Sacha Dean Biyan
|Sacha Dean Biyan|
|Born||1 October 1968|
Biyan was born on October 1, 1968 and grew up in Montreal, Canada. He began his career as a deejay in the mid 80s. He then went on to earn a Master's degree in Aeronautical Engineering and worked in the aerospace and defense industry. Though he had no formal training in photography, he began experimenting with cameras, film and darkroom techniques at an early age. His affinity for photography led him to switch careers again in the late 90s.
Biyan has shot for Sony Music, Adidas, the Gap and Discovery, and his images have appeared in GQ, Vogue and Marie Claire. He has held solo exhibitions of his works in São Paulo, Florence, Barcelona, Paris, Tokyo, and in Los Angeles as a benefit for Amnesty International. Biyan is the author of two fine art books, Spiritus Mundi, which documents his encounters with remote indigenous tribes in Brazil, Ecuador, Bolivia, Peru, The Philippines, Indonesia, etc.; and Eccentris, a retrospective of his work in fashion and advertising from 1998-2006. His images also served as the inspiration for the music CD, Dessous Presents Eccentris: Skin Is In as well as the iTunes album Eccentris Vibes, both released in 2006.
Favourite Website Awards has described his website, Eccentris.com, as "about as cutting edge as you will see." In 2002, Communication Arts named the site one of its Interactive Annual 9 winners, and it was subsequently featured in the September/October 2003 issue of Communication Arts. In 2004, it was recipient of the FITC award for best navigation. His websites have also been showcased in Taschen's 1,000 Favorite Websites and Taschen's Web Design Portfolios.
- 2005 : Spiritus Mundi. Editora DBA. Hardcover ISBN 978-8-5723432-5-1. Portuguese/English.
- 2007 : Spiritus Mundi. Great Circle Books. Paperbound ISBN 978-0-9798631-0-3. English.
- 2012 : Eccentris. Editions Lumiere. Hardcover ISBN 978-0-578-10981-7. English.
- Infiniti Racing
- The New Pioneers
- Sao Paulo, Memorial da America Latina Museum Exhibition video footage
- Amnesty International.
- Ford, Rob, "FWA Review, Best Photo Sites".
- Communication Arts Interactive Annual 9 Winners
- Interactive Annual 9: Eccentris
- FITC 2004 Winners
- ISBN 3-8228-2586-7
- ISBN 3-8228-4041-6
- Eccentris: Sacha Dean Biyan - Biyan's website. Requires Flash.
- Earth Pilgrim - Website dedicated to his work with indigenous groups around the world. Requires Flash.