SNCF TGV Iris 320
Iris 320 is a modified TGV train operated by SNCF International as a dedicated track recording train for high-speed railways. The train can run at 320 kilometres-per-hour and consists of two power cars and eight trailer coaches, providing a 160-metre long laboratory. It was converted from former SNCF TGV Réseau passenger train number 4530.
The train primarily monitors the whole of the French high-speed LGV network every 15 days. In addition it surveys other main lines in France operating at above 160 km/h and the HSL 1 high-speed line in Belgium for Infrabel.
Once every two months, Iris 320 takes a survey of the Channel Tunnel for Eurotunnel (since December 2010) and of High Speed 1 for Network Rail (CTRL) in the United Kingdom (since 4/5 May 2011). The cross-channel trips are diesel-hauled by Eurotunnel Class 0001 locomotives and undertaken at 100 km/h.
- Foeillet, Guillaume (2008-03-17). "The IRIS 320 High speed Measurement Train set". Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- University of Birmingham (2008-11-04). D4.4.1 – Rail Inspection Technologies (Report). Innotrack. p. 20. http://www.innotrack.net/IMG/pdf/d441.pdf. Retrieved 2011-06-07. "SNCF ... “IRIS 320” car that can achieve speeds up to 320 km/h. These inspections are performed every 15 days to detect visual surface defects over high speed lines as well as high standard main line (speed ≥ 160 km/h)."
- Milner, Chris (2011-06-02). "TGV in secret visit to UK". The Railway Magazine. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "United Kingdom: Track Geometry Checks". SNCF International. Retrieved 2011-06-07. "SNCF International … with Eurotunnel and .. Network-Rail (CTRL) are … carrying out Eurotunnel monitoring runs using the Iris 320 train and extending them as far as London St Pancras."
- Maintenance. "Inspecting the infrastructure at 100 km/h". Annual Report (Eurotunnel Group): 24. 2010. http://www.eurotunnelgroup.com/uploadedFiles/assets-uk/Shareholders-Investors/Publication/Annual-Review/RA2010-UK-GroupeEurotunnelSA.pdf. Retrieved 2011-06-07. "IRIS 320 measuring train … since December 2010, … inspecting the Channel Tunnel, pulled by a Eurotunnel diesel locomotive at 100 km/h … every two months"
Media related to Iris 320 at Wikimedia Commons
|This European rail transport related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|