Diana Sailplanes Diana 2
|SZD 56 Diana|
|SZD 56-2 Diana 2, training before World Grand Prix, Andes|
|Role||15 Meter-class sailplane|
|Manufacturer||PZL-Bielsko, Diana Sailplanes|
|Designer||Bogumił Bereś, Krzysztof Kubrynski|
|First flight||29 November 1990 (Diana),
12 January 2005 (Diana 2)
The SZD-56 Diana is a 15 metre class glider originally designed by Bogumił Bereś at PZL-Bielsko. However PZL Bielsko went bankrupt before it could be put into serial production. The rights to the design were taken over by a new entity, Diana Sailplanes, which developed the design further and called it the Diana 2. By 2011 the aircraft was being produced by Design Office Bogumil Beres. This glider first flew on 12 January 2005.
Design and development
The Diana is a single-seat high-performance 15-metre class sailplane. It is a mid-wing cantilever monoplane with a T-tail unit. It has an all composite carbon-aramid-epoxy structure. The wing has plate airbrakes protruding from the upper surface only with full-span flaperons. The Diana has a retractable main landing gear with a fixed tail wheel.
The Diana 2 features a number of structural innovations, including a spar-less wing. The wing had been designed by Krzysztof Kubrynski, Ph.D., using numerical flow simulation methods (computer programs of his design). It uses variable profile of the KL-002 family. For fuselage-wing interference minimization reasons, the wing is thinner at the root. Also the lead and trailing edges do not follow any straight lines, necessitating production depending heavily on CNC technology. The new wing offers considerably better performance at high speeds and better immunity from surface contamination. The plane also has an unusual side-stick control system to accommodate the pilot in its unusually narrow cockpit. The possible water ballast in the wings is by almost 60 kg (130 lb) higher than the empty weight of the glider so that the Diana 2 has a very large range of wing loadings from 28 to 58 kg/m² (5.7 to 11.9 lb/ft²).
Sebastian Kawa won first three (2005, 2007, 2010) FAI World Grand Prix Championships in Diana 2. Also thrice (2006, 2010 and 2012) pilots (Janusz Centka, Stefano Ghiorzo and Sebastian Kawa) flew Diana 2 to 1st place in World Championships in 15m class.
Specifications (Diana 2)
Data from 
- Crew: One
- Capacity: 240 kg (63.4 US gal / 529 lb) of water ballast
- Length: 6.88 m (22 ft 5 in)
- Wingspan: 15.00 m (49 ft 2 in)
- Height: 1.35 m (4 ft 43 in)
- Wing area: 8.16 m2 (88 ft2)
- Aspect ratio: 27.57
- Empty weight: 182 kg (401 lb)
- Gross weight: 500 kg (1,100 lb)
- Maximum speed: 270 km/h (146 knots/170 mph)
- Stall speed: 60 km/h (32.4 knots/ 37.2 mph)
- Maximum glide ratio: > 50
- Rate of sink: 0.45 m/s (89 ft/min)
- Aircraft of comparable role, configuration and era
- Related lists
- Piotr Piechowski: Polnische Segelflugzeuge: SZD-56 Diana (in German) - accessed 2008-08-26
- Bayerl, Robby; Martin Berkemeier; et al: World Directory of Leisure Aviation 2011-12, page 141. WDLA UK, Lancaster UK, 2011. ISSN 1368-485X
- www.samolotypolskie.pl: Krzysztof Kubryński
- "Skrzydło SZD-52-2 Diana 2"
- Diana Sailplanes: DIANA 2 - accessed 2008-08-26
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to SZD-56 Diana.|