to 8,000 in 2007. This number is expected to grow to 14,000 by 2015 as the university introduces full-time publicly funded degree programmes.
SIM’s plan to increase its campus size is thus made to cater to existing needs as well as in anticipation of the steady growth in its student population as it looks forward to playing a greater role as an Institute of Higher Learning (IHL).
Upon Phase 2 completion in 2014, these new facilities will be added to the SIM HQ / UniSIM campus:
- 9-storey Building
- 8-storey Building
- 4-storey Multi-Purpose Block
- 2 Basement Carparks
- 56 Seminar Rooms
- 22 Specialised Laboratories
- 2 Computer Laboratories
- 1 Trading Training Room
- 458-seater Performing Arts Theatre
- Multi-Purpose Sports Hall
- 2 Rooftop Tennis Courts
- 1 Eating Outlet
- Heritage Gallery
- National University of Singapore
- Nanyang Technological University
- Singapore Management University
- Singapore University of Technology and Design
- Singapore Institute of Technology
- List of universities in Singapore
- SIM University Annual Report 2013 | http://www.unisim.edu.sg/microsites/AnnualReport/SIM_University_AR2013p.pdf
- Sharon See (26 August 2012). "Singapore to have two more universities". Channel News Asia. Retrieved 28 August 2012.
- "More full-time places for applied degrees SIT, UniSIM to be fifth and sixth universities". Today Online. 27 August 2012. Retrieved 28 August 2012.
- Sharon See (16 October 2013). "UniSIM to host Singapore's third law school". Channel News Asia. Retrieved 19 October 2013.
- "Singapore's third law school to open at UniSIM". Today Online. 16 October 2013. Retrieved 19 October 2013.
- SIM University Tuition Fee and Subsidy | http://www.unisim.edu.sg/admissions/Undergraduate-Admissions/Pages/Tuition-Fee-and-Subsidy.aspx
- SIM University Financial Aid | http://www.unisim.edu.sg/admissions/Undergraduate-Admissions/FinancialAid/Pages/default.aspx
- "Greater Diversity, More Opportunities in Singapore's University Sector". Ministry of Education Press Releases. 28 August 2012.
- Education Minister Speech at UniSIM Convocation 2013 | http://www.moe.gov.sg/media/speeches/2013/10/16/speech-by-mr-heng-swee-keat-at-the-first-session-of-the-sim-university-convocation-ceremony.php
- "UniSIM, SIT to launch full-time degree programmes". Today Online. 17 October 2013. Retrieved 19 October 2013.
- UniSIM College | http://www.unisim.edu.sg/about-unisim/Pages/UniSIMCollege.aspx
- Corporate office | http://www.unisim.edu.sg/about-unisim/Administration/Pages/Corporate-Office.aspx
- Office of Academic Services | http://www.unisim.edu.sg/about-unisim/Administration/Pages/Office-Academic-Services.aspx
- Office of Admissions | http://www.unisim.edu.sg/about-unisim/Administration/Pages/Office-Admissions.aspx
- Graduate Studies | http://www.unisim.edu.sg/programmes/Pages/Graduate-Studies-Overview.aspx
- Office of Student & Alumni Relations | http://www.unisim.edu.sg/about-unisim/Administration/Pages/Office-Student-Alumni.aspx
- Campus IT Services | http://www.unisim.edu.sg/about-unisim/Administration/Pages/Campus-IT-Services.aspx
- Centre for Applied Research | http://www.unisim.edu.sg/about-unisim/Centres/Pages/CFAR.aspx
- UniSIM Research | http://www.unisim.edu.sg/resources/Pages/Research.aspx
- UniSIM Centre for Chinese Studies | http://www.unisim.edu.sg/about-unisim/Centres/UCCS/Pages/default.aspx
- UniSIM launches Centre for Chinese Studies | http://www1.sim.edu.sg/sim/pub/int/jan12/i_corporate.html#co1
- Industry Partners | http://www.unisim.edu.sg/Collaborations/Partners/Pages/Industry-Partners.aspx
- SIM University
- UniSIM College
- Singapore Institute of Management
- SIM Campus Development
- UniSIM 2014 Tuition Fees by Programme
- UniSIM 2014 Tuition Fees by Credit Unit
- UniSIM Government Subsidy FAQs
- SIM 50th Anniversary website