Sabel (TV series)
|Directed by||Don M. Cuaresma
Francis E. Pasion
|Opening theme||"Hagkan" by Nina|
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|Original language(s)||Filipino, English|
|No. of episodes||70|
|Running time||30-45 minutes|
|Picture format||NTSC (480i)|
|Original run||December 6, 2010 – March 11, 2011|
After five years in showbiz, Jessy Mendiola is now in the line of Kapamilya Drama Princesses such as Kim Chiu, Erich Gonzales, Andi Eigenmann, Empress Schuck, Melissa Ricks, Shaina Magdayao, and Maja Salvador, who are now all full-fledged drama heroines. After Mendiola's participation in the hit teleserye Kung Tayo'y Magkakalayo, she was given the primetime soap Sabel, based on the 1981 classic movie Bata Pa Si Sabel—which starred award-winning film and television icons Snooky Serna and Albert Martinez, under Regal Films—and like many classic films under Regal Entertainment that were classics such as Underage, which was used as a Your Song Sunday presentation, and Katorse.
When Choleng falls in love with a priest Julio her life darkens when the townspeople get back at her when they find out Julio and Choleng are going to leave their community thinking that Julio would leave his responsibilities in his home town where the village needs help and prayer to heal love ones little did she know that the night they would run away with their soon to be born child to start a new life that a storm changed everything and when Julio gets into an accident leading him to his death one night as Sabel is born and with Julio's death the townspeople think Choleng's daughter is a curse as bad things occur she decides to not argue and refuses and ignores the problems around her she decides to give Sabel a better future by leaving the village and start a new life and when Choleng and her mother Amparo are offered help by a common couple among dearest friends they land a new life in a better community after baby Sabel got sick, but as she grew up she becomes a fighting young woman she fights for her family,and when her mother and grandmothers great fear of her true identity and look for her father Choleng does everything in her power and even falls for Jimmy but Margaret is desperate for Jimmy but her mother refuses Jimmy's true sincerity and love and even offers her to get married and accepts anything that has happened to her in the past but Choleng and Sabel's love for Jimmy and accepting him as a father will only mean to Choleng that she does not want to lose him as for Sabel as she grows up and even for love there is a solace she finds this into Dido and Raymond but time comes again when she will follow into the same situation her mother was in and this time will time repeat itself and the Question is love a sin when one's feelings are true? as she shows the townspeople and people around her that she is not cursed with this life and that life has no meaning without love.
Main cast 
- Jessy Mendiola as Isabel "Sabel" Asuncion-Zaragosa † - Daughter of Choleng and Julio. Margaret, Candido's mom, convinces people that she's cursed and brings forth bad luck. She is unaware of her father's true identity. She is Candido's love interest but their relationship always stir up trouble for his and her family so she ended the relationship. A few years later, she meets Eric, her new love interest and got married to him. She fainted in the hospital where Eric appeared in Sabel's dream before he died to tell her that she is pregnant and his last request is for Dido to protect her from harm. She has inherited all the properties and money savings that Eric saved up because she is the widow of Eric but she didn't want what she inherited. She gave all of it to his mother, Bettina. She went to prison because Margaret made it look like she was the one who stabbed Margaret with a knife. Sabel wanted to show the people of her town that she's not the type of person they think she is. Therefore, she created a foundation to help the people in need in her town. Anton and Margaret kidnapped her daughter but she got caught in the cross fire where Anton shot her in the back because she protected Dido from being shot. Because is Margaret's told Antonio for wants to killed Sabel. Her last request is for him to go back to the church to become a priest which he did. Margaret placed Erica on the ground and ran off where Dido picked up Erica to put her beside Sabel. Sabel kissed her daughter time and finally told Dido she loved him, then she died.
- AJ Perez † as Candido "Dido" De Dios - a good, lovable and adopted son to Margaret. He was made to enter the seminary upon his mother's request. He was having second thoughts about becoming a priest but in the back of his mind, he thought of what might have been with Sabel. He is Sabel's good friend after he saved Sabel by almost getting drowned in the ilog, then became Sabel's love interest after He asked her to J.S Prom and their kisses. Few years later, He saw Sabel at the Dessert Festival, where she baked buko pie, then he saw Sabel kissing Eric, then felt heartbroken. He still have feelings for Sabel but she is now engaged and married to Eric. He has continued his quest in becoming a priest and protecting Sabel from harm-a request from Eric before he died, but he discontinued his quest in becoming a priest because he want to spend his life with Sabel, but Sabel won't accept it. After the kidnapping of Sabel's daughter, Erica, Sabel's last request was for him to go back to the church to become a priest after she got shot from Antonio. In the end, he became a full priest 6 years later.
- Joseph Marco as Raymond Sandoval† - Dido's brother. His mother, Margaret, believes that he is a bad influence to Dido. He tried to avoid Kimberly and was shocked that Kimberly was pregnant with his child. His daughter and Kimberly lives with him. He has found a way to get Sabel to trust him and wants to help Sabel with the accusations against her but that has all changed in court for Sabel's court hearing. He died when he got shot by a gun from Margaret to save Sabel from being shot, his own mother and she blamed Sabel once again for shooting Raymond.
- Rita Avila as Margaret De Dios-Sandoval - Julio's younger sister and a lover of Jimmy Sandoval. She had an adopted son named Dido, who falls in love with Sabel. She is an authoritative parent because she pushed Dido to enter priesthood which caused Dido's loneliness. She blames Sabel for everything and persuading everyone into thinking that Sabel and her family are bad people. In her case, she is the one who is doing the evil deeds and blaming Sabel for all she's doing. She accidentally shoot Raymund with a gun, when she was about to shoot Sabel, and all of the people in Santa Elena blames her for shooting Raymund and being a true, "salot". Margaret's told Antonio for wants to killed Sabel. In the end she told the whole people from Santa Elena that Choleng and her family are not salot then she was sent to jail for her idea for killing Sabel.
- Glydel Mercado as Choleng Asuncion - Sabel's mother. In the past, she had affair with a priest. She had 3 relationships: with Julio, a priest, Jimmy, a lover for the longest time and Anton, a colleague. She and her daughter are despised by Margaret.
Recurring Cast 
- Diether Ocampo as Frederico "Eric" Zaragosa† - Moves on with his life after Cassandra died and Sabel reminds him of her after many encounters with Sabel, he's having romantic feelings for Sabel. He was willing to wait until Sabel accepted him as her boyfriend and she agreed now husband. Eric was taken to the hospital because he was having a severe headache after confronting Margaret about Sabel. His mother was concerned and his condition with a brain tumor got worse which caused him to die. He appeared in Sabel's dream before he died to tell her that she is pregnant and his last request is for Dido to protect Sabel from harm.
- Raymond Bagatsing as Jimmy Sandoval - Edgardo's old personnel. Margaret secretly loved him. When Margaret knew that he loved somebody else, she pushed Jimmy to marry her. He is also the father of Raymund.
- Jaclyn Jose as Bettina Imperial-Zaragosa. Dermatologist and helps people in need who can't afford medical treatment especially what had happened to Sabel's neck. Her friend, Margaret, has persuaded her into thinking that Sabel and her family are,"Salot!", and she started to hate Sabel after the fire and not knowingly that Margaret hired Antonio as the arsonist to set fire to her home. She had spoken to Dido and Jimmy and she is aware of what type of person Sabel is which is she isn't a greedy person when Sabel gave all her inheritance to Bettina. Dido and Jimmy got her to understand that led her to believe that Sabel is not a bad person and she will help free Sabel from imprisonment.
- Ron Morales as Antonio Amorado† - Sabel's Stepfather and Choleng's new Husband. He tried to rape Sabel and forcing Margaret for money. Because is Margaret pays plenty of money to Antonio, that is why he is very bad. He had faint because is Drunk by setting his home on fire when she confronted him about taking her father's gun from her home. Antonio apparently survived and Margaret was shocked that he was still alive. Because Escape from Fire. Because Margaret's told Antonio for Wants to killed Sabel. And he died when he got shot by a gun from Dido.
- Tommy Abuel as Edgardo de Dios† - Margaret's father and Sabel's Grandfather, Dido and Raymond's grandfather. He had followed anything Margaret wanted. He also blackmailed Jimmy to marry Margaret because of the latter's supposed sickness. He died after Anton beat him up, and hit his head to a hard rock.
- Daria Ramirez as Amparo Asuncion - Choleng's mother and Sabel's grandmother. She had taken care of Sabel when Choleng worked abroad.
Extended Cast 
- Spanky Manikan as Tino. The new friend of the family of Sabel who help them find a place to stay. He has a pineapple plantation which Sabel and her family sold pineapple as cars passed by and stop to buy pineapple from them along the streets.
- Bryan Homecillo as Jefferson. He used to hate Sabel, Now he became friends with Raymond.
- Shey Bustamante as Kimberly. She attended the same high school as Sabel and Dido. She likes Dido's brother Raymond and would do anything for him not to think about Sabel. She and Raymond have a daughter together. Kimberly lives with Raymond's family and knows that Raymond still has feelings for Sabel even though they married. She doesn't like that her husband is helping Sabel with her current situation. Now that Raymond had died, Kimberly became a widow and now raise their daughter as a single parent.
- Natasha Cabrera as Twinkle. Sabel's best friend and she will do anything to help Sabel in anyway she can. She also attended the same high school as Sabel and Dido. She attended Sabel and Eric's wedding and was the maid of honour in their wedding.
- Fred Payawan as Bryan. He is the business partner and friend of Eric. Also, he helped Sabel if she wanted to inherit everything Eric left behind for her and their daughter.
- Eagle Riggs as Donna. The friend of Sabel in the pineapple plantation.
- Aldred Gatchalian as Alvin. The friend of Dido in the seminary
- DJ Durano as Father Manny
- Chinggoy Alonzo as Father John
Guest cast 
- Tonton Gutierrez as Julio de Dios† - A priest who loved Choleng and part of the "De Dios" family. Sabel's biological father. He died when he got hit by the sail of the boat, when Sabel was born.
- Precious Lara Quigaman as Cassandra Zaragosa† - Eric's girlfriend who died. Note: She only appears in Eric's flashbacks.
- Angel Olano known as Mutya Orquia as Young Sabel Asuncion (Four years old)
- Abby Bautista as Young Sabel Asuncion (child)
- Diamond Delani as Young Candido "Dido" De Dios
- Rusianne Jandrisa Ilao as Young Raymond Sandoval
- Kimberly Fulgar as Young Twinkle
See also 
- Franco, Bernie. "Jessy Mendiola is the lead star of new teleserye ‘Sabel’". Push.com.ph. Retrieved 1 December 2010.