SPRING Singapore

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
SPRING Singapore
SPRING Singapore logo.png
Logo of SPRING Singapore
Agency overview
Formed 1996
Preceding Agency Productivity and Standards Board (PSB)
Jurisdiction Government of Singapore
Headquarters 1 Fusionopolis Walk, #01-02 South Tower, Solaris Singapore 138 628
Agency executives Philip Yeo, Chairman
Tan Kai Hoe[1], Chief Executive Officer
Parent agency Ministry of Trade and Industry (Singapore)
Website www.spring.gov.sg

The Standards, Productivity and Innovation Board (Abbreviation: SPRING Singapore) is a statutory board under the Ministry of Trade and Industry of Singapore. It is the main agency for enterprise development, and it aims to enhance the competitiveness of enterprises to develop a strong base of dynamic and innovative Singapore enterprises. It is also the national standards and conformance body.

According to SPRING Singapore, the agency helps to nurture a pro-business environment, facilitate the growth of industries and enhance innovation and enterprise capabilities of small and medium enterprises for better access to markets and business opportunities.

History[edit]

Formerly known as Productivity and Standards Board (PSB), it was formed as a result of the merger between the National Productivity Board (NPB) and the Singapore Institute of Standards and Industrial Research (SISIR) in April 1996. The purpose is to bring together the soft skills of productivity handled by NPB and the technical aspects handled by SISIR.

In April 2002, it was renamed SPRING Singapore to signify the shift towards an innovation-driven economy, and its new role in promoting creativity to sustain growth for Singaporeans.[2]

Mission[edit]

As the national standards and conformance body, SPRING Singapore 'helps to lower technical barriers to trade, provide quality assurance for products and services and promote industry use of Singapore and international standards'.[3]

SPRING Singapore's mission is "to raise productivity so as to enhance Singapore's competitiveness and economic growth for a better quality of life for our people".

Organisational Structure[edit]

SPRING Singapore is headed by Philip Yeo, former head of A*STAR. The directors in the board of directors include:[4]

  • Piyush Gupta
  • Tan Kai Hoe
  • Mike Booker
  • Andrew Kwan
  • Stephen Lim Beng Lin
  • Lim Kok Kiang
  • Mak Keat Meng
  • COL Melvyn Ong Su Kiat
  • Viswa Sadasivan
  • Sim Giok Lak
  • Satvinder Singh
  • Saktiandi Supaat
  • Tan Choon Shian
  • Tan Siew Meng
  • BG (NS) Tan Yih San
  • Renny Yeo

Departments[edit]

SPRING Singapore is divided into five departments: Enterprise Capabilities, Enterprise Promotion, Industry Development, Quality & Standards and Corporate Development.[5]

Portfolio[edit]

The agency has three areas of focus: productivity and innovation; standards and quality; and small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) and the domestic sector.[6]

Scholarships[edit]

In 2008, SPRING Singapore awarded their first batch of Executive Development Scholarships (EDS) – targeting at both Junior College and University students who are keen to be their own boss or to develop the SME Industry following graduation.

The Management Development Scholarship (MDS) is also available to employees of SMEs who wish to pursue their Masters with a university on SPRING Singapore's list. Up to 90% of the course fees is subsidised by SPRING Singapore with the remaining 10% fully borne by the SME company. This scholarship comes with a bond of up to two years with the sponsoring SME company.

See also[edit]

References[edit]

  1. ^ "New chief executives appointed for JTC, SPRING Singapore". Channel NewsAsia. Retrieved 1 May 2013. 
  2. ^ Wee, Jane (29 May 2003). "SPRING Singapore (Standards, Productivity and Innovation Board)". National Library Board. Retrieved 30 March 2011. 
  3. ^ "SPRING – About SPRING Singapore". SPRING Singapore. Archived from the original on 8 January 2008. Retrieved 14 January 2008. 
  4. ^ "SPRING- Board of Directors". About Us. SPRING Singapore. Retrieved 2 May 2013. 
  5. ^ "About Us – Organisational Chart". SPRING Singapore. Archived from the original on 5 December 2007. Retrieved 14 January 2008. 
  6. ^ "About Us – SPRING Singapore (Standards, Productivity and Innovation Board)". Ministry of Trade and Industry. Retrieved 14 January 2008. 

External links[edit]