|Sabang, Aceh Darussalam
Location of Sabang in Aceh
|• Mayor||Zulkffi H Adam|
|• Total||153.00 km2 (59.07 sq mi)|
|Population (2014 Estimate)|
|Time zone||WIB (UTC+7)|
|Area code(s)||+62 652|
Sabang is a municipality consisting of a main island (Weh Island) and several smaller islands off the northern tip of Sumatra. The islands form a city within Aceh Special Region, Indonesia. The administrative centre is located on Weh Island, 17 km north of Banda Aceh. The city covers an area of 153.0 square kilometres and according to the 2010 census had a population of 30,653 people; the latest estimate (for January 2014) is 32,271. Sabang is also known as the northernmost and westernmost city in Indonesia, located at 95.5 E, 6.0 N.
The Japanese occupied the island and installed numerous bunkers, fortifications and gun emplacements. Their remnants can still be seen, though most have been re-purposed or removed.
- Klah Island (0.186 km²)
- Rondo Island (0.650 km²)
- Rubiah Island (0.357 km²)
- Seulako Island (0.055 km²)
- Weh Island (121 km²)
The city is divided into two districts (kecamatan), listed below with their populations at the 2010 Census:
Sabang is served by the Maimun Saleh Airport. The airport is located southeast of the central city on Weh Island.
International sail tourism event
Sabang Municipality hosted an international sail tourism event in September 2011. The sail race was participated in by around 50 ships with 15 crew members each. Besides sailing they visited interesting places packed in a 'tsunami' tourism, visit Gapang and Iboih Beach with enchanting underwater scenery.
- http://www.depkes.go.id/downloads/Penduduk%20Kab%20Kota%20Umur%20Tunggal%202014.pdf Estimasi Penduduk Menurut Umur Tunggal Dan Jenis Kelamin 2014 Kementerian Kesehatan
- Seta,William J. Atlas Lengkap Indonesia dan Dunia (untuk SD, SMP, SMU, dan Umum). Pustaka Widyatama. p. 7. ISBN 979-610-232-3.
- Biro Pusat Statistik, Jakarta, 2011.
- RH, Priyambodo (28 May 2011). "Sabang to host sail tourism event in September". antaranews.com. Retrieved 13 December 2013.