Iron 14.0.850.0 on Puppy Linux 5.2.8 Lucid Puppy showing the new tab page.
|Initial release||September 18, 2008|
|Stable release||26.0.1450.0 (Windows) / April 9, 2013|
|Operating system||Linux, Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows|
|Size||30.4 MB (Iron 26.0.1450.0 for Windows)|
|License||Proprietary ("all rights reserved")|
SRWare Iron, or simply Iron, is a freeware web browser implementation of the Chromium source code by SRWare of Germany, which primarily aims to eliminate usage tracking and other privacy-compromising functionality that the Google Chrome browser includes. While Iron does not provide extra privacy compared to Chromium after proper settings are altered in the latter, it does implement some additional features that distinguish it from Google Chrome, such as built-in ad blocking.
Iron is issued by SRWare under an "all rights reserved" license, indicating that it is made from a combination of proprietary and free software, although in download page SRWare claims "Iron is free and OpenSource." 
Development history 
More recent versions of Iron have been released since then, which has gained the features of the underlying Chromium codebase, including Google Chrome theme support, a user agent switcher, an extension system, integrated Adblocker and improved Linux support.
If a user has Chromium installed, attempting to run Iron and Chromium simultaneously will open a new window of the first browser opened. Iron and Chromium also share all data (i.e. Bookmarks, History, etc.).
Differences from Chrome 
- RLZ identifier, an encoded string sent together with all queries to Google or once every 24 hours.
- Google search access on startup for users with Google as default search
- A unique ID ("clientID") for identifying the user in logs.
- A timestamp of when the browser was installed.
- Google-hosted error pages when a server is not present
- Google Updater automatic installation.
- DNS pre-fetching, because it could potentially be used by spammers.
- Automatic address bar search suggestions.
- Bug tracking system, sends information about crashes or errors.
See also 
- Iron news page
- New Iron-Version
- Screenshot of about page (version 14.0.850.0)
- SRWare (undated). "SRWare Iron: The Browser of the future - Overview". Retrieved 18 July 2010.
- SRWare Iron download, About File, License specified
- SRWare Iron download page. Retrieved 2nd May 2013.
- Kai Schmerer (10 August 2010). "Microsoft aktualisiert Browser-Auswahlbox". ZDnet. Retrieved 10 September 2010.(German)
- BrowserChoice.eu (undated). "Choose Your Browser". Retrieved 29 April 2012.
- "Iron Pre-Alpha for Linux Download". Retrieved 29 July 2011.
- "New Iron-Version: 4.0.275 Beta for MacOS". Retrieved 29 July 2011.
- Whats the difference between Iron and Chrome?
- "Privacy, unique IDs, and RLZ - Google Chrome".
- "Google Chrome, Chromium, and Google". Retrieved 28 January 2010. See Which Google Domain
- "View of /trunk/src/chrome/browser/google/google_url_tracker.cc". Retrieved 15 November 2010. Source code comment on line 31
- See discussion at http://blog.chromium.org/2008/09/dns-prefetching-or-pre-resolving.html