SKDKnickerbocker is a public relations and political consulting firm. It has offices in Washington, DC, New York City, and Albany, NY. The firm employs notable figures like former Obama White House Communications Director Anita Dunn and former recording industry lobbyist Hilary Rosen.
The firm was formed in 2004 when Squier Knapp Dunn Communications and Knickerbocker Consulting merged. In 2010, they took the name SKDKnickerbocker to "formalize the merger."
In 2011, the firm was hired to coordinate a lobbying campaign called "WIN America" calling for hundreds of billions in tax breaks on corporate profits made overseas. The firm was paid by Kaplan University to lobby against regulation of the for-profit education industry.
Political consulting and communications
SKDKnickerbocker provides political consulting services to political candidates, campaigns, and issue advocacy groups. SKDKnickerbocker describes itself as a full-service public relations practice that offers crisis communications, branding, marketing, media training, digital/social media advice and message development.
Allegations of lobbying
The firm is reported to benefit from access to the Obama White House. An April 2012 article quoted an unnamed senior Democrat: "It’s an open secret in the Dem consultant community that SKD has been signing up clients based on ‘perceived White House access’ tied to prior relationships and employment." The firm however does not meet the standard, legal definition of lobbying and is not registered to lobby the federal government.
- SKDKnickerbocker About Us | SKDKnickerbocker
- POLITICO - 10 things about Hilary Rosen
- The Nation "The Real Hilary Rosen Scandal: Does Her Firm Sell Access To The White House To Powerful Corporations?
- New York Post - "Knickerbocker Consulting Firm to Become SKDKnickerbocker"
- Capital New York - Between Christine Quinn and Hilary Rosen, Unusual Loud Week for quiet SKDKnickerbocker
- "Factor Investigation: Ex-Obama Official Running Sandra Fluke - Bill O'Reilly - Fox Nation". Fox News. 2012-03-08.
- Business Week -
- NYTimes With Lobbying Blitz, For-Profit Colleges Diluted New Rules
- "SKDKnickerbocker Political Consulting".
- "SKDKnickerbocker Strategic Communications".
- National Review "Hilary Rosen, Frequent White House Visitor"
- The Nation - The Real Hilary Rosen Scandal
- AB - Does Hilary Rosen's not-lobbying firm sell White House access to corporations?
- Republic Report - "The Real Hilary Rosen Scandal"
- Open Secrets