|Products||Grocery stores, convenience stores, discount stores, hypermarkets and more|
|Revenue||€ 31.1 billion (2011)|
Spar is an international retail chain and franchise with approximately 12,500 stores in 35 countries worldwide. It was founded in the Netherlands in 1932 by retailer Adriaan van Well. Through its affiliate organisations, Spar operates through most European countries, parts of Africa, Asia and Oceania. It is headquartered in Amsterdam.
The name was originally DE SPAR, an acronym of the Dutch phrase Door Eendrachtig Samenwerken Profiteren Allen Regelmatig ("through united co-operation everyone regularly profits"). De Spar is Dutch for "The spruce", hence Spar's logo. As the organisation expanded across Europe, the name was abbreviated by dropping "DE".
- In Italy, the name is still Despar, though in keeping with the international branding, the "Spar" section of the logo is highlighted, and the larger stores are still called Eurospar and Interspar.
- In China the store operates under the name Hotspar, although the store logo colouring remains unchanged.
Spar was founded in 1932 in the Dutch city of Zoetermeer. In 1953 an International Spar office opened in Amsterdam to control and further develop the organisation throughout Europe and other continents. Most Spar stores are in Europe, but they can also be found in a few countries outside of Europe, such as Nigeria, South Africa, Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Swaziland, Australia, Mauritius, China, India, Japan and Vanuatu.
A Spar store may be owned independently, by a franchisee, or be part of a chain, depending on the model applied in any given country. The owners of the parent company vary from country to country and may include the store owners themselves. The name and the current logo was most recently revised in 1968 by Raymond Loewy and has remained unchanged ever since.
In the United Kingdom Spar has become known primarily as a convenience store, although in Northern Ireland Spar operates using the subformat Eurospar too. Spar opened in the Republic of Vanuatu on 1 December 2009 ending Au Bon Marché's grocery monopoly.
The Dutch Spar is a member of Superunie, a Dutch purchasing organization for supermarkets.
EuroSpar and SuperSpar The EuroSpar name is used for this format in Europe and SuperSpar in Africa and Denmark. These are mid-sized supermarkets. They are designed to fit in a niche between convenience stores and traditional supermarkets.
Spar Express (KwikSpar in Denmark and South Africa) This is the smallest store type. They are designed for small sites and service station forecourts.
Spar Gourmet Some small Spar stores in Austria are called Spar Gourmet since the Austrian Spar Group took over the supermarket chains Julius Meinl in 2000. The standard range is extended to local and global delicacies.
Not all of these brands or formats are used in every country.
International statistics (2011)
|Country||Sales (X1000)||No. of stores||Sales area (m²)||Sales per area||Average store
|Italy||€3,855,662||1,549||831,423||€4,637/m²||537||10 licence partners|
|United Kingdom||€3,189,273||2,504||357,860||€8,912/m²||143||5 owners|
|South Africa*||€4,628,469||806||874,810||€5,290/m²||1,085||The Spar Group Ltd.
|Belgium||€813,500||291||137,743||€5,905/m²||473||Colruyt and Lambrechts|
|Switzerland||€455,094||169||69,838||€6,516/m²||426||SPAR Handels AG|
|Botswana||€97,506||26||23,249||€4,193/m²||894||The Spar Group Ltd.|
|Namibia||€127,706||27||27,670||€4,615/m²||1,025||The Spar Group Ltd.|
* Including stores (4) in Swaziland.
- "SPAR Countries - SPAR". Spar-int.com. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- "Contact Information - SPAR". Spar-int.com. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- http://wotnews.com.au/like/spar_australia_opens_first_vanuatu_store_aus/4338574/[dead link]
- "SPAR". Raymond Loewy Foundation. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- [dead link]
- "SPAR to open 24 more hypermarkets in next two years". Sify.com. 2011-01-28. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- Boulder Brands CEO Stephen Hughes (2011-02-03). "Spar looks to expand Czech supermarket chain". Just-food.com. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- Northern Ireland Assembly Information Office. "Northern Ireland Assembly Committee for Social Development - Inquiry into Town Centre Regeneration Report: 14/09/10R". Archive.niassembly.gov.uk. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- derStandard.at (2008-02-24). "Chronologie: Von Konsum bis Rewe - Handel - derStandard.at " Wirtschaft". Derstandard.at. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- [dead link]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to SPAR.|
- Official website
- Spar Annual Report 2009
- Yahoo! – SPAR Handels-Aktiengesellschaft Company Profile (2,500+1,175+200 stores)
- Yahoo! – SPAR (UK) Limited Company Profile (2,600 stores)