SSC Tuatara in display
|Manufacturer||SSC North America|
|Production||2011 (pre production prototype and components)
|Body and chassis|
|Engine||6.9 L (423.6 cu in) twin-turbo V8|
|Transmission||7-speed manual or 7-speed semi-automatic|
|Wheelbase||105.0 in (2,667 mm)|
|Length||174.4 in (4,430 mm)|
|Width||78.4 in (1,991 mm)|
|Height||43.0 in (1,092 mm)|
|Curb weight||2,750 lb (1,250 kg)|
|Predecessor||SSC Ultimate Aero|
According to the manufacturer, the Tuatara (Pronounced twu-tar-ah) will use an SSC designed billet aluminium Turbocharged 6.9-Litre V8 engine block that will redline at 9,200 rpm and deliver 1,350 hp (1,007 kW) and 1,280 lb·ft (1,735 N·m) at 6,800 rpm on 91 RON rated unleaded premium petrol. Its engine will be capable of 1,700 hp (1,268 kW) with emission controls removed. The car will weigh 2,750 pounds (1,250 kg) due to a carbon fiber construction (including the wheels) and aluminium crumple zones. This means it will manage a power-to-weight ratio of over 1,000 hp (746 kW) per tonne. The manufacturer claims the Tuatara will accelerate from a stop to 62 mph (100 km/h) in 2.3 seconds and the top speed is estimated to be 276 miles per hour (444 km/h).
Engine specifications and general data
- Type: SSC-designed billet aluminium V8 (ZVL1 Total Block V8)
- Displacement: 423.6 cubic inch (6,941 ccm)
- Compression Ratio: 8.625:1
- Horsepower: 1,350 bhp (1,007 kW; 1,369 PS) or 1,700 bhp (1,268 kW) @ 6,800 rpm
- Torque: 1,280 lb·ft (1,735 N·m) @ 6,800 rpm
- Redline: 9,200 rpm
- Fuel Injection: Electronic Sequential Port
- Oil: SAE 5W/30 Fully Synthetic Racing
- Induction System: Sequential, multi-port fuel injection, Twin Turbo Chargers. Dual-Water to Air Intercoolers.
- Fuel: Premium Unleaded - 91RON Pump Octane
- Transmission: 7-Speed Manual H-Pattern or 7-Speed SMG Paddle Shift.
- Clutch: Triple Disc Carbon Ceramics-Zicro'Titanium Clutch
- Weight to Horsepower Ratio: 2.0 lbs/hp
- Weight Distribution F/R: Front: 44% / Rear: 56%
- Wheelbase: 105.0 in (2,667 mm)
- Length: 174.4 in (4,430 mm)
- Width: 78.4 in (1,991 mm)
- Height: 43.0 in (1,092 mm)
- Ground Clearance: 4.0 in (102 mm)
Chassis and body
- Layout: Mid-Engine (Aero Direct-Straightline position of Engine)
- Drivetrain: Longitudinal Adjustable Optional Electrological Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)
- Body/Frame: Carbon Fiber/Carbon Fiber/Aluminum Crash Structures
- Coefficient of Drag (Cd): 0.328
- Frontal Area: 18.0 sq. ft.
- Brakes: Front: 15.0" Vented Slotted Carbon Ceramic Discs/8-Piston Caliper. Rear: 15.0" Vented Slotted Carbon Ceramic Discs/6-Piston Caliper.
- Wheels: One-Piece Carbon Fiber (Carbon Revolution) 19x9-1/2" Front, 20x13" Rear
- Tires: Michelin Pilot Ultra Sport PS2-F1
- Front: 235 35 (YR)19.
- Rear: 335 35 (YR)20.
- Steering: Rack and Pinion, Variable Electric Assist Tilt Column
- Turns, Lock to Lock: 2.5
- Turning Circle: 41.6 ft (12.7 m)
- Suspension: Front & Rear: Unequal Length Upper and Lower A-Arms, Coil Over Springs, Remote Reservoir-Adjustable Penske Coil-Over Shocks, Cab Controlled Air Lift, Anti-Roll Bar.
- Total Dry Weight: 2,750 lbs.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to SSC Tuatara.|