Sacramento Southern Railroad
|Sacramento Southern Railroad|
|Locale||Sacramento Freeport, California; original route was to Walnut Grove|
|Terminus||Freeport, California; original route was to Walnut Grove|
|Connections||Union Pacific Railroad (Freight)|
|Built by||The original Sacramento Southern Railroad
a non-operating subsidiary
of the Southern Pacific Company
|Original gauge||4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm) standard gauge|
|Owned by||California State Railroad Museum|
|Operated by||California State Railroad Museum|
|Preserved gauge||4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm) standard gauge|
|1912||Merged with Central Pacific Railroad|
|(?)||Became a part of the SP system|
|~1978||Property acquired by the museum|
|(?)||Freight service resumed|
|Headquarters||California State Railroad Museum at Sacramento|
The original Sacramento Southern Railroad ran south 24.3 miles (39.1 km) to Walnut Grove, California via Freeport and was a non-operating subsidiary of the Southern Pacific Company incorporated in 1903.
The line was constructed between 1906–1912, and the first train began operating over the line in 1909. It was merged in 1912 with the Central Pacific Railroad upon completion of the line to Walnut Grove. The line was extended to Isleton by 1929. In 1931, a 3-mile (5 km) extension of the branch reached the Mokelumne River.
The railroad later became a part of the SP system who filed with the Interstate Commerce Commission to abandon the line, and did so on October 10, 1978. Around that time the California State Railroad Museum started acquiring the rail property, and started excursions in 1982. Recent years have seen a resurgence in the road's freight business, serving a number of local industries via an interchange with the Union Pacific Railroad. Future plans call for expanding operations southward into the Sacramento River Delta area.
- List of heritage railroads in the United States
- Sacramento RiverTrain—which operates excursions across the Sacramento River from the SSR
- "All Aboard! Excursion Train Rides". California State Railroad Museum. Retrieved May 29, 2012.
- Hecteman, Kevin W. (9 March 2009). Sacramento Southern Railroad. Arcadia Publishing. p. 128. ISBN 9780738569864.
- "History of the Sacramento Southern Railroad". California State Railroad Museum. Retrieved 2012-12-11.
- Roberston, Donald B. (1998). Encyclopedia of Western Railroad History — Volume IV — California. Caldwell, ID: The Caxton Printers. ISBN 0-87004-385-4.
- Media related to Sacramento Southern Railroad at Wikimedia Commons
- "SSRR Signal Department Home Page". Retrieved 2012-12-11.
|This article about a United States railway museum or tourist railway is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|