|— Town —|
|• Town manager||Janne Kinnunen|
|• Total||1,422.73 km2 (549.32 sq mi)|
|• Land||1,251.93 km2 (483.37 sq mi)|
|• Water||170.8 km2 (65.9 sq mi)|
|Area rank||75th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||98th largest in Finland|
|• Density||8.29/km2 (21.5/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||99.4% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||15.7%|
|• 15 to 64||61.4%|
|• 65 or older||23%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||20%|
Saarijärvi is a town and municipality of Finland. It is located in the province of Western Finland and is part of the Central Finland region. The municipality has a population of 10,373 (28 February 2013) and covers an area of 1,422.73 square kilometres (549.32 sq mi) of which 170.8 km2 (65.9 sq mi) is water. There are all together 241 lakes in Saarijärvi. Biggest lakes are Pyhäjärvi, Summanen and Lake Saarijärvi. The population density is 8.29 inhabitants per square kilometre (21.5 /sq mi).
Saarijärvi is the home of Bonden Paavo (Finnish: Saarijärven Paavo) in the poem by Johan Ludvig Runeberg. Juho Hyytiäinen, the great grandfather of Pamela Anderson, left the village in 1908 emigrating to the American continent.
Sister cities 
- Gran, Norway
- Hadsten, Denmark
- Hinnerup, Denmark
- Kungsbacka, Sweden
- Trittau (Amt) consisting of the following municipalities: Grande; Grönwohld; Großensee; Hamfelde; Hohenfelde; Köthel; Lütjensee; Rausdorf; Trittau and Witzhave, Germany
- Commune of Loire-Divatte consisting of the following municipalities: Barbechat; La Remaudière; Le Landreau; Le Loroux-Bottereau; Saint-Julien-de-Concelles and La Chapelle-Basse-Mer, France
- "Area by municipality as of 1 January 2011" (PDF) (in Finnish and Swedish). Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- "VÄESTÖTIETOJÄRJESTELMÄ REKISTERITILANNE 28.2.2013" (in Finnish and Swedish). Population Register Center of Finland. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "Saarijärvi (kunta)". Järviwiki. Finland's Environmental Administration. 2012. Retrieved 27 February 2012.
- "Ystävyyskuntatoiminta". City of Saarijärvi. Retrieved 2012-06-01. (Norwegian)
Media related to Saarijärvi at Wikimedia Commons
- Town of Saarijärvi – Official website
|This Western Finland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|