Shaheed Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto Institute of Science and Technology
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2014)|
|Shaheed Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto Institute of Science and Technology|
|Chancellor||Dr. Azra Fazal Pechuho|
|President||Dr. Saqib Rizavi|
|Vice-president||Dr. Amanat Ali Jalbani|
|Location||Karachi, Larkana, Hyderabad, Islamabad, Dubai, Sindh, Islamabad CT, Pakistan, UAE|
|Campus||Urban, Rural and Residential|
|Colours||Cobalt, White, Black|
|Affiliations||HEC, PEC, UoL, UoSW|
Shaheed Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto Institute of Science and Technology (popular as SZABIST), is a private research university located with multiple campuses in the residential and commercial areas of Pakistan as well as UAE. Its main campus, however, is located in the residential town of Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan.
Founded in 1995 with an efforts led by its founder Benazir Bhutto, the university is honored and named in the remembrance of Zulfikar Ali Bhutto. Financial endowment and research funding are coordinated by the leadership of the PPP. The university offers undergraduate, post-graduate and doctoral studies in various academic programmes. It is the member of the Association of Commonwealth Universities of the United Kingdom as well as the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business and among other international education associations. It is regarded as one of the notable private research institution of higher learning in the country and ranked among top-ten institution by the HEC, as of 2013.
In addition, its business management programme is notably listed in top ranking by the Business Week and ranked among noticeable science institution by the CNN & Time and Asiaweek. The university is identified as a major and one of the largest private universities in the country as an area-wise by the HEC.
SZABIST is the only Pakistani Institute to have been recognized internationally by BusinessWeek, Asiaweek, Asia Inc. and CNN.
- BusinessWeek, the leading international business magazine, has listed SZABIST among the best business schools of the world for six years (2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006 &. 2008).
- Asia Inc, a leading Asian Magazine, has ranked SZABIST among the top MBA Schools of South Asia in its Asia's Best MBA Schools Survey for two consecutive years (2003,2004).
- SZABIST was also ranked among the best Science and Technology and MBA schools in Asia by the CNN-Time publication, Asiaweek.
- SZABIST is also listed in the CNN Executive Education Schools, 2009.
The school offers programs in management sciences, computer sciences, media sciences, law, economics and social sciences. Some of the programs offered are external programs offered in collaboration with universities in the UK. Following is a list of offered degrees:
- Management Sciences: Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA), Master of Business Administration (MBA), Master of Science (MS) in Management Sciences and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Management Sciences.
- Computer Sciences: Bachelor of Science (BS) in Computer Sciences, Master of Science (MS) in Computer Sciences, Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Computer Sciences.
- BE Mechatronics Engineering: Bachelor of Engineering (BE) in Mechatronics Engineering
- Social Sciences: Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Media Studies, Bachelor of Sciences (BS) in Social Sciences and Economics, Master of Science (MS) in Social Sciences & Economics and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Social Sciences & Economics.
- Media Sciences: Bachelor of Science (BS) is offered in Media Sciences with majors in Production and Advertising.
- External programs: Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto Institute of Science and Technology offers external programs in Law (LLB) and Economics and Development (BSc) in collaboration with the University of London.
- Intermediate program: SZABIST offers Intermediate at SZABIST Intermediate Larkana in affiliation with Bise Larkana.
Research & Development
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (May 2014)|
SZABIST comprises a host of research centers that provide practical and sustainable solutions to the issues of a developing country such as Pakistan.
Stem Cell Research Centre (SCRC). Stem Cells and related fields are said to become a force to reckon in the future especially as far as bio-medicine and technology are concerned. This kind of research will enable the programming of cells towards specific organs that can breathe new life into damaged tissues of the body. Thus, SCRC hopes to establish laboratories that focus on the tissue culture of human tissues/cells, with particular focus on cancer.
Centre for Renewable Energy Research (CRER). A need for a renewable energy is imperative now more than ever. In a country like Pakistan, where the energy crisis remains unabated, a renewable energy source would prove to be highly beneficial. Therefore, the CRER is geared towards creating energy from natural sources such as sun, wind, water, geothermal, and biomass resources.
Sustainable Development Research Centre (SDRC) has been developed for research on a variety of policy initiatives for the promotion of renewable energy in the country along with generating awareness about the same.
SZABIST provides a wide range of financial assistance to meritorious and needy students. The Scholarships available at SZABIST are financed through SZABIST'’s own resources, as well as, those funded by donor agencies. For instance;
- SZABIST Need-Based
- SZABIST Merit-Based
- Sindh Endowment Fund
- Balochistan Endowment Fund
- HEC-USAID Need and Merit-Based
- National Information and Communication Technology
- Ihsan Trust Qarz-e-Hasna Facility
- Various Community / Sponsored Scholarships
All scholarships cover full or partial tuition fee, however, in some cases scholarships also cover books, boarding, transportation, monthly stipend and admission fee. A fair and transparent process is adopted to select the students for these scholarships. The process entails shortlisting of candidates on the basis of objective criteria, followed by a panel interview to assess the candidates’ financial eligibility. In case of scholarships funded by external donor agencies, the selection process also includes physical verification of student’s information prior to award of the scholarship. Students are eligible to apply for financial assistance after admission.
Executive Development Center (EDC) at SZABIST, facilitates students in the completion of their degree requirements, personal grooming, job placements and keeping in touch with the Alumni for relation building, corporate networking & profile update. In collaboration with the industry, EDC arranges on-campus recruitment drives and management trainee programs at reputable local and multinational companies.Annual job fair is also held at campus where leading companies are invited to discuss their recruitment policies and criteria, current and future vacancies, exploiting the opportunities to interact directly with the students. To bridge the gap between classroom and work situation, SZABIST has instituted a mandatory internship program.
SZABIST is ranked amongst top three universities for 2014 in Business and Information Technology by the Higher Education Commission (HEC).
SZABIST has signed articulation agreements with the University of Wales Newport, UK and the University of Northampton, UK. SZABIST has signed MoUs with the State University of New York, USA; University of London, UK; Philippines Women University, Philippines; and the Asian Academy of Film & Television, India.
ZMF (Medial Festival)
The ZAB Media Festival is an annual event organized by the Department of Media Sciences.
- University press. "Campuses of the SZABIST". University press. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- "Location and address of main campus of SZABIST". google maps. google maps. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- "The Founder". The Founder. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- "Board of Trustees". Board of Trustees. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- "ACU Members". ACU Members. ACU Members. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- "AACSB listing members". AACSB listing members. AACSB listing members. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- Govt. Pakistan. "HEC Rankings". Govt. Pakistan. Higher Education Commission of Pakistan. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- "INTRO". INTRO. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- – Ranking of Higher Education Commission (HEC) Recognized Universities in Pakistan