Second Level Address Translation
||This article needs attention from an expert on the subject.|
Second Level Address Translation (SLAT) is a hardware-assisted virtualization technology. Intel's brand of SLAT, known as Extended Page Table (EPT) was introduced in the Nehalem microarchitecture found in certain Core i7, Core i5, and Core i3 processors. AMD, supports SLAT through their Rapid Virtualization Indexing (RVI) technology since the introduction of their third generation Opteron processors (code name Barcelona).
Extended Page Tables
Extended Page Tables (EPT) is an Intel second generation x86 virtualization technology for the memory management unit (MMU). EPT support is found in Intel's Core i3, Core i5 and Core i7 CPUs, among others.
Rapid Virtualization Indexing
Rapid Virtualization Indexing (RVI), known as Nested Page Tables during its development, is an AMD second generation hardware-assisted virtualization technology for the processor memory management unit (MMU).
A VMware research paper found that RVI offers up to 42% gains in performance compared with software-only (shadow page table) implementation. Tests conducted by Red Hat showed a doubling in performance for OLTP benchmarks.
Support in software
The following hypervisors support SLAT:
- Hyper-V for Windows Server 2008 R2 and later
- KVM 2.6.26 and later
- VirtualBox 2.0.0 and later
- VMware ESX 3.5 and later
- Xen 3.2.0 and later
- "Rapid Virtualization Indexing with Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V | The Virtualization Blog". Blogs.amd.com. 2009-03-23. Retrieved 2010-05-16.
- "Performance Evaluation of AMD RVI Hardware Assist" (PDF). Retrieved 2010-05-16.
- "Red Hat Magazine | Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.1 utilizes nested paging on AMD Barcelona Processor to improve performance of virtualized guests". Magazine.redhat.com. 2007-11-20. Retrieved 2010-05-16.
- "VMware engineer praises AMD's Nested Page Tables". Searchservervirtualization.techtarget.com. 2008-07-21. Retrieved 2010-05-16.
- "AMD-V Rapid Virtualization Indexing and Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V Second Level Address Translation". Doing IT Virtual. Retrieved 2010-05-16.
- "Kernel Newbies: Linux 2 6 26".
- "Changelog for VirtualBox 2.0".
- "Benchmarks: Xen 3.2.0 on AMD Quad-Core Opteron with RVI". 2008-06-15. Retrieved 2011-05-13.
- "bhyve - BSD Hypervisor". Retrieved 2013-11-13.
- Method and system for a second level address translation in a virtual machine environment (patent)
- Second Level Address Translation Benefits in Hyper-V R2
- Performance Evaluation of Intel EPT Hardware Assist
- AMD Processors with Rapid Virtualization Indexing Required to Run Hyper-V in Windows 8
|This computer hardware article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|