|Traded as||NASDAQ: SMTP|
|Industry||Email Service Provider|
|Headquarters||One Broadway, 14th Floor., Cambridge Massachusetts, USA|
|Key people||Semyon Dukach (Chairman), Matt Mankins (Founder), Jonathan M. Strimling (CEO), Ruslan Bondarev (CTO)|
SMTP, Inc. is a provider of transactional and email marketing email delivery services based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States.
SMTP, Inc. is a cloud service provider that specializes in sending outgoing email for large volume senders. In this regard SMTP is more akin to a technology service provider such as Amazon.com or Rackspace than email marketing company like Constant Contact. SMTP also offers related services such as tracking and reporting, reputation management, statistical analysis and expert support.
SMTP also provides tools for checking a domain’s DKIM records in DNS as well as for checking forward-confirmed reverse DNS (FCdDNS) for an IP.
The SMTP email delivery service requires that the emails are generated locally from a locally-kept emailing list.
The company was founded as EMUmail Inc. in 1998 by Matt Mankins. Three years later Mankins sold EMUmail to the software development company AccuRev. About a year later, former AccuRev CEO and EMUmail board member Semyon Dukach bought EMUmail.
In 2005, Lux Scientiae bought the EMUmail outsourcing services business, leaving the SMTP.com email delivery service as the company’s core offering.
The company changed its name to SMTP, Inc. in November 2010. SMTP filed an Initial Public Offering (IPO) and began trading on the OTC Bulletin Board as (OTCBB: SMTP) on May 2, 2011, and then on the Nasdaq Capital Market on January 31st, 2014 .
- Kris Tuttle, “SMTP, Inc.: Here Come Email Delivery Networks” , Research 2.0, May 3, 2011.
- Linda Musthaler, “5 best practices to improve your email delivery success rate.” Network World. April 1, 2011.
- Direct Marketing News. “Should brands outsource all data storage?” May 1, 2001.
- Jordie van Rijn, "SMTP.com gets new datacenter, ditches Rackspace", Email Vendor Selection, July 12, 2011.
- ISP Planet Webmail Directory. “Webmail Directory: EMUmail.” 2004.
- R. Troost, S. Dorner, “Communicating Presentation Information in Internet Messages: The Content-Disposition Header Field.” Network Working Group Request for Comment 2183. 1997.
- CBS Business Net. “LuxSci Acquires Email Outsourcing Business from EMUmail". Market Wire. 2005.
- Gregory T. Huang. “Semyon Dukach Takes SMTP Public" . Xconomy Boston. May 2, 2011.
- Yahoo! Finance. "SMTP Acquires Innovative Email Testing and Analytics Business" GlobeNewswire. January 10, 2013.
- SMTP SEC Form 8-K. "Entry into a Material Definitive Agreement" SEC EDGAR System, January 10, 2013.
- SMTP SEC Form 8-K. "Appointment of Officers" SEC EDGAR System, August 15, 2013.
- Company Press Release. "SMTP Appoints New CEO to Guide Next Phase of Growth" GlobeNewswire, August 15, 2013.