The Search for International Terrorist Entities (SITE) Intelligence Group is an organization that tracks the online activity of terrorist organizations. The SITE Institute was founded in 2002 by Rita Katz and Josh Devon, who had left the Investigative Project (a private Islamist-terrorist tracking group). In early 2008 it ceased its operations, and some of its staff formed the SITE Intelligence Group, a for-profit entity, to continue some of its activities.
- July 4, 2007: A video by Ayman al-Zawahiri was obtained by SITE "ahead of its release on the internet by militant web sites". It was "first reported by IntelCenter and SITE, two U.S.-based groups that monitor militant messages". The video had been "provided by al-Qaeda's as-Sahab Media to IntelCenter".
- Sept. 7, 2007: SITE obtained a 30-minute video of Osama bin Laden and provided it to Associated Press. bin Laden's image is "frozen" for all but 3½ minutes of the tape. SITE "beat al-Qaeda by nearly a full day with the release of the ... video". The US government later pronounced the video authentic. See also: 2007 Osama bin Laden video.
- May 3, 2011: The organization translated a lengthy statement signed by al-Qaeda's General Command that confirmed Osama bin Laden's death and promised retaliation for that death.
- Smith, Craig S. "Islamists Bring Fight to Capital of Algeria",The New York Times. April 11, 2007.
- Benjamin Wallace-Wells, "Private Jihad: How Rita Katz got into the spying business", The New Yorker, May 29, 2006.
- SITE Institute web site
- Ross, Brian "New Video From Al Qaeda No. 2" (caption to video still), ABC News online, July 4, 2007.
- Print version of ABC article[dead link]
- Agence France Presse,"Al-Qaeda number two slams Hamas for seeking negotiations", July 4, 2007 (subscription required).
- Associated Press, "New Usama Bin Laden Video Urges Americans to Convert to Islam", Fox News, Sept. 8, 2007.
- Joby Warrick, "Bin Laden, Brought to You by ...", Washington Post, Sept. 12, 2007, p.A01.
- Al Qaeda Confirms Bin Laden’s Death New York Times May, 3 2011
- SITE Intelligence Group
- New Yorker Magazine 2006 Profile of the SITE Institute
- New York Times 2004 Profile of the SITE Institute
- MSNBC story featuring Rita Katz
- Katz By Rahel Musleah
- News item about SITE involvement in defamation of Muslim charities
- "Keeping an Eye on Al Qaeda": Newsweek interview with Rita Katz, Sept. 11, 2007, dealing with the Sept. 7, 2007 "Bin Laden" video, etc
|This article related to a non-profit organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|