SNCAC NC 1080
|Role||Single seater monoplane|
|Manufacturer||SNCAC (Société Nationale de Constructions Aéronautiques du Centre)|
|First flight||29 July 1949|
The SNCAC NC.1080 was a prototype single-seat carrier-based fighter aircraft first flown on 29 July 1949. Development was discontinued following an unexplained accident on 10 April 1950, and the contest, for which the design was intended, was eventually rendered moot when the Aéronavale adopted the de Havilland Sea Venom in 1952.
Design and development
The project was originally funded by SNCAC and directed by Ingenieur Pillon, the objective was to create a single-seat shipboard fighter, competing against the Arsenal VG 90 and the Nord 2200. On 29 July 1949, the aircraft had its first test flight and immediately issues were raised with the spoilers and tailplane controls. Meanwhile SNCAC had dispersed, but further tests of the aircraft were carried out independently at Bretigny and Villaroche. On 10 April 1950, during an air test flown by Pierre Gallay the plane crashed for unknown reasons and further development was immediately halted, the plane being destroyed beyond repair.
Data from The Complete Book of Fighters 
- Crew: 1
- Length: 12.87 m (42 ft 2⅝ in)
- Wingspan: 12.00 m (39 ft 4½ in)
- Height: 4.70 m (15 ft 5 in)
- Wing area: 28.4 m² (306 sq ft)
- Empty weight: 5,141 kg (11,334 lb)
- Loaded weight: 7,700 kg (16,975 lb)
- Powerplant: 1 × Rolls-Royce Nene turbojet, 22.3 kN (5,000 lbf)
- Maximum speed: 978 km/h (529 knots, 608 mph) at 5,000 m (29,500 ft)
- Range: 1,550 km (837 nmi, 963 mi)
- Rate of climb: 25 m/s (4,920 ft/min)
- Guns: 3× 30mm cannon (planned)
- Green and Swanborough 1994, p.11.
- "SNCAC NC-1080" (in French). www.aviafrance.com. Retrieved 2009-06-13.
- Green, W. & Swanborough, G. (1994). The Complete Book of Fighters. London: Salamander Books. ISBN 1-85833-777-1
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to SNCAC NC 1080.|
- History of the plane and advanced specifications (Russian) Translated version
- Plane specifications (French) Translated version