SPDR funds are a family of exchange-traded funds (ETFs) traded in the United States, Europe, and Asia-Pacific and managed by State Street Global Advisors (SSgA). Informally, they are also known as Spyders or Spiders. SPDR is a trademark of Standard and Poor's Financial Services LLC, a subsidiary of McGraw Hill Financial.
The name is an acronym for the first member of the family, the Standard & Poor's Depositary Receipts, now the SPDR S&P 500 (NYSE: SPY), which is designed to track the S&P 500 stock market index. For a long time, this fund was the largest ETF in the world. SSgA also manage the SPDR Gold Shares, which for a while was the second-largest ETF in the world. As of August 2012, they are the first and second largest exchange-traded products in the world.
The funds are formulated as unit investment trusts. In 2007, SSgA rebranded its other United States ETFs as SPDRs, including the StreetTRACKS family and its other flagship ETF shares, the DOW DIAMONDS (NYSE: DIA), that tracks the Dow Jones Industrial Average. This move united all U.S. ETFs managed by SSgA, a total of 23 at that time, under a single brand. At the end of 2006, the total portfolio that became known as SPDRs had $102 billion of assets under management.
In 1998, SSgA and Merrill Lynch introduced the Sector Spiders, nine funds which follow the ten GICS sectors of the S&P 500. Because the S&P 500 contains only eight telecommunications companies, those companies are a part of the information technology SPDR (NYSE: XLK), and that one fund represents those two sectors.
SSgA also launched a number of index-based ETFs under the brand StreetTRACKS. These were renamed SPDRs in 2007.
SSgA also manages ETFs that are sold on exchanges outside the United States.
In Australia SSgA manages three SPDR branded ETFs. They are listed on the Australian Securities Exchange and are the following:
- S&P/ASX 50 Fund (50 top market cap stocks) SFY
- S&P/ASX 200 Fund (200 top market cap stocks) STW
- S&P/ASX 200 A-REIT Property Fund (200 Listed Property Fund) SLF
- Dow Jones Small Cap Value NYSE: DSV
- Dow Jones Small Cap ETF NYSE: DSC
- Dow Jones Small Cap Growth NYSE: DSG
- Dow Jones Mid Cap ETF NYSE: EMM
- Dow Jones Mid Cap Value ETF NYSE: EMV
- Dow Jones Mid Cap Growth ETF NYSE: EMG
- Dow Jones Large Cap Growth ETF NYSE: ELG
- Dow Jones Large Cap Value ETF NYSE: ELV
- Dow Jones Large Cap ETF NYSE: ELR
- Dow Jones Global Real Estate ETF NYSE: RWO
- Dow Jones Global Titans ETF NYSE: DGT
- Dow Jones International Real Estate ETF NYSE: RWX
- Dow Jones REIT ETF NYSE: RWR
- Dow Jones STOXX 50 ETF NYSE: FEU
- Dow Jones EURO STOXX 50 ETF NYSE: FEZ
- Dow Jones Total Market ETF NYSE: TMW - Tracks Wilshire 5000 Index
- Dow Diamonds NYSE: DIA - Tracks Dow Jones Industrial Average
- S&P 500 ETF NYSE: SPY - Tracks S&P 500 Index
- S&P Biotech ETF NYSE: XBI
- S&P BRIC 40 ETF NYSE: BIK
- S&P China ETF NYSE: GXC
- S&P Dividend ETF NYSE: SDY
- S&P Pharmaceuticals ETF NYSE: XPH
- S&P Retail ETF NYSE: XRT
- S&P Homebuilders ETF NYSE: XHB
- S&P Emerging Asia Pacific ETF NYSE: GMF
- S&P Emerging Europe ETF NYSE: GUR
- S&P Emerging Latin America ETF NYSE: GML
- S&P Emerging Middle East & Africa ETF NYSE: GAF
- S&P Emerging Markets ETF NYSE: GMM
- S&P Emerging Markets Small Cap ETF NYSE: EWX
- S&P MidCap 400 ETF NYSE: MDY
- S&P International Small Cap ETF NYSE: GWX
- S&P International Mid Cap ETF NYSE: MDD
- S&P International Consumer Discretionary Sector ETF NYSE: IPD
- S&P International Consumer Staples Sector ETF NYSE: IPS
- S&P International Dividend ETF NYSE: DWX
- S&P International Energy Sector ETF NYSE: IPW
- S&P International Financial Sector ETF NYSE: IPF
- S&P International Health Care Sector ETF NYSE: IRY
- S&P International Industrial Sector ETF NYSE: IPN
- S&P International Materials Sector ETF NYSE: IRV
- S&P International Technology Sector ETF NYSE: IPK
- S&P International Telecommunications Sector ETF NYSE: IST
- S&P International Utilities Sector ETF NYSE: IPU
- S&P Metals and Mining ETF NYSE: XME
- S&P Oil & Gas Equipment & Services ETF NYSE: XES
- S&P Oil & Gas Exploration & Production ETF NYSE: XOP
- S&P Semiconductor ETF NYSE: XSD
- S&P World ex-US ETF NYSE: GWL
- Barclays Capital 1-3 Month T-Bill ETF NYSE: BIL
- Barclays Capital Aggregate Bond ETF NYSE: LAG
- Barclays Capital Convertible Bond ETF NYSE: CWB
- Barclays Capital Municipal Bond ETF NYSE: TFI
- Barclays Capital New York Municipal Bond ETF NYSE: INY
- Barclays Capital California Municipal Bond ETF NYSE: CXA
- Barclays Capital Short Term Municipal Bond ETF NYSE: SHM
- Barclays Capital Short Term International Treasury Bond ETF NYSE: BWZ
- Barclays Capital High Yield Bond ETF NYSE: JNK
- Barclays Capital Intermediate Term Credit Bond ETF NYSE: ITR
- Barclays Capital Intermediate Term Treasury ETF NYSE: ITE
- Barclays Capital International Treasury Bond ETF NYSE: BWX
- Barclays Capital Long Term Credit Bond ETF NYSE: LWC
- Barclays Capital Long Term Treasury ETF NYSE: TLO
- Barclays Capital Mortgage Backed Bond ETF NYSE: MBG
- Barclays Capital TIPS ETF NYSE: IPE
- Consumer Discretionary Select Sector SPDR Fund NYSE: XLY
- Consumer Staples Select Sector SPDR Fund NYSE: XLP
- DB International Government Inflation-Protected Bond ETF NYSE: WIP
- Energy Select Sector SPDR Fund NYSE: XLE
- Financial Select Sector SPDR Fund NYSE: XLF
- FTSE/Macquarie Global Infrastructure 100 ETF NYSE: GII
- FTSE Greater China ETF (HKEx:3073)
- Gold Shares NYSE: GLD (HKEx: 2840) (SGX: O87)
- Health Care Select Sector SPDR Fund NYSE: XLV
- Industrial Select Sector SPDR Fund NYSE: XLI
- KBW Bank ETF NYSE: KBE
- KBW Capital Markets ETF NYSE: KCE
- KBW Mortgage Finance ETF NYSE: KME
- KBW Regional Banking ETF NYSE: KRE
- KBW Insurance ETF NYSE: KIE
- Materials Select Sector SPDR Fund NYSE: XLB
- Morgan Stanley Technology ETF NYSE: MTK
- MSCI ACWI ex-US ETF NYSE: CWI
- Russell/Nomura Small Cap Japan ETF NYSE: JSC
- Russell/Nomura PRIME Japan ETF NYSE: JPP
- Straits Times Index ETF (SGX: ES3)
- Technology Select SPDR Fund NYSE: XLK
- Utilities Select Sector SPDR Fund NYSE: XLU
- "Trademark search on SPDR". United States Patent and Trademark Office. Retrieved 11 January 2010.
- "Largest ETFs: Top 25 ETFs By Market Cap". ETFdb. Retrieved 2010-11-03.
- "Blackrock ETP Landscape Industry Highlights". BlackRock. Retrieved 2013-07-09.
- "Spyders widen web". TheStreet.com. 2007-01-08.
- Gastineau, Gary (2002). The Exchange-Traded Funds Manual. John Wiley and Sons. p. 35. ISBN 0-471-22092-2. Retrieved 2008-04-24.
- "About MidCap Spiders". American Stock Exchange. Retrieved 2008-04-24.
- Ferri, Richard A. (2008). The ETF Book, John Wiley and Sons, 191 ISBN 0-470-13063-6.
- Gastineau, Gary (2002). The Exchange-Traded Funds Manual. John Wiley and Sons. p. 37. ISBN 0-471-22092-2. Retrieved 2008-04-24.