SK Hand Tools
|Subsidiary of Ideal Industries|
|Founded||Chicago, IL (1921)|
|Products||Professional hand tools|
|Slogan||Being a Pro Matters.|
S-K Hand Tools is a tool company located in Sycamore, Illinois. Major products include sockets and drive tools, wrenches, air tools, and other mechanics' tools. The company has a tool line of over 3,500 items including wrenches, ratchets, screwdrivers, tool boxes and air tools. It has manufacturing facilities in Sycamore, Illinois. Outlets for their products include independent tool-truck dealers, auto parts stores, and major internet vendors such as Sears and Amazon.com.
SK was founded as the Sherman-Klove Company, specializing in screw-machine products, by Mason H. Sherman and Noah Grover Klove. The company was founded in the early 1900s to supply munitions in WWI, and made mortar housings in a screw machine plant on Harrison Street in Chicago. During the 1920s SK operated primarily as a contract company, making tools for other brands (including Craftsman). Business thrived, they made specialty screw machine products that did well until the depression. William S. Sherman (W.S.), Mason's son, came to SK after graduating college in 1927 and was eventually a major owner of the company. One of the products the company made was socket wrenches for Hinsdale Socket and Wrench Company. The Hinsdale Company went out of business during the great depression leaving Sherman-Klove with a large inventory of this product, they then redesigned the product and changed the company name to S-K Tools.
Theodore Rueb, an engineer for the Sherman-Klove Company, went on to developed a new mechanism for a very successful line of ratchets, scaled from 1/4-drive up to 3/4-drive. The "round-head" ratchet has remained one of the most popular ratchet styles in the seven decades since S-K's first development, and many modern ratchets are little changed from the earliest design. SK invented the round-head ratchet wrench in 1933 and received a patent for it the following year, which remains a mainstay of their, and every major competitor's product line today.
- SK Hand Tools. "About". Retrieved 2014-01-16.
- Leno, Jay (2011-10-13). "Jay Leno on the Rebirth of Classic American Auto Parts Brands". Popular Mechanics. Retrieved 2014-01-16.
- "Sherman-Klove and S-K Tools". Alloy Artifacts. Retrieved 2014-01-16.
- US patent 1981526, Theodore O. Rueb, "Ratchet Wrench", issued 1934-11-20
- Deutsch, Stuart (2010-06-29). "SK Hand Tools Declares Bankruptcy!!". ToolGuyd. Retrieved 2014-03-24.
- Yue, Lorene (2010-08-23). "SK Hand Tool assets sold to Ideal Industries". Chicago Business. Retrieved 2010-10-06.
- "IDEAL Acquires Premier Tool Manufacturer SK Hand Tools" (Press release). Ideal Industries. 2010-08-23. Retrieved 2010-10-06.