The SUW 2000 design is manufactured by Polish company ZNTK Poznań for Polish State Railways (PKP). It is used at two border stations, enabling trains to Lithuania and Ukraine to proceed without the need for lengthy bogie exchange.
The following interchange and break-of-gauge locations were fitted with a SUW 2000-compatible track gauge changing facility, allowing trains crossing those routes to be fitted for gauge-changing, rather than bogie-replacement:
- Installed 1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) - 1,520 mm (4 ft 11 27⁄32 in)
The SUW 2000 method of variable gauge system was designed by Ryszard Suwalski.
- Kanclerz, Miroslaw (2007-10-09). "Study on European Automatic Track Gauge Changeover Systems (ATGCS)". Gdansk: UIC. Retrieved 2008-12-07. "Variable gauge systems: SUW 2000, Poland; DBAG/Rafil Type V, Germany; CAF BRAVA, Spain; Talgo RD, Spain; Japan RTRI; Korea KRRI [..] DB Rafil and PKP SUW 2000 are technically compatible and thereby ‘interoperable’"
- Butkevičius, Jonas (2007-02-01). "Development of passenger transportation by railroad from Lithuania to European states" (PDF). TRANSPORT XXII (2): pp.76. ISSN 1648-4142. Retrieved 2008-12-07. "additional funds should be provided for the acquisition of 8 units of SUW 2000 axles. These axles are required for replacement during the maintenance inspection and during the exploitation in case of defects, as production of one wheel-gauge usually takes 6 months. The price of acquisition of one SUW 2000 amounts to about 115 thous. Lt. The total sum, needed for acquisition of wheel-gauges, would make up 0,92 mill. Lt"
- Waryń, Piotr (May 2005). "Experience and results of operation the SUW 2000 system in traffic corridors: I – Warsaw – Vilnius, III – Krakow – Kiev, II – Warsaw – Minsk – Moscow." (PDF). PKP Intercity. Retrieved 2008-12-07. "... Beginning of operation: 29 October 2000; Place: Polish – Lithuania border; activation of the track gauge changing facility (TSP) in Mockava (LG). ... Beginning of operation: 15 December 2003; Place: Polish – Ukrainian border; activation of the track gauge changing facility (TSP) in Mostiska-2 (UZ)"
- Steane, Paul. "Border Crossings: Lithuania - Poland". Enthusiast's Guide to Travelling the Railways of Europe. Retrieved 2011-08-30. "(Šeštokai -) Mockava LG - Trakiszki PKP (- Suwałki): [D] PKP works to Šeštokai on standard gauge tracks, which are interlaced with broad gauge 1520mm from Mockava. There is a "SUW2000" gauge changing system at Mockava but this was used only by the overnight passenger train pair which was withdrawn after 28 May 2005 and replaced by a road service. One daytime train pair runs between Warszawa, Suwałki and Šeštokai, with connections from/to Vilnius."
- Experience of SUW 2000 - see map on page 19
- Steane, Paul. "Border Crossings: Poland - Ukraine". Enthusiast's Guide to Travelling the Railways of Europe. Retrieved 2011-08-30. "(Przemyśl -) Medyka PKP - Mostiska 2 UZ (- Lvov): [E] Starting from 1st June 2009, PKP operates a daily night train Kraków - Lvov, using the 1435mm gauge line to/from the SUW2000 gauge changing facilities at Mostiska 2. The 1520mm daytime passenger trains use the gauge changing facilities at Przemyśl. UZ works freight trains to Medyka. On the Polish side the 1520mm gauge continues to Zurawica, on the Ukrainian side 1435mm gauge track ends at Mostiska 1."
- Kopacz, Henryka (2003-06-10). "PKP SUW 2000 – revolution in rail transport". Polish Market Online, Corporate Spotlight. Retrieved 2008-12-07. "The SUW 2000 system developed by Ryszard Suwalski, D. Sc., C.E. allows automatic wheel span adjustments on rolling stock, enabling trains to travel over different-gauged tracks. [...] Mr Suwalski’s invention involves special junctions which adjust wheel span to track gauge as stock travels through."
- ZNTK-supplied 4RS/N bogie, a variable gauge wheelset
- South East Europe Transport Observatory (SEETO) with maps and picture of SUW 2000 system
- Picture of transfer track/SUW 2000 wheelset, from bearing supplier Schaeffer
- East West Conference 1435/1520[clarification needed]
- 1435/1520 Seminar 2005[clarification needed].
- (Polish) Sirts
- Experience of SUW 2000 in operation
- ZNTK data sheet about SUW 2000 VGA
- Diagram showing operation of Spanish Talgo (not SUW 2000) gauge changing facility (dead link as of 8/16/11)
|This rail-transport related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|