Amirul Mumineen Sultan Muhammadu Sa'ad Abubakar III (born August 24, 1956 in Sokoto) is the 20th Sultan of Sokoto, the titular ruler of Sokoto in northern Nigeria, head of Jama’atu Nasril Islam (Society for the Support of Islam - JNI), and president-general of the Nigerian National Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA). As Sultan of Sokoto, he is considered the spiritual leader of Nigeria's 70 million Muslims, roughly 50 percent of the nation's population. On November 2, 2006, Sa'adu Abubakar succeeded his brother, Muhammadu Maccido, who died on ADC Airlines Flight 53, the flight crashed shortly after takeoff from Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport and had been destined for Sokoto.
Sa'adu Abubakar is a younger son of the 17th Sultan, Siddiq Abu Bakar dan Usuman, who held the Sultanate for over fifty years. Abubakar began his military career in 1975 and was commissioned a second lieutenant two years later. After that he served in the elite Armoured Corps. He did military training overseas, including in India and Canada. He headed a presidential security unit of the Armoured Corps that guarded then military ruler General Ibrahim Babangida in the late 1980s. Abubakar also commanded a battalion of African peacekeepers in Chad during the early 1980s as part of the Organisation of African Unity's force and was military liaison officer for the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) in the mid 1990s. In addition to that, he served with West Africa's peacekeeping force in Sierra Leone and was Nigeria's military attaché to Pakistan when he was recalled to take office as the 20th Sultan of Sokoto.
- Paden, John N. (2008). Faith and politics in Nigeria. Washington, DC: US Institute of Peace Press. pp. 32f. ISBN 978-1-60127-029-0.
- Adedimeji, Adam; Ajakaye, Rafiu (2008-12-06). "Controversy as north celebrates Sallah on Arafah Day". Daily Independent (Lagos), via odili.net (Independent Newspapers Limited). Retrieved 2009-02-11. [dead link]
- Nigeria gets new Islamic leader
- The Sokoto Caliphate and its Legacies
- From Nigerian soldier to Sultan of Sokoto
- Sa'adu Abubakar is new Sultan of Sokoto
- Profile: Muhammed Sa'adu Abubakar BBC News, Thursday, 2 November 2006, 10:30 GMT
|Sultan of Sokoto
November 2, 2006–current