|Industry||Camera Support, Broadcast Industry|
|Key people||Joop Janssen, Managing Director|
Sachtler is a manufacturer of film and video camera support products and reporter lighting equipment. The company was founded in 1958 and was integrated in Great Britain’s Vitec Group plc. in 1995.
Wendelin Sachtler was a cinematographer, actor and inventor. In 1958 he designed the first tripod head. This so-called gyroscopic head provided not only pans and tilt motion, but also added gyroscopic damping to smooth out camera moves. The new tripod head proved so popular with fellow camera operators that it led to the foundation of a new company, Sachtler, to meet demand.
Beginning in 1958, the company's founder Wendelin Sachtler built his tripod heads in a small workshop in Munich-Schwabing, Germany. After a pair of moves, since 2004 Sachtler GmbH has been located in Eching near Munich. Sachtler has 150 employees worldwide and is represented by retailers in more than 140 countries. The company has production facilities in Germany, Costa Rica and Great Britain.
The company's portfolio can be divided into:
- Camera support
- Camera stabilizer systems artemis by Sachtler | inventor and designer: Curt O. Schaller
- Reporter lighting equipment
- Wendelin Sachtler Academy (provides training in film and video production) | tutor: Curt O. Schaller
The camera support division includes the production of Sachtler fluid heads, tripods and pedestals. The reporter lighting division includes LED lighting, daylight and tungsten light. The Wendelin Sachtler Academy presents speakers with many years experience in the film and video production business who pass on their practical experience.
- "Wendelin Sachtler". Germany: www.sachtler.de. Retrieved 8 April 2010.
- Hermann Simon mentioned this company in his correspondent Book as an example of a "Hidden Champion" (Simon, Hermann: Hidden Champions of the 21st Century : Success Strategies of unknown World Market Leaders. London: Springer, 2009.- ISBN 978-0-387-98147-5.)
- "Scientific and Engineering Award". USA: www.imdb.com. 30 March 1992. Retrieved 8 April 2010.
- artemis: camera stabilizer systems | Curt O. Schaller, inventor and designer of the camera stabilizer systems artemis by Sachtler
- Sachtler Academy | tutor: Curt O. Schaller, inventor and designer of the camera stabilizer systems artemis by Sachtler